What is Euler's identity really saying?

• Thread starter MadViolinist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta\,\,,\,\,\theta\in\mathbb{R}\,\, and its relationship to complex exponential functions and MacLaurin series. This equation highlights the interconnectedness of numbers and can be derived using simple algebraic manipulations.
MadViolinist
So it is true that ei∏+1=0. But what does this mean? Why are all these numbers linked?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MadViolinist said:
So it is true that ei∏+1=0. But what does this mean? Why are all these numbers linked?

They are linked precisely by that equation, and since the equality [itex]e^{i\theta}:=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta\,\,,\,\,\theta\in\mathbb{R}\,\,[/itex] follows at once say from the definition

of the complex exponential function as power series (or as limit of a sequence), the above identity is really trivial.

DonAntonio

Look at the MacLaurin series for those functions:
[tex]e^x= 1+ x+ x^2/2!+ x^3/3!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^n/n![/tex]
[tex]cos(x)= 1- x^2/2!+ x^4/4!- x^6/6!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^nx^{2n}/(2n)![/tex]
[tex]sin(x)= x- x^3/3!+ x^5/5!- x^7/7!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^nx^{2n+1}/(2n)![/tex]

If you replace x with the imaginary number ix (x is still real) that becomes
[tex]e^{ix}= 1+ ix+ (ix)^2/2!+ (ix)^3/3!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (ix)^n/n![/tex]
[tex]e^{ix}= 1+ ix+ i^2x^2/2!+ i^3x^3/3!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ i^nx^n/n![/tex]

But it is easy to see that, since [itex]i^2= -1[/itex], [itex](i)^3= (i)^2(i)= -i[/itex], [itex](i)^4= (i^3)(i)= -i(i)= -(-1)= 1[/itex] so then it starts all over: [itex]i^5= (i^5)i= i[/itex], etc. That is, all even powers of i are 1 if the power is 0 mod 4 and -1 if it is 2 mod 4. All odd powers are i if the power is 1 mod 4 and -i if it is 3 mod 4.

[tex]e^{ix}= 1+ ix- x^2/2!- ix^3/3!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

Separating into real and imaginary parts,
[tex]e^{ix}= (1- x^2/2!+ x^4/4!- x^6/6!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)+ i(x- x^3/3!+ x^5/5!+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)[/tex]
[tex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/tex]

Now, take [itex]= \pi[/itex] so that [itex]cos(x)= cos(\pi)= -1[/itex] and [itex]sin(x)= sin(\pi)= 0[/itex] and that becomes
[tex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/tex]
or
[tex]e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0[/tex]

I hope that is what you are looking for. Otherwise, what you are asking is uncomfortably close to "number mysticism".

Last edited by a moderator:

Euler's identity is a fundamental equation that links together five important mathematical constants: e (the base of natural logarithms), i (the imaginary unit), π (pi), 1 (the multiplicative identity), and 0 (the additive identity). It states that when the imaginary unit is raised to the power of pi and added to 1, the result is 0. This may seem counterintuitive and complex, but it has significant implications in mathematics and physics.

Essentially, Euler's identity is saying that there is a deep connection between exponential functions (e), trigonometric functions (π), and complex numbers (i). It demonstrates how these seemingly unrelated concepts are intricately connected and can be used to solve various problems in mathematics and science.

One interpretation of Euler's identity is that it shows the relationship between rotation and growth. The imaginary unit, i, represents a quarter turn in the complex plane, while the exponential function, e, represents exponential growth. The constant π, which relates to circles and periodic functions, brings these two concepts together in a single equation.

Another interpretation is that Euler's identity is a special case of the more general Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x). This formula is used extensively in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering.

In summary, Euler's identity is a powerful mathematical equation that links together five important constants and demonstrates the deep connections between seemingly different mathematical concepts. Its significance extends beyond pure mathematics and has important applications in various fields of science.

1. What is Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is a mathematical equation that relates the five fundamental numbers in mathematics: 0, 1, π (pi), e (Euler's number), and i (the imaginary unit). It is written as e^iπ + 1 = 0 and is considered one of the most beautiful and profound equations in mathematics.

2. What does Euler's identity mean?

Euler's identity means that there is a deep connection between exponential functions (e^x), trigonometric functions (sinx and cosx), and complex numbers (a number that involves both a real and imaginary part). It shows that these seemingly unrelated concepts are actually closely related and can be expressed in terms of each other.

3. How did Euler come up with this identity?

Euler's identity was discovered by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He was exploring the properties of complex numbers and found that when π (pi) was multiplied by the imaginary unit i and then raised to the power of e, it resulted in -1. This was a groundbreaking discovery in mathematics and has been studied and admired ever since.

4. What is the significance of Euler's identity?

Euler's identity is significant because it shows the unity and interconnectedness of different areas of mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, where complex numbers are used to model real-world phenomena. Additionally, it has aesthetic value and is often considered a symbol of the elegance and beauty of mathematics.

5. Can Euler's identity be proven?

No, Euler's identity cannot be proven in the traditional sense as it is an equation and not a theorem. However, it can be derived and shown to be true using mathematical principles and operations. Many mathematicians and scientists have attempted to explain the significance of Euler's identity, but it ultimately remains a profound and mysterious concept.