316L SS suitable for chlorinated water?

• Thread starter famine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of material for a tank containing chlorinated water at 5ppm concentration. The question is whether 304SS or 316L SS would be suitable, and the general consensus is that 316 is more corrosion resistant. Some suggest using bronze impellers and bushings for water service pumps, but 316 is also commonly used for offshore (seawater) applications. It is noted that 5ppm is the maximum concentration that 316L can withstand constant exposure to.
famine
Hey all, I'm looking to find information on material to use for a tank containing chlorinated water at 5ppm concentration. I was wondering if 304SS or 316L SS would be suitable or if we would have to use some other form of Stainless Steel. All that I have read shows 316 as being more corrosion resistance but does not give any specific measurements.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that on a lot of the water service pumps we see at my job, we usually use bronze impellers, bushings, etc., so that is one consideration. But as far as I can tell, yes, 316 should be fine.

We use 316 for offshore (seawater) stuff, it's about the most resistant regular stainless steel.
If this isn't good enough you have to get pretty exotic

Thanks for all of the replies, after looking on the internet a bit more it looks like 5ppm is the max that 316L is withstand constant exposure to.

Thanks Again

1. What is 316L SS?

316L SS, or 316L stainless steel, is a type of stainless steel that contains low carbon and higher chromium and nickel content compared to other stainless steels. This makes it more resistant to corrosion and suitable for use in various environments, including chlorinated water.

2. Is 316L SS suitable for use in chlorinated water?

Yes, 316L SS is suitable for use in chlorinated water. Its high corrosion resistance makes it a popular choice for applications involving exposure to chlorine, such as swimming pools, hot tubs, and water treatment systems.

3. What makes 316L SS resistant to corrosion in chlorinated water?

316L SS contains a higher amount of chromium and nickel, which form a protective layer on the surface of the steel when exposed to oxygen. This layer, known as a passive film, helps to prevent corrosion and damage from chlorine and other chemicals found in chlorinated water.

4. Are there any limitations to using 316L SS in chlorinated water?

While 316L SS is highly resistant to corrosion in chlorinated water, it may still experience some pitting or crevice corrosion in certain conditions. This can occur if the water has a high concentration of salt or if there are other corrosive substances present. Regular maintenance and proper water treatment can help prevent these issues.

5. Are there any alternative materials for use in chlorinated water?

There are other types of stainless steel and non-metal materials that may also be suitable for use in chlorinated water. Some common alternatives include 304 stainless steel, titanium, and PVC. However, the specific application and environment should be considered when choosing the best material for the job.