Derivative of the Volume of a Cone

In summary, you are trying to find the derivative of the volume of a cone, and you are unsure how to do it. You will need to use the chain rule for functions of two variables.
chompysj
Hi, I'm working on a related rates problem, and I need to find the derivative of the volume of a cone.

So the equation is:

V = (1/3) (pi) (r^2) (h)

I'm not sure how to find the derivative. Would the whole thing turn out to be 0? Or do I need to use the product rule?

Please help!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is incomplete. You have 3 variables - V, r, and h. Which is the dependent variable and which is independent variable and which if any is constant? If none are constant you may need a second equation, depending on the problem statement.

I'm supposed to find the rate at which the volume of a cone is changing, when r and h are a certain amount (the r and h are both changing at a constant rate).
So except for pi there are no constants.

You have a relationship for r in terms of h or vice versa, so make it a function of one variable and take the derivative with respect to that

chompysj said:
I'm supposed to find the rate at which the volume of a cone is changing, when r and h are a certain amount (the r and h are both changing at a constant rate).
So except for pi there are no constants.
Then you need to use the chain rule for functions of 2 variables:
If f(x,y) and x and y are functions of t, then
[tex]\frac{df}{dt}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Here, V= [itex](1/3)\pi r^2 h[/itex] so
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \frac{1}{3}\pi\left( 2rh\frac{dr}{dt}+ r^2\frac{dh}{dt}\right)[/tex]

Thanks for all your help!

Hey, chompysj, I think what HallsofIvy said may be right, but I'm not sure...He said chain rule, but showed the product rule. I think it is correct to use the product rule, differentiating it implicitly, as you do in related rates. A rate is what taking the derivative of the cone's volume formula would give you.

When:
attachment.php?attachmentid=21311&stc=1&d=1256346070.png

The derivative (with respect to time, t), I THINK would be:
attachment.php?attachmentid=21313&stc=1&d=1256347257.png

Then simplified to:
attachment.php?attachmentid=21314&stc=1&d=1256347564.png

You will have, now, a related rate for the volume of a cone. This is correct to the best of my knowledge, and I note the fact that I took the derivative of the radius, r, because it, too, is not constant (as you can obviously imagine, as it changes depending on how high or low you go in the cone). Had this been a cylinder, you would not treat r as a variable, but rather as a constant, like (π/3) or 2 per se, because the radius does not change in a cylinder.

I hope this helps, and correct me if I'm wrong!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 32,569
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 33,655
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 35,413
No, that is NOT the product rule, it is the "chain rule for functions of two variables" as I said.

Oh ok, I'm sorry. You have to understand that I'm only a high schooler in AP Calculus, so my knowledge of Calculus is limited anyway. But I am sure that what I have learned tells me to call that the product rule. What I was taught the product rule was, I used to solve that. So I really think this is a matter of semantics here...

Product rule (that I learned):

f(x)g(x) = f(x)g'(x) + g(x)f'(x)

Yes, that is the product rule. But if you look closely, you will see that that is NOT what I wrote.

To find the derivative of the volume of a cone with respect to a particular variable (usually either the radius or the height of the cone), you can use calculus.

Yes, I see, but we came up with the same answers, did we not? Haha! Perhaps I am just misnaming it, or just did it a different way. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the formula for the derivative of the volume of a cone?

The formula for the derivative of the volume of a cone is dV/dh = (πr^2)/3, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

How do you find the derivative of the volume of a cone?

To find the derivative of the volume of a cone, you can use the formula dV/dh = (πr^2)/3 and substitute in the values for r and h. Then, you can simplify the equation to find the derivative.

Why is the derivative of the volume of a cone important?

The derivative of the volume of a cone is important because it tells us the rate of change of the volume with respect to the height. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the maximum volume of a cone or finding the optimal height for a given volume.

What is the relationship between the derivative of the volume of a cone and the derivative of its base area?

The derivative of the volume of a cone is related to the derivative of its base area because the base area is a factor in the formula for the volume of a cone. Therefore, the derivative of the volume of a cone will also be affected by changes in the base area.

Can the derivative of the volume of a cone be negative?

Yes, the derivative of the volume of a cone can be negative. This would mean that as the height of the cone increases, the volume is decreasing. This could happen if the base radius is also decreasing at the same time, causing the cone to become more narrow.