Can someone check my explanation of sequences and series?

In summary: You refer to a_n but you define a_n in terms of a_{n+1} . So I guess I was assuming that you meant a_{n+1} instead of a_n . I know what you mean, but it is a bit confusing because the n is not the index of a_n , it is the index of the term that you want to compute. So, like I said, you probably meant a_{n+1} .In summary, a sequence is a list of numbers written in the form of ##a_1,a_2,a_3,...## and can be finite or infinite. Arithmetic sequences have a general term expression of ##a_n
Vishera
It's been a while since I've dealt with sequences and series. Here is my explanation of sequences and series and let me know if I am right or wrong.

A sequence is just a list of numbers. By convention, we use the letter ##a## for sequences and they are written in a form like so: ##a_1,a_2,a_3,a_4,...##

A sequence can be finite or infinite.

1,2,3,4 is a finite sequence. 1,2,3,4,... is an infinite sequence.

An arithmetic sequence, for some constant d: ##a_n=a_0+dn##
A geometric sequence, for some constant r: ##a_{ n }=a_{ 0 }r^{ n }##

A series is the sum of the terms of a sequence. By convention, is there a letter for series? I can't remember. Let us use the letter S in the meantime. Series are written like so: ##S_1,S_2,S_3,S_4,...##

Let Sn be the series of the finite sequence mentioned earlier. S1=1. S2=3. S3=6. S4=10.

Let Sn be the series of the infinite sequence mentioned earlier. S=∞

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone briefly mention which parts are wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Except for minor typo (you have Sn when you meant S in last line), looks fine.

When you explain arithmetic and geometric sequences, the general term expression(s) are given by:
[itex] a_n = a_0 + d(n-1) [/itex]
[itex] g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1} [/itex]
The [itex] n-1 [/itex] is necessary to generate the term; for example, the sequence
[itex] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,... [/itex]
is arithmetic, and if I wanted to generate the 6th term of the sequence, I would use:
[itex] a_6 = 1 + 1(6-1) = 6[/itex]
Had I used your expression, [itex] a_n = a_0 + dn [/itex], then the term would be:
[itex] a_6 = 1 + 1(6) = 7[/itex], which is obviously not the 6th term of the sequence.
The same goes for geometric sequences. Consider
[itex] 2, 4, 8, 16, 32,...[/itex]
If I wanted to generate the 6th term of this sequence, I would use:
[itex] g_6 = 2 \cdot (2)^{6-1} = 2 \cdot 32 = 64 [/itex]
Again, if I used your expression:
[itex] g_6 = 2 \cdot (2)^{6} = 2 \cdot 64 = 128 [/itex]
So really what your expressions do is generate the [itex] n + 1 ^{th} [/itex] term of the sequence, rather than the [itex] n^{th} [/itex]
Your explanations of series are also fine, but I might add the more formal definition of a series:
[itex] S_n = \sum_{i=0}^{n} t_i [/itex] which is really just the sum of some number of terms.Furthermore, an infinite sequence does not always add to infinity, as a geometric sequence with a ratio [itex] r [/itex] such that [itex]-1 < r < 1 [/itex] converges as [itex] n \rightarrow \infty [/itex]. The example that you gave, though, will diverge to [itex] \infty [/itex].

AMenendez said:
When you explain arithmetic and geometric sequences, the general term expression(s) are given by:
[itex] a_n = a_0 + d(n-1) [/itex]
[itex] g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1} [/itex]

Well, this would imply that [itex] a_0 = a_0 -d [/itex], which is not quite right. You probably mean [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex], but there's nothing wrong with Visheras explanation.

Last edited:
disregardthat said:
Well, this would imply that [itex] a_0 = a_0 -d [/itex], which is not quite right. You probably mean [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex], but there's nothing wrong with Visheras explanation.
I'm not sure what you're arguing, as [itex] a_{n+1} [/itex] implies a recursion, in which case (for an arithmetic progression) [itex] a_{n+1} = a_n + d [/itex]
Consider:
[itex] a_0 = a_0
\\
a_1 = a_0 + d
\\
a_2 = a_1 + d = (a_0 + d) + d = a_0 + 2d
\\
a_3 = a_2 + d = (a_0 + 2d) + d = a_0 + 3d
\\
a_4 = a_3 + d = (a_0 + 3d) + d = a_0 + 4d
\\
\vdots
\\
a_n = a_{n-1} + d = (a_0 + (n-1)d) \rightarrow a_n = a_0 + d(n-1)
[/itex]
Furthermore, for a geometric sequence:
[itex] g_0 = g_0
\\
g_1 = g_0 \cdot r
\\
g_2 = g_1 \cdot r = (g_0 \cdot r) \cdot r = g_0 \cdot r^2
\\
g_3 = g_2 \cdot r = (g_0 \cdot r^2) \cdot r = g_0 \cdot r^3
\\
\vdots
\\
g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1}
[/itex]
QED
Keep in mind that [itex] a_n [/itex] or [itex] g_n [/itex] is the [itex] n + 1^{th} [/itex] term.

If you look at the sentence I quoted you will see what I mean.

Likes 1 person

1. What are sequences and series?

Sequences and series are mathematical concepts that involve a list of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or rule. A sequence is a list of numbers in a specific order, while a series is the sum of a sequence.

2. How do you determine the pattern in a sequence?

To determine the pattern in a sequence, you can observe the difference between consecutive terms or the ratio between consecutive terms. This can help you identify whether the sequence is arithmetic or geometric.

3. What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric sequences?

In an arithmetic sequence, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in a geometric sequence, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

4. How do you find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you can use the formula for the specific type of series. For example, the sum of an arithmetic series can be found using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

5. What are some real-world applications of sequences and series?

Sequences and series are used in various fields, such as finance, physics, and computer science. For example, in finance, sequences and series are used to calculate compound interest, while in physics, they are used to model natural phenomena. In computer science, they are used in algorithms and data structures.