Exploring Chemical Engineering as a Career

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's thoughts about pursuing a career in engineering and their specific interests in chemical, mechanical, and electrical engineering. They suggest seeking advice from professionals and researching different engineering programs to gain a better understanding of the field. The speaker, who is a chemical engineer, describes common tasks and areas of focus in college for chemical engineering, as well as the potential for biochemical engineering to become a high-demand field. They also mention the high average salaries for engineers, with chemical engineers ranking among the highest.
tatiana
As I am starting to think more about college and what career I want to major in I am questioning what engineering I would be most comfortable with and would like the most. I'm also even questionign if engineering in general is what I would want to do for the rest of my life.

I wanted to now if anyone could provide insight for me on what the job is like working as a chemical or ME or EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
try google or youtube:
http://www.discoverengineering.org

It would be a good idea to shadow an engineer or talk to an undergraduate advisor in the engineering dept. of the college of your choice. Also, try looking at the colleges/universities that have good engineering programs and look at the degree plans. It'll help you get a feel of what you're getting into.

best of luck!

I'm a chemical engineer (cheme) and have worked at a nuclear power plant and a pharmaceutical plant. Common tasks for me would be monitoring equipment conditions, efficiencies, diagnosing malfunctions, process modeling, and so on. Cheme’s can do a lot of things. I know some who are lab rats and some who work in oil refineries. Refineries are raw chemical engineering and will use every bit of knowledge you’ve ever acquired in college, but they pay well. A boss could ask a cheme to do anything from checking pressure drops across lines to finding a catalyst for a specific reaction and designing the reactor.

In college cheme’s focus a lot on thermodynamics, mass transfer, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, design, and of course, mathematics (calc I & II, multivariable calc, and differential equations). They also take a lot of chemistry, physics, reaction kinetics, maybe some biology, quantum mechanics, and controls. Many schools offer dual degrees with chemistry and make it easy to obtain minors in math and other subjects.

Chemical engineering is now becoming biochemical engineering because everyone believes this field will have a high demand. Some schools are even replacing their cheme departments for biocheme departments. I would be weary of such an intense focus in any engineering field.

Many statistics show cheme’s with the highest average salary with ME’s, EE’s and then CE’s following not too far behind.

What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and optimize processes for the production of various products. Chemical engineers work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and materials processing.

What skills are required to become a chemical engineer?

Some essential skills for a chemical engineer include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex systems and data. It is also important to have a solid foundation in chemistry, physics, and mathematics, as well as good communication and teamwork skills.

What are the job prospects for chemical engineers?

The job outlook for chemical engineers is positive, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019-2029. Chemical engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including research and development, process design and optimization, and quality control.

What education is required to become a chemical engineer?

To become a chemical engineer, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree or a Ph.D. for certain positions. It is also beneficial to gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs.

What are some potential challenges of a career in chemical engineering?

Some challenges of a career in chemical engineering may include working with hazardous materials and processes, tight deadlines and fast-paced environments, and the need to constantly adapt to new technologies and processes. It is also a highly competitive field, so networking and staying up-to-date with industry developments is important for success.