How to get mag. & angles of resultant couple moment

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of a resultant couple moment for two valve handles. The user has already calculated the magnitudes for the left and right handles, but is unsure about the direction and how to incorporate the angle of the right handle. Another user reminds them to consider the direction of the moments, as they are vectors, and advises against posting the same question in multiple threads.
caddyguy109
I have another thread for another problem, but no one seems to be responding about this second problem, so i'll post it here.

Need to find the magnitude and direction/space angles of the resultant couple moment of two valve handles being turned, as pictured:
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/2488/problem64sx.jpg

Would the resultant mean at the origin of the axes? So far, I've done this, using the left as A and the right as B:

M=(d)(F)
MA=(0.175m)(35N)=6.125Nm
MB=(0.175m)(25N)=4.375Nm

Should the forces have unit vectors k on them? If what I did is somewhat right, then how do I get the resultant magnitude and direction if the only other piece of data given is that the wheel on the right is angled 60deg. from the y-axis--no other distances, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your magnitudes are correct, but these moments are vectors. What direction do they point? ([itex]\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex]) Add those vectors.

(And please don't post the same question in mutliple threads! It's generally best to post one problem per thread.)

To find the magnitude and direction/space angles of the resultant couple moment, you will need to use vector addition and trigonometry. First, you will need to determine the individual moments of each valve handle, as you have already done for MA and MB. These moments represent the magnitude and direction of the forces applied by each handle.

Next, you will need to use vector addition to find the resultant moment. This can be done by adding the individual moments using the parallelogram method or by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry. Once you have the resultant moment, you can use trigonometry to find the direction or space angles of the moment.

As for the unit vectors, it depends on how you are representing your forces. If you are using Cartesian coordinates, then your forces should have unit vectors. If you are using polar coordinates, then unit vectors are not necessary.

It is important to note that the resultant moment will not necessarily be at the origin of the axes. It will depend on the location of the applied forces and their directions.

If you are still having trouble finding the resultant moment, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or seek assistance from a professor or tutor. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can provide step-by-step instructions for solving vector problems.

1. How do I find the magnitude of a resultant couple moment?

To find the magnitude of a resultant couple moment, you need to first determine the magnitude of each individual couple moment. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) to calculate the magnitude of the resultant couple moment.

2. What is a couple moment?

A couple moment is a type of moment that occurs when two equal and opposite forces act on an object, causing it to rotate without translation. This results in a rotational force, or moment, around a fixed point.

3. How do I determine the angles of a resultant couple moment?

To determine the angles of a resultant couple moment, you need to first identify the angles of each individual couple moment. Then, use trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to calculate the angles of the resultant couple moment.

4. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that the sum of clockwise moments about a point must be equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments about the same point. This principle is used to calculate the resultant couple moment.

5. Can a resultant couple moment be zero?

Yes, a resultant couple moment can be zero if the sum of clockwise moments is equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments. This means that the object is in a state of equilibrium, with no rotation occurring.