Casey's thread of annoying Linear Algebra questions

In summary, this person is trying to learn linear algebra on their own and is using a book by Sergei Treil. They have a question about what they need to know in order to start and people have given them helpful advice.
Saladsamurai
So, I am attempting to learn linear algebra on my own and I am using Sharipov's "Linear Algebra and Multidimensional Geometry" since mathwonk is always ranting and ravong about it.

So far, I hate it. Clearly I am not a mathematician at heart.

I thought I could periodically post questions in this thread (instead of starting a new one every time). My questions might seem dumb to some of you, but take it easy on me:shy:.

So since the edit button only works for 30 minutes now (lame), when I ask a new question, I will head it like this: NEW QUESTION: that way it will be easy to spot my latest entry.

Hopefully this works out, but more like is that people will just get annoyed with me. So here we go:smile:NEW QUESTION What is this all about?
Picture1-13.png

I mean if the set [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is just X, why do we need a name for this? Can someone tell me what the total preimage is in laymen's terms?

Thanks!:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2554/preimagery4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
learning math is not meant to be suffering. use whatever book you enjoy. try the book by sergei treil on his webpage at the brown math dept, if sharipov is too dry for you.

enjoy!and the total preimage (under f) of a point y is the set of all solutions x of y = f(x).

so finding a total preimage is finding all solutions of a problem.

One place where the idea of a preimage is useful is in the definition of a continuous function: A function [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is said to be continuous if [itex]f^{-1}(U)[/itex] is an open set for every open [itex]U\subset Y[/itex].

If [itex]X=Y=\mathbb R[/itex] (or more generally, when X and Y are metric spaces), then the definition above is equivalent to the one you're familiar with.

Also, the preimage of y is not X. For example, if [itex]f:\mathbb R\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex] is defined by [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex], then [itex]f^{-1}(1)=\{-1,1\}[/itex].

mathwonk said:
learning math is not meant to be suffering. use whatever book you enjoy. try the book by sergei treil on his webpage at the brown math dept, if sharipov is too dry for you.

enjoy!

and the total preimage (under f) of a point y is the set of all solutions x of y = f(x).

so finding a total preimage is finding all solutions of a problem.

Thanks! I'll check that one out and see how it is.
:smile:

hello all I also have an annoying question, I also d like to attempt to learn some linear algebra on my own, I was wondering what do I need to previously know in order to start learning it? Do I need any calculus or it would be ok with just to know high school algebra?

You don't need calculus. You need to understand what functions are and have some idea what sets are to understand the definition of a vector space, and you need know how to add and multiply real numbers (e.g. rules like (a+b)(c+d)=ac+ad+bc+bd). But that's it.

Fredrik said:
You don't need calculus. You need to understand what functions are and have some idea what sets are to understand the definition of a vector space, and you need know how to add and multiply real numbers (e.g. rules like (a+b)(c+d)=ac+ad+bc+bd). But that's it.

thanks a lot :wink:

1. What is "Casey's thread of annoying Linear Algebra questions"?

"Casey's thread of annoying Linear Algebra questions" is a series of questions about the mathematical concept of Linear Algebra, created and posed by someone named Casey.

2. Why is it called "annoying"?

The thread is called "annoying" because it may contain difficult or challenging questions that may require some time and effort to solve, and thus may be frustrating for some people.

3. Who is Casey and why did they create this thread?

Casey is the name of the person who created this thread. They may have created it for educational purposes, to challenge themselves and others, or simply for fun.

4. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces and matrices. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to study properties of linear transformations.

5. Is this thread suitable for beginners in Linear Algebra?

It depends on the level of difficulty of the questions in the thread. Some questions may be suitable for beginners, while others may require a deeper understanding of the subject. It is always recommended to start with simpler problems and work your way up to more challenging ones.