Understanding Randall Sundrum Model: Weakness of Gravity

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the Randall-Sundrum model proposes that the weakness of gravity arises because of the small overlap of the graviton wavefunction in the 5th dimension with our brane. The paper references standard string theory and assumes that the branes are or are within our four dimensional universe. The extra dimension takes the form S_1 \times Z_2 . When \phi is zero, the warp factor goes to 1 and this corresponds to the hidden brane.
robousy
Hi I wanted to ask about the following metric:

[tex]ds^2=e^{-2 kr_c \: \phi} \: \eta_{\mu \nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu + r_c^2 d\phi^2

[/tex]

It is a proposed solution to the hierachy problem i.e the weakness of gravity.

when [tex] \phi =0 [/tex] the exponential factor goes to 1 and that corresponds to our physical brane, and when it goes to [tex] \phi = \pi [/tex] then we have the exponential supression of the spacetime separation and that corresponds to the metric of the hidden brane.

I would like to understand why this has the effect of making gravity weaker.

I have read the paper but don't really understand the physical reasoning.

The paper says 'the weakness of gravity arises because of the small overlap of the graviton wavefunction in the 5th dimension with our brane.'

I don't really get this and would love to hear from someone who understands this.

Looking forward to hearing from someone!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think we need more information about the model to say anything sensible. What is the reference for this? Giving that metric by itself doesn't indicate a solution to the hierarchy problem in any meaningful way without more information.

In the Randall-Sundrum theory the graviton wave function is produced from rxcitations of a closed string; this is standard string theory. The other bosons are produced from some construction of open strings with their endpoints fixed on branes. Again this is a standard approach. Randall-Sundrum assumes the the branes are, or are within, our four dimensional universe, which is the boundary of a five dimensional brane. Thus the graviton's string can move into the fifth dimension, while the other bosons' strings cannot. Quantally, this means the graviton wave function is at least partially in the higher space, which boils down to less probability of finding the boson in our universe, which translates into a weaker force.

David said:
I think we need more information about the model to say anything sensible. What is the reference for this? Giving that metric by itself doesn't indicate a solution to the hierarchy problem in any meaningful way without more information.

Yes, sorry I should have provided the paper reference:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9905221

selfAdjoint said:
In the Randall-Sundrum theory the graviton wave function is produced from rxcitations of a closed string; this is standard string theory. The other bosons are produced from some construction of open strings with their endpoints fixed on branes. Again this is a standard approach. Randall-Sundrum assumes the the branes are, or are within, our four dimensional universe, which is the boundary of a five dimensional brane. Thus the graviton's string can move into the fifth dimension, while the other bosons' strings cannot. Quantally, this means the graviton wave function is at least partially in the higher space, which boils down to less probability of finding the boson in our universe, which translates into a weaker force.

Thanks for your response.

I think my mental picture may be incorrect here.

I was picturing two x (3d+1) branes separated by the extra (compact) dimension in which only gravity can propogate. Is this the right mental picture?

Also, I find the warp factor quite interesting. The extra dimension takes the form [tex] S_1 \times Z_2 [/tex].

Now, this means the warp factor goes to 1 when [tex]\phi[/tex] is zero which is supposed to correspond to the hidden brane and on the 'other side' of the 5th dimension [tex]\phi[/tex] goes to [tex]\pi[/tex] and the warp factor becomes (very) significant as the [tex]kr_c[/tex] is said to be about 50 so we get something on the order of [tex]e^{-150}[/tex] and this corresponds to 'our' universe.

Now, the metric is the separation between 2 points - so the warp factor physically translates to space being 'smaller' or 'crunched up' in one universe compared to the other (I think) and I wander if this has any bearing on the picture?

Maybe you help me obtain some insight here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
anyone else maybe?

:)

1. What is the Randall Sundrum model?

The Randall Sundrum model is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to provide an explanation for the weakness of gravity compared to the other fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does the Randall Sundrum model explain the weakness of gravity?

The model proposes that there may be additional spatial dimensions beyond the three we are familiar with, and that gravity is able to "leak" into these extra dimensions, making it appear weaker in our perceived three-dimensional world.

3. What evidence supports the Randall Sundrum model?

While there is currently no direct evidence for the existence of extra dimensions, the model is able to solve certain problems in cosmology and particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the cosmological constant problem.

4. What are the limitations of the Randall Sundrum model?

One of the main weaknesses of the model is that it is still purely theoretical and has not been experimentally verified. Additionally, it does not provide a complete explanation for the weakness of gravity and leaves some unanswered questions.

5. How does the Randall Sundrum model relate to other theories in physics?

The Randall Sundrum model is often compared and contrasted with other theories such as string theory and supersymmetry, as they all attempt to address the hierarchy problem and other open questions in physics. However, the Randall Sundrum model is unique in its focus on extra dimensions and its ability to potentially explain the weakness of gravity.