Induction / divisibility problem

In summary, Dick showed that if no number in [1,2n] divides 2*(n+1), then one number divides another. He proved this by contradiction and provided a proof that if n+1 cannot be involved, it means this happened before the insertion of n+1.
scumtk

Homework Statement

Prove by induction that no matter how one chooses a set of n+1 positive integers from the first 2n positive integers, one integer in the set divides another integer in the set.

2. The attempt at a solution

Tried direct induction. Base case easy to prove. P(n+1) is with n+2 integers from the first 2n+2. Suppose that at most one is 2n+1 or 2n+2 => there are at least n+1 to be chosen from the first 2n integers (which P(n) guarantees will contain two that divide each other). Therefore, I reduced the problem to "n integers from the first 2n, plus 2n+1 and 2n+2".

So now I have to prove that: given any set of n integers from 1 to 2n (EDIT: such that none divides another in the set), one of them divides 2n+1 OR 2n+2. I am clueless from here on. Maybe my whole approach is misguided? I have to emphasize that using induction is a necessity.

Thank you in advance for your help!

EDIT 2: I know the solution that does not require induction, with the bins based on 2^k * (2i+1) factorization of all the numbers there, and I can use that in the place where I am stuck, but that is extremely artificial because the same argument that I would use in the inductive step could be used completely not modified in the initial problem, so the induction would be superfluous. I am looking for a "real" inductive solution. Here's a link to non-inductive solution: http://www.mathnerds.com/best/NonDividingSets/index.aspx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is pretty clear on this. Ok, so you've got n elements of [1,2n] that don't divide each other. Assume the opposite. That they don't divide 2n+2=2*(n+1). That means they don't divide (n+1). Does (n+1) divide anything in [1,2n]? What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't see how that helps.

P: given any set of n integers from 1 to 2n such that none divides another in the set
Q: one of them divides 2n+1 OR 2n+2

You suggested a proof by contradiction, Q' => P'.

Q': given any set of n integers from 1 to 2n such that none divides 2n+1 nor 2n+2
P': one of them divides another in the set

I don't understand your argument because it seems to me that you suggest that 2 and n+1 cannot be in the set. That doesn't tell me that given any set with that property Q' (i.e. any set without 2 and n+1 necessarily but not sufficiently), there will be one integer that divides another number in the set.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit? Thanks for the fast reply.

Dick has answered your question.

If you assume that for some 2n, no n+1 positive integers below it are linearly independent, then that can never happen. So that is the contradiction you want to show. Try to deduce that there are n+1 linearly independent numbers below 2n.

scumtk said:
I'm sorry, I don't see how that helps.

P: given any set of n integers from 1 to 2n such that none divides another in the set
Q: one of them divides 2n+1 OR 2n+2

You suggested a proof by contradiction, Q' => P'.

Q': given any set of n integers from 1 to 2n such that none divides 2n+1 nor 2n+2
P': one of them divides another in the set

I don't understand your argument because it seems to me that you suggest that 2 and n+1 cannot be in the set. That doesn't tell me that given any set with that property Q' (i.e. any set without 2 and n+1 necessarily but not sufficiently), there will be one integer that divides another number in the set.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit? Thanks for the fast reply.

Maybe I didn't say it well. If none of the n numbers in [1,2n] divides 2*(n+1), then none of those numbers divides (n+1). Now you can add (n+1) to the list of n numbers. Then use the induction hypothesis. Don't you get a contradiction with "none of those numbers divides (n+1)"?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Maybe I didn't say it well. If none of the n numbers in [1,2n] divides 2*(n+1), then none of those numbers divides (n+1). Now you can add (n+1) to the list of n numbers. Then use the induction hypothesis. Don't you get a contradiction with "none of those numbers divides (n+1)"?

Let me see if I got this. I would basically be proving that none of the n numbers divides n+1, n+1 divides neither of the numbers, but when taken together with them the IH shows that one number divides another. Since n+1 cannot be involved, it means this happened before the insertion of n+1. Q' => P' proven.

Wrote the whole proof on paper and it makes sense now. Thank you for your help!

What is the induction/divisibility problem?

The induction/divisibility problem is a mathematical concept in which we are trying to prove a statement or property for all natural numbers (or a subset of natural numbers) using induction or divisibility. It is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a statement is true for all cases.

What is induction in the context of the induction/divisibility problem?

In the context of the induction/divisibility problem, induction is a mathematical proof technique that involves proving a statement or property for a base case (usually n=1) and then showing that if the statement holds for a specific case, it must also hold for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all cases.

What is divisibility in the context of the induction/divisibility problem?

Divisibility is the property of one number being able to be divided evenly by another number without leaving a remainder. In the context of the induction/divisibility problem, divisibility is often used to prove a statement or property for all natural numbers by showing that if a statement holds for a specific number, it must also hold for all numbers that are divisible by that number.

What are some examples of statements that can be proven using the induction/divisibility problem?

Some examples of statements that can be proven using the induction/divisibility problem include:

• The sum of the first n natural numbers is n(n+1)/2.
  • Every natural number can be written as the sum of distinct powers of 2.
  • There are infinitely many prime numbers.

What are some strategies for solving the induction/divisibility problem?

Some strategies for solving the induction/divisibility problem include:

• Choosing a strong base case to start the proof from.
  • Writing out the steps of the proof explicitly and clearly.
  • Using mathematical notation and symbols effectively.
  • Considering different approaches and angles to attack the problem.
  • Looking for patterns and connections between different cases.