Firework Color Emissions: Determining Energy of Strontium and Barium Salts

• Thread starter VenomHowell15
  • Start date
In summary, the reaction between a strong oxidizing agent and an organic compound in a fireworks device causes certain salts, such as strontium and barium salts, to emit specific colors. Strontium salts emit an intense red color at 631 nm, while barium salts emit a blue-green color at 493 nm. To calculate the energy of these emissions, the equation E=hv is used, assuming that each atom emits one photon. For 1.0 g of SrCl2, approximately 119.8 J of photons would be emitted, and a similar calculation can be done for BaCl2.
VenomHowell15
1.) In a typical fireworks device, the hat of the reaction between the strong oxidizing agent, such as KCLO4, and an organic compound excites certain salts, which emit specific colours. Strontium salts have an intense emission at 631 nm, and barium salts have one at 493 nm.

Part a was simple enough... Simply what are the colours. Strontium salts are essentially orange, and barium blue-green. Part b is as follows:

What is the energy of these emissions for 1.0g each of the chloride salts of Sr and Ba? Assume that all heat released is converted to light emitted.

I've been scanning through my lecture notes looking for an applicable equation, but E=mc^2 is reserved for nuclear reactions or relativistic rest energy, and I doubt that's what I'm looking for here... But I somewhat doubt doing a heat of formation thing would work here either. Any pointers?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
VenomHowell15 said:
1.) In a typical fireworks device, the hat of the reaction between the strong oxidizing agent, such as KCLO4, and an organic compound excites certain salts, which emit specific colours. Strontium salts have an intense emission at 631 nm, and barium salts have one at 493 nm.

Part a was simple enough... Simply what are the colours. Strontium salts are essentially orange, and barium blue-green. Part b is as follows:

What is the energy of these emissions for 1.0g each of the chloride salts of Sr and Ba? Assume that all heat released is converted to light emitted.

I've been scanning through my lecture notes looking for an applicable equation, but E=mc^2 is reserved for nuclear reactions or relativistic rest energy, and I doubt that's what I'm looking for here... But I somewhat doubt doing a heat of formation thing would work here either. Any pointers?

1.0 g of Sr(Cl)2 = 1/(87.6+70.9) = 6.3*10^(-3) mol of Sr

1.0 g of Ba(Cl)2 = 1/(137.3+70.9) = 4.8*10^(-3) mol of Ba

631 nm --> v = frequency = 3*10^8/6.31*10^(-7) = 4.8*10^14 Hz

493 nm --> v = 3*10^8/4.93*10^(-7) = 6.1*10^14 Hz

One photon emitted: E = hv

If every atom emits exactly one photon (I assume the question was meant in this way, but I would control this), then 6.3*10^(-3) mol of Sr atoms = [6.3*10^(-3)]*[6.0*10^23] = 3.78*10^21 Sr atoms would emit:

[3.78*10^21]*hv = [3.78*10^21]*6.6*10^(-34)*4.8*10^14

= 119.8 J of photons

You can do the same with Ba.

Make me know if the question was meant in the way I have assumed.
P.S. I would call the Sr emission "red" not "orange".

Last edited:

To determine the energy of the emissions for 1.0g each of the chloride salts of Sr and Ba, we can use the equation E = hc/λ, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s), and λ is the wavelength of the emission.

For strontium chloride, the emission occurs at 631 nm, so we can plug that into the equation to get:

E = (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)/(631 x 10^-9 m) = 3.14 x 10^-19 J

This is the energy of the emission for 1.0g of strontium chloride.

Similarly, for barium chloride, the emission occurs at 493 nm, so we can plug that into the equation to get:

E = (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)/(493 x 10^-9 m) = 4.03 x 10^-19 J

This is the energy of the emission for 1.0g of barium chloride.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that all of the heat released during the reaction is converted to light emitted. In reality, some of the energy may be lost as heat or sound, so these values may be slightly higher than what is actually observed. Nevertheless, this equation can give us a good estimate of the energy of the emissions for these salts.

1. What is the importance of seemingly simple questions in scientific research?

Seemingly simple questions often serve as the foundation for more complex scientific studies. They can spark curiosity and lead to innovative discoveries in various fields of study. These seemingly simple questions can also challenge existing theories and push scientists to think outside the box.

2. How do scientists approach seemingly simple questions?

Scientists approach seemingly simple questions by breaking them down into smaller, more specific questions and designing experiments and methods to answer them. They also utilize critical thinking and creativity to explore all possible angles and outcomes.

3. Can seemingly simple questions lead to groundbreaking discoveries?

Yes, seemingly simple questions have led to some of the most groundbreaking discoveries in science. For example, Isaac Newton's simple question of "why do apples fall?" led to the discovery of the laws of gravity. These questions may seem basic, but they can often reveal complex and significant answers.

4. How can seemingly simple questions be used to solve real-world problems?

Seemingly simple questions can be used to solve real-world problems by identifying the root cause of the problem and developing targeted solutions. By asking simple questions, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the issue and develop effective strategies to address it.

5. Are seemingly simple questions considered less important in scientific research?

No, seemingly simple questions are just as important as complex questions in scientific research. They can lead to new discoveries, challenge existing theories, and have real-world applications. In fact, many groundbreaking studies have started with seemingly simple questions.

Back