Normal and centrifugal force for arbitrary curves

In summary, the person is looking for an equation to calculate the normal force and centripetal force at each point of a curve in a gravitational field. They mention wanting to derive equations and are specifically looking for an equation that uses the parametrization of the curve. The suggested solution is to use the radius of curvature for a parametric curve.
Gavroy
Hi, i have a curve g:[0,t]->IR² with g(t)=(x(t),y(t)) in a homogenous gravitational field and i want to look at a ball rolling down this curve. therefore i want to derive some equations in order to calculate the normal force and the centripetal force at each point of this curve in order to see where the ball "leaves" the curve. therefore i am looking for an equation that gives me both forces just by using the parametrization of my curve. is there an equation for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This might help, the radius of curvature for a parametric curve is:

radius(t) = ( (x'(t))2 + (y'(t))2 )3/2 / | (x'(t) y''(t)) - (y'(t) x''(t)) |

1. What is the difference between normal force and centrifugal force?

The normal force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object, preventing it from sinking into the surface. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is the apparent outward force that acts on an object moving in a circular path.

2. How do you calculate normal force for an arbitrary curve?

The normal force for an arbitrary curve can be calculated using the formula FN = m(v2/r), where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the curve at that point.

3. How is centrifugal force affected by the shape of the curve?

The magnitude of centrifugal force is directly proportional to the curvature of the curve. This means that a sharper curve will result in a higher centrifugal force.

4. Can normal and centrifugal forces cancel each other out?

No, normal and centrifugal forces are two independent forces that act in different directions. They cannot cancel each other out.

5. How do normal and centrifugal forces affect an object's motion on a curve?

The normal force keeps the object from leaving the surface, while the centrifugal force acts as a counterbalancing force, pulling the object away from the center of the curve. Together, these forces help maintain the object's motion on the curve.