Matrix and transformation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two ways to shear an object in the Cartesian coordinate system, one involving finding the coordinate vector and multiplying the y-component by the shear factor, and the other using a transformation matrix. The conversation also touches on the possibility of performing multiple transformations on an object simultaneously using a 3 by 3 matrix in projective space.
adjacent
Gold Member
Let there be a triangle with coordinates A(2,2) , B(5,2) and C(5,4)
I have learned two ways to shear an object(x-axis invariant) in the Cartesian coordinate system.
The first way is to find the coordinate vector of a point and multiply the y-component of the vector by the shear factor(2)(Don't change the value) and replace the x-component with it.

The second way is to use the transformation matrix and multiply it with the coordinate matrix.
So the transformation matrix is ##\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2\\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}## and the cordinate matrix: ##\begin{pmatrix}2 & 5 & 5\\ 2 & 2 & 4 \end{pmatrix}## and the result is :
$$\begin{pmatrix}6 & 9 & 13\\ 2 & 2 & 4 \end{pmatrix}$$

This gives the same answer as the first method.However,the first method is easy to understand.
I realized that the matrix method does the same thing.It leaves the y-components as it is and add the ##\text{Shear factor} \times \text{Y-component}## to the x-component.

So when the matrix theory(or whatever) was made,that person must have considered these.The multiplication rule:Row and column made this transformation matrices useful.
My teacher asked to replace the ##0## with the shear factor.
I was wondering how did someone find this rule about replacing the zero?By guessing?
So can I make a transformation matrix which would translate,reflect,rotate,enlarge,stretch and shear it at the same time?
My main question here is how to make a transformation matrix which would transform the object in the way I like.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anyone?:mad:

adjacent said:
I was wondering how did someone find this rule about replacing the zero?By guessing?
So can I make a transformation matrix which would translate,reflect,rotate,enlarge,stretch and shear it at the same time?
My main question here is how to make a transformation matrix which would transform the object in the way I like.
If you have a 3 dimensional space, then you can reflect, rotate, enlarge, stretch, and shear by multiplying by a 3 by 3 matrix. But you cannot translate by multiplying by a matrix because any matrix times (0, 0, 0) would give (0, 0, 0) and translating will move (0, 0, 0) to some other point.

What you can do is use "projective space". We represent the point (x, y, z) by the array (x, y, z, 1) and include the "equivalence relation" that (ax, ay, az, a) represents the same point as (x, y, z, 1). That is, any time the last number is NOT "1", divide through by it. That way we could represent the transation by the vector (a, b, c) as a matrix multiplication:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & a \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & c \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x+ a \\ y+ b \\ z+ c \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Reflection, rotation, enlarging, stretching, and shearing would be the usual 3 by 3 matrix with the fourth row and column all 0s. And you would form a matrix that combines "reflecting, rotating, enlarging, translating, stretching, and shearing by forming the matrix for each of those and multiplying the matrices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your latex is broken.
I have not learned matrix transformation in 3-d space yet :frown:

adjacent said:
Your latex is broken.
It's fixed now.
adjacent said:
I have not learned matrix transformation in 3-d space yet :frown:

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent mathematical and geometric operations.

2. What is a transformation in relation to matrices?

A transformation is an operation that changes the position, size, or shape of an object. When using matrices, transformations are represented by multiplying the original matrix by a transformation matrix.

3. How do I multiply matrices?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, for each element in the resulting matrix, multiply the corresponding elements in the row of the first matrix and the column of the second matrix, and then add these products together. The resulting value is the element in the corresponding position in the resulting matrix.

4. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied by any other matrix, the identity matrix has no effect and the original matrix remains unchanged.

5. How can I use matrices to solve transformation problems?

Matrices can be used to efficiently solve transformation problems by representing the original object and the desired transformation as matrices, and then multiplying them together to get the resulting transformed object. This method can be used for various transformations such as translations, rotations, and reflections.