Solving Strongly Correlated Systems: An Introduction to the Slave Boson Method

• Thread starter MalleusScientiarum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boson Method
In summary, the conversation is about the slave boson method in strongly correlated electronic systems. The person is looking for a paper to start with and move on from, specifically the one that introduces the concept. The suggested paper is Kotliar and Ruckenstein, Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 1362-1365 (1986). The conversation also mentions Kotliar as a well-known figure in Dynamical Mean Field Theory and his recent preprint on "spectral density function theory" in strongly correlated systems.
MalleusScientiarum
[SOLVED] Slave Boson method

I am currently writing a term paper for my many-body QM course about the slave boson method in strongly correlated electronic systems. Can someone perhaps point me to a paper to start with and move on from? I can't seem to find the paper that introduces the concept, and that would be greatly appreciated if someone knows where I can find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at : Kotliar and Ruckenstein, Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 1362–1365 (1986) ?

Too bad there aren't any response back from the OP, since this is such an interesting topic.

Kotliar, btw, is one of the "giants" in the Dynamical Mean Field Theory. And it is also interesting that he has a preprint out today on a review of the use of "spectral density function theory" in strongly correlated systems.

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0511085

It's a tough but interesting reading.

Zz.

What is the slave boson method?

The slave boson method is a theoretical approach used in condensed matter physics to solve strongly correlated systems. It was developed in the 1980s and has been applied to a wide range of problems, including high-temperature superconductivity and magnetism.

How does the slave boson method work?

The slave boson method introduces auxiliary particles, known as slave bosons, to represent the missing degrees of freedom in a strongly correlated system. These bosons are coupled to the original particles and their dynamics are determined by a set of self-consistent equations. By treating the slave bosons as independent variables, the original complex problem can be simplified and solved more easily.

What types of systems can the slave boson method be applied to?

The slave boson method can be applied to a variety of systems, including Hubbard models, Anderson models, and t-J models. These systems are characterized by strong interactions between particles, making them difficult to solve using traditional methods.

What are the advantages of using the slave boson method?

The slave boson method allows for a more accurate description of strongly correlated systems compared to other methods. It also provides a better understanding of the underlying physics and can be applied to a wider range of systems. Additionally, the method is computationally efficient, making it a useful tool for studying complex systems.

What are some limitations of the slave boson method?

While the slave boson method has proven to be successful in many cases, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not accurately capture the effects of quantum fluctuations in certain systems. It also relies on certain approximations and assumptions, which may not always hold true. As with any theoretical approach, it is important to carefully consider the results and their interpretation.