What is the capacitance of the sun?

In summary, the sun has a net charge, but it is neutral. This may explain why the corona and chromosphere are much hotter than the surface.
-RA-
What is the capacitance of the sun? semms like a straigtforward question but I can't seem to find any information on what it is. I'm don't know if it has been measured, or if its even possible to measure, but I would have thought a body that big and active as the sun would have an ability to store a certain amount of charge. is it a net positive or negative charge?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
As far as we know, the net charge on the sun is about 0, i.e. it's neutral. When protons (or other positively charged nuclei) get blown away (in the solar wind or CMEs), electrons go with them.

-RA- said:
What is the capacitance of the sun? semms like a straigtforward question but I can't seem to find any information on what it is. I'm don't know if it has been measured, or if its even possible to measure, but I would have thought a body that big and active as the sun would have an ability to store a certain amount of charge. is it a net positive or negative charge?

Capacitance is a differential concept. The capacitance of the sun with respect to what? Pluto? Earth? All of the planets? The nearest star?

berkeman said:
Capacitance is a differential concept. The capacitance of the sun with respect to what? Pluto? Earth? All of the planets? The nearest star?

i was wondering what the capacitance would be compared to the plasma in the solar wind at (for example) the asteroid belt. We know the solar wind is quasi-neutral but made of none-the-less of charged ions, so i am curious that if the sun does have a net charge and high voltage how this would effect charged ions in the solar wind. I know that curently we think it is neutral, but you can claim anything is neutral if you choose your own parameters, as berkeman correctly stated capacitance is a differential concept.

Is there anyway that we can test the neutrality of the sun? or is it just asumed to be that way?

there is a huge charge difference in Earths upper atmosphere that causes lightning to arc between the different potentials, but you can still claim the Earth as a whole is completely neutral, even though a lot of charge separation is taking place on a localized scale.

Last edited:
On a slightly unrelated note, I was just thinking could a net charge on the sun be the explanation for the unexpected heating of the corona? Currently there is no reason why the corona and chromosphere should be millions of degrees K hotter than the surface of the sun. But if there is an electric field just outside the sun, generated by the net charge of the sun, that would explain why the particles are getting accelerated and gain so much heat. ions would have their maximum potential energy when they are in this photospheric plasma; however their mechanical energy would be relatively low.

At a certain point when a +ve ion randomly moves out of the photosphere and into the electric field (voltage gradient) it will result in it being accelerated outwards. The particles are basically transferring the high electrical potential energy they had in the sun into kinetic energy by gaining an extremely high outwards radial velocity, and would explain why particles in the corona are so energetic. This way the inverse square law for radiant energy is not being broken as the current model does.

That is the only explanation I can see to explain the coronal heating problem, unless there are others I am not aware of.

Last edited:

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to the sun?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to hold an electrical charge. In the case of the sun, it refers to the amount of electric charge it can hold within its layers of ionized gases and plasma. This charge is essential for the sun's magnetic field and the production of solar wind.

2. Can the capacitance of the sun be measured?

Yes, the capacitance of the sun can be estimated using mathematical models and measurements of the sun's size, temperature, and composition. However, the exact value of the sun's capacitance is still not fully understood and is subject to ongoing research and debate among scientists.

3. How does the capacitance of the sun compare to other objects in the universe?

The capacitance of the sun is significantly higher than most objects in the universe due to its large size and high temperature. However, it is still relatively low compared to other stars and celestial bodies, such as neutron stars and black holes.

4. Does the capacitance of the sun change over time?

Yes, the capacitance of the sun can vary over time as its internal processes and magnetic field fluctuate. Solar activity, such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections, can also affect the sun's capacitance by releasing large amounts of electrical energy into space.

5. What is the practical significance of knowing the capacitance of the sun?

Understanding the capacitance of the sun is crucial for studying and predicting solar activity and its potential impacts on Earth. It also plays a role in the development of technologies that utilize solar energy, such as solar panels and solar-powered spacecraft.