Three Problem Plus from Stewart Calculus

• Thread starter yupenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, Problem 3 asks for the value of c such that the areas of the shaded regions are equal. The first shaded region is outside the parabola and below the line y= c. The second is the region above the line and below the parabola. To find the value of c, the student must find x0 and x1.
yupenn
Three "Problem Plus" from Stewart Calculus

Homework Statement

Please visit Google Book for online access to the Stewart Calculus 6ed.
http://books.google.com/books?id=EBE3vMmGu50C&pg=PP1&dq=stewart+calculus&ei=gYdPSvXyB4_AlQTg9PCACw

The problem No. 3,4 and 8 that are located on Page 380 and 381.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for prob 3: it's hard to work out two points of intersection since the equation is cubic.
for prob 4: i don't figure out how to choose the "direction" of cross-sections.
for prob 8: we need to calculate the volume of the overlap section. but how?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

There's no preview available for the book...

Bohrok said:
There's no preview available for the book...

please follow my link. it may take some time to download the image of preview.

When I click the link, some gray text on the page says "No preview available"
Previews of Google books always load immediately for me, but nothing loads for this one because there is no preview, at least for me in Firefox and IE.

I'm also getting a "No preview available" message - perhaps you should post the questions

thanks. I've uploaded the screenshot.

Attachments

• t1.JPG
    t1.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 541
  • t2.JPG
    t2.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 442

Problem 3 says:
The figure shows a horizontal line, y= c, intersecting y= 8x- 27x2. (It might be x3- the screenshot is very small.) Find the number c such that the areas of the shaded regions are equal. The first shaded region is outside the parabola and below the line y= c. The second is the region above the line and below the parabola.

Using vertical rectangles and Letting x0 and x]sub]1[/sub] be the x values where the parabola and rectangle intersect, the first integral is
[tex]\int_0^{x_0} [c- (8x- 27x^2)] dx[/tex]
and the second is
[tex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1} [8x- 27x^2- c] dx[/tex]
Do those integrals, set them equal and solve for c. Here, the hard part is finding x0 and x1.

1. What is "Three Problem Plus" from Stewart Calculus?

"Three Problem Plus" is a supplementary resource for Stewart Calculus textbooks that provides additional challenging problems for students to practice and improve their understanding of calculus concepts. It is designed to help students develop problem-solving skills and deepen their understanding of calculus.

2. How is "Three Problem Plus" different from the regular problems in the textbook?

The problems in "Three Problem Plus" are more challenging and require a deeper understanding of calculus concepts. They often involve multiple steps and require students to think critically and creatively to solve them. They are designed to push students beyond the basic problems in the textbook and help them develop a deeper understanding of calculus.

3. Who can benefit from using "Three Problem Plus"?

"Three Problem Plus" is beneficial for any student studying calculus, whether they are struggling with the subject or looking to challenge themselves further. It is also a useful resource for teachers who want to provide their students with additional practice and support their learning.

4. How can "Three Problem Plus" help improve my calculus skills?

The challenging problems in "Three Problem Plus" can help improve your problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills, and understanding of calculus concepts. By practicing these problems, you will become more familiar with the material and be better prepared for exams and assignments.

5. Is "Three Problem Plus" suitable for self-study or should it be used in a classroom setting?

"Three Problem Plus" can be used in both self-study and classroom settings. It is designed to supplement the material in the textbook and can be used as a tool for self-improvement or as additional practice for students in a classroom. However, it is recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with the problems.