Can I get a master's in nuclear engineering without doing nuclear engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in nuclear engineering in Australia. The individual is currently enrolled in a mechanical engineering course and is considering the option of completing a mechanical engineering degree and then pursuing a masters in nuclear engineering in the US. The conversation also mentions the availability of nuclear physics courses at certain Australian universities and internships at ANSTO. It is suggested to gain as much experience and knowledge in physics as possible in order to increase chances of being accepted into a nuclear engineering program. The importance of talking to a counselor and an Australian nuclear engineer is also emphasized.
Nookular
Hi,

Next year I am enrolled in an engineering course in my country, Australia. I want to be able to do nuclear engineering in future, but it is not offered here. What is offered however is mechanical engineering (among others of course).

My issue is that I don't want to go abroad for a 4 year period, as I would be spending at least $120,000 at absolute minimum. I only recently became interested in nuclear engineering and while this does seem fine with me, for a career I want to take, I want more time to think about it, and think about engineering as a whole before I blow all of it.

Would it be possible, for example, to complete a mechanical engineering degree, and then go to graduate school in the U.S to do a masters in nuclear engineering? Am I qualified to take a course in this since I won't do nuclear engineering beforehand? Also, if this is possible, will it limit me in any way?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The cool thing with Australian and American universities is you get more freedom with your course choices. So, if you're enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering program, you can still take courses from the Physics department; more specifically, any course pertinent to nuclear physics, which should probably be available, even if there isn't a nuke engineering program offered.

Check with the universities you've applied to (or the one you're going to - when do AUS unis give offers anyway?) if that's doable.

I went from a physics undergrad to a nuclear masters program, so it's certainly possible.

Thanks,

I applied a few months ago, and we get offered next week. I think I'm pretty certain that I will get into UQ, unless they substantially raise their intake level.

I know they have physics, and as you said, I've heard that you can take pretty much any electives you want, however I don't believe they subjects involving nuclear.

UQ have a fairly detailed courselist available on their website. So, look into that. You could also e-mail them and ask what courses they have to offer in the way of nuclear engineering?

Nookular said:
Would it be possible, for example, to complete a mechanical engineering degree, and then go to graduate school in the U.S to do a masters in nuclear engineering? Am I qualified to take a course in this since I won't do nuclear engineering beforehand? Also, if this is possible, will it limit me in any way?

I don't see why not.

If you can, I'd encourage you to try to take as much physics as you can. Nuclear courses are generally in the later years (I did mine in my third year) so getting the prerequisites might be problematic, unless you do double physics and engineering majors.

However! You can do some nuclear physics in Australia - the ANU has summer scholarships available (basically, you spend the summer doing research) for all Australians + NZ'ers and they have a really good nuclear department (I have some bias here). I know of at least one engineer who has done summer research in nuclear engineering.

Also! ANSTO offers undergraduate internships! You could do something there as well.

Last edited:
e.bar.goum said:
However! You can do some nuclear physics in Australia - the ANU has summer scholarships available (basically, you spend the summer doing research) for all Australians + NZ'ers and they have a really good nuclear department (I have some bias here). I know of at least one engineer who has done summer research in nuclear engineering.

That sounds pretty good. Is this an alternative to getting a masters to get into nuclear engineering? Or is this, to cover the prerequisites for the masters course?EDIT: I'll keep an eye on that, as they offers nanotechnology summer scholarships also, that's what I would do if I decided against nuclear.

Nookular said:
That sounds pretty good. Is this an alternative to getting a masters to get into nuclear engineering? Or is this, to cover the prerequisites for the masters course?

You'll still need to get a masters in nuclear engineering.

But it's good experience, you'll learn heaps, and having done undergrad research always looks good on your CV/applications.

Also, ANU & ANSTO summer research pays reasonably well.

EDIT in reply to your edit: They offer summer scholarships in *everything*. Well, everything they do.

I'll probably have to wait until I get into uni first, and ask a counselor of something about the direction in regards to subjects. I was under the impression that some of the master in nuclear engineering degrees only required an engineering degree.

Also, e.bar.goum, did your friend study engineering in Australia and still manage to get a nuclear engineering degree?

Nookular said:
I'll probably have to wait until I get into uni first, and ask a counselor of something about the direction in regards to subjects. I was under the impression that some of the master in nuclear engineering degrees only required an engineering degree.

Also, e.bar.goum, did your friend study engineering in Australia and still manage to get a nuclear engineering degree?

Yes, you only require an engineering degree, sorry to confuse. However, extra experience is always good, and grad school, especially in the US is competitive. And let's face it, research is fun. Internships generally happen in your second & third year, but since you're thinking about grad studies, I thought that wasn't too far in the future to consider.

Well, the friend I mentioned is still doing undergrad, so I'm not sure what his plans are. Another friend did a double degree in Physics & Engineering (electrical, I think), and worked at ANSTO straight after graduation (actually, during his Honours year as well). Another friend got a scholarship to MIT and is doing nuclear engineering there.

EDIT: Also, whilst talking to university counselors is a good idea, generally they only know specific information about their own university, rather than other options. I think it would be beneficial for you to talk to an Australian nuclear engineer - email someone at ANSTO! You'll find that on the whole, physicists and engineers really like to talk to undergrads/prospective students, so give it a go!

Ok, I'll have a look, thanks again.

at my uni, the nuclear program was a specialization that was taught by 3 different mechanical engineering professors. 99% of the students (occupy engineering) who took those courses were MechE or ChE, so get a degree in either one of those disciplines and you will be all good.

Sweet as, I'm going the mechanical (dual with aero) path anyway, as it covers pretty much all the areas of interest to me.

1. Can I get a master's in nuclear engineering without a background in nuclear engineering?

It is possible to get a master's in nuclear engineering without a background in nuclear engineering. Some universities offer bridge programs or prerequisite courses for students with a different undergraduate degree. However, it may be more challenging to be admitted into a master's program without a background in nuclear engineering.

2. Do I need to have a degree in engineering to pursue a master's in nuclear engineering?

While having a degree in engineering can be helpful, it is not always required to pursue a master's in nuclear engineering. Some universities may accept students with a strong background in physics, mathematics, or other related fields. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program.

3. Are there any alternative paths to a master's in nuclear engineering without a nuclear engineering degree?

Yes, there are alternative paths to a master's in nuclear engineering without a nuclear engineering degree. Some universities offer combined bachelor's and master's programs in nuclear engineering, which may be an option for students with a different undergraduate degree. Additionally, some employers may offer on-the-job training or professional development opportunities for individuals with a different background.

4. Can I transition into a career in nuclear engineering with a master's degree in a different field?

It is possible to transition into a career in nuclear engineering with a master's degree in a different field. However, it may be more challenging to do so without a background in nuclear engineering. It is important to gain relevant experience, such as internships or research projects, to make yourself more competitive in the job market.

5. What skills or knowledge do I need to have to succeed in a master's program in nuclear engineering without a nuclear engineering degree?

To succeed in a master's program in nuclear engineering without a nuclear engineering degree, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. Additionally, having knowledge of computer programming, data analysis, and problem-solving skills can be beneficial. It is also important to have a strong work ethic and be willing to learn and adapt to a new field of study.