Taylor Polynomial for f(x) = √(x+1) | Approximate & Find Error

In summary, using the Maclaurin series, the third Taylor polynomial P3(x) for the function f(x) = \sqrt{x+1} about a=0 is given by f(x) = 1 + \frac{1}{2} x - \frac{1}{8} x^2 + \frac{3}{48} x^3. To approximate f(0.5), we can plug in x=0.5 in the equation. To find the actual error, we can plug in x=0.5 in f(x) and subtract the result from the approximation. The remainder R4 can also be used to put an upper limit on the error, with the c value lying between
stunner5000pt
Find the thrid taylor polynomial P3(x) for the function [itex] f(x) = \sqrt{x+1} [/itex] about a=0. Approximate f(0.5) using P3(x) and find actual error

thus Maclaurin series

[tex] f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + \frac{f''(0)}{2} x^2 + \frac{f^{3}(0)}{6} x^3 [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = x + \frac{1}{2} x - \frac{1}{8} x^2 + \frac{3}{48} x^3 [/tex]
am i right so far?
To approximate f(0.5) i simply put x=0.5 in the above equation?
How do i fin the actual error, though?
DO i have to use the remainder in this? Please help!

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
am i right so far?

All but the first term is right. [itex]f(0)\neq x[/itex]

To approximate f(0.5) i simply put x=0.5 in the above equation?

After you fix it, yes.

How do i fin the actual error, though?

Plug x=0.5 into f(x) on a calculator, and subtract your result from it. You won't exactly get the "actual" error because your calculator approximates, too. But it will be a very good estimate.

DO i have to use the remainder in this? Please help!

That depends on what is asked for. The remainder doesn't give you the actual error, but rather the maximum of the actual error. So unless you were asked to put bounds on the error, I would think that you would not have to use the remainder.

[tex] f(x) = 1 + \frac{1}{2} x - \frac{1}{8} x^2 + \frac{3}{48} x^3 [/tex]

i see the problem, its fixed now :smile:

im being cautious so I am goingto put hte upper limits

[tex] R_{4} = \frac{15}{384} (c+1)^{\frac{-7}{2}} x^4[/tex]

so the error must be lesser than or equal to this R4 value. THat c value lies between 0.5 and x?

Is this right?

is this how one would solve for the maximum possible error as stated in the above post? Please do advise

Thank you for your help and input

1. What is the Taylor polynomial for f(x) = √(x+1)?

The Taylor polynomial for f(x) = √(x+1) is given by the formula:
Pn(x) = √(1) + (x-1) * (√(1)/2) + (x-1)^2 * (-√(1)/8) + ... + (x-1)^n * (-1)^n * √(1)/2 * (3/4) * (5/6) * ... * (2n-1)/(2n).
This can also be written as:
Pn(x) = ∑k=0n (-1)^k * (√(1)/2) * (3/4) * (5/6) * ... * (2k-1)/(2k) * (x-1)^k.

2. How do you approximate f(x) = √(x+1) using the Taylor polynomial?

To approximate f(x) = √(x+1) using the Taylor polynomial, plug in the desired value of x into the polynomial and simplify. The higher the degree of the polynomial, the more accurate the approximation will be. For example, to approximate f(3), plug in 3 for x in the polynomial and simplify.

3. What is the error in the Taylor polynomial approximation for f(x) = √(x+1)?

The error in the Taylor polynomial approximation for f(x) = √(x+1) is given by the formula:
|Rn(x)| ≤ M * |x-a|^(n+1),
where M is the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative of f(x) on the interval [a,x].
In this case, a = 1, since the Taylor polynomial is centered at x = 1. The maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative of f(x) on the interval [1,x] can be found by taking the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative of (√(x+1))' = (1/2)(x+1)^(-1/2).

4. How can I use the Taylor polynomial to find the error in my approximation?

To find the error in your approximation using the Taylor polynomial, follow these steps:
1. Determine the degree of the polynomial (n).
2. Find the (n+1)th derivative of the original function.
3. Find the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative on the interval [1,x].
4. Plug in the maximum value and the value of x into the error formula: |Rn(x)| ≤ M * |x-a|^(n+1).
5. This will give you an upper bound for the error in your approximation.

5. What is the significance of the Taylor polynomial for f(x) = √(x+1)?

The Taylor polynomial for f(x) = √(x+1) is significant because it allows us to approximate the value of the square root function at any point using a polynomial. This is helpful in situations where the square root function may be difficult to evaluate, such as when using complex numbers. The polynomial also gives us an upper bound for the error in our approximation, allowing us to determine the level of accuracy of our approximation. Additionally, the Taylor polynomial can be used to find derivatives of the original function, making it a useful tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.