Updates: DMSO Decay After 18 Years - Share Results & Experiences

• Thread starter ClintNY2VA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discussed the decay and reactivity of DMSO and how after 18 years, a user's DMSO had completely decayed. The user also mentioned their observations of a crack in the cap and the difficulty in finding the proper ratio for pain relief. The conversation was then closed due to forum rules against self-medication.
ClintNY2VA
I saw the thread called Decay/Reactivity of DMSO and it was closed. Since the thread was inconclusive I have decided to share my results. After approximately 18 years my 99.9% DMSO has completely decayed.

When this happens it will no longer crystallize in the refrigerator. It will lose all effectiveness for pain relief.

One observation was that my cap had a crack causing some exposure to air, which could have led to oxidation and accelerated decay, yet there was no noticeable volume loss.

I didn't use it much because it makes me itch like crazy and I never found the proper ratio of dilution to minimize itching and achieve pain relief. Not to mention I never seem to throw anything away.

Not a bad shelf life, whatever happened. Anyone else have older DMSO that retained potency?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sorry, this is bordering self medication and as such is against the forum rules. Topic locked.

1. What is DMSO and why does it decay after 18 years?

DMSO, or dimethyl sulfoxide, is a widely used solvent in scientific research. It is known to have a limited shelf life, with one of the main reasons being its tendency to degrade over time due to oxidation and hydrolysis reactions.

2. How does DMSO decay affect experiments and research results?

The decay of DMSO can lead to changes in its chemical properties, potentially altering the outcomes of experiments and research results. This is especially important for studies where the stability and purity of DMSO are crucial for accurate data interpretation.

3. What factors can accelerate the decay of DMSO?

The decay of DMSO can be accelerated by exposure to light, heat, and air. Other factors such as the concentration and quality of DMSO, as well as the storage conditions, can also affect its rate of decay.

4. How can scientists prevent or slow down the decay of DMSO?

To prevent or slow down the decay of DMSO, it is important to store it properly in a cool, dark, and dry environment. It is also recommended to use high-quality DMSO and avoid exposing it to light, heat, and air for extended periods of time.

5. Are there any alternatives to using DMSO in experiments?

Yes, there are alternatives to using DMSO in experiments, such as other solvents or methods that do not require the use of DMSO. However, DMSO remains a widely used solvent in many areas of research due to its unique properties and versatility.