New method of cutting grass? -looking to nature for answer

In summary: I don't think a "thin hot wire" would be very effective - it would likely just burn the grass. I'm looking for something that will closely replicate the action of a ruminant - like a goat or sheep.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hey PF,
I'm looking for a new way to cut the grass on my lawn and I'm looking to nature for inspiration. I'm an engineer, not a biologist and I could use your help with naming creatures or mechanisms that are used to cut grass, flesh, bark, etc...

I've come up with the following good suggestions:
  1. Leaf-cutting ants*
  2. Crab claws
  3. Deer & goat teeth
  4. beaver teeth

Can anybody think of microscopic organisms that cut things?

Thanks in advance

Biology news on Phys.org
The parks around here use sheep...

Depending on rules in your neighborhood, ground covers such as ivy and moss are a solution.

I've also heard of people planting endangered prairie grass and putting up a sign that their lawn is a protected site. I see it planted in a lot of places around here, ugly as heck, but it's not actually protected in your yard AFAIK.

Put down a cement slab, paint it green.

Thank you for your suggestions, but I don't want to replace my lawn. I'm looking for creatures or organisms that have evolved to cut objects in an efficient manner. I want to build a robotic lawnmower that emulates the technology in its cutting mechanism.

Thanks.

I don't think there is anything evolved to just cut the grass ... the idea is to eat the grass without becoming food oneself: which is a different problem - hence the teeth based grab-pull-n-swallow approach. I don't think you'll find an efficient mechanism in nature for your purpose.

The closest would be things like leaf-cutter ants - they basically nibble a path through leaves.
The large-scale equivalent would be scissors or shears - you'd use counter-rotating blades perhaps or something that looks like a hedge-trimmer.

Simon Bridge said:
... The closest would be things like leaf-cutter ants - they basically nibble a path through leaves.
The large-scale equivalent would be scissors or shears - you'd use counter-rotating blades perhaps or something that looks like a hedge-trimmer.

Leaf-cutter ants are exactly the kind of suggestion I'm looking for. However, I'm confident there are more creatures that could also provide inspiration; which is why I came here.

Here's the mechanism that comes to mind when thinking of how herd animals eat grass, and applying that action to some sort of grass mowing machine.

Start with a square wire/bar.
Coil into tightly wound closed coil spring.
Bend into arc, or more interesting shape.
Rotate spring about long axis.

The pinching/pulling action will closely replicate the way ruminants eat.

My2

Interesting Idea Illbilly. So there is a round coil of tightly wound square wire which is repeatedly wound/ unwound so the gap inbetween the winds opens/ closes, pinching the grass. The whole assembly is rotated about the coil's axis, so the grass is then grabbed, pulled, then released. Right?

That's the Idea. Kind of like those torture devices for the ladies to remove hair. I'd imagine you'd have problems with the coil getting clogged with long, stringy pieces, but I think secondary blades, perpendicular to the coil might work for that.

Or maybe star shaped wire... or some "beaver teeth" machined into the wire. That would have a better cutting action and help pull in material

Last edited:
Good question. BUy yourself a cow. it keeps grass low. DO you need your grass more cut? buy more cows. Are they cutting the grass to well? turn a cow into beef. Eventually after experiment you shall reach homeostasis; your lawn wil be the height you like it and you get some cows for milk and beef. Problem solved the natural way.
Great query btw OP +rep

All the comments about cows and goats are quite amusing... But no, I'm not getting a cow. I want to build a robot!

taylaron said:
Interesting Idea Illbilly. So there is a round coil of tightly wound square wire which is repeatedly wound/ unwound so the gap inbetween the winds opens/ closes, pinching the grass. The whole assembly is rotated about the coil's axis, so the grass is then grabbed, pulled, then released. Right?
You mean like the coil-blade lawn mowers?

Simon Bridge said:
You mean like the coil-blade lawn mowers?

Do you mean a reel* mower? Because those are totally different

Totally different from a round coil of square wire - suppose it would not be thought of as "tightly" wound.
Perhaps I should have ask - "how does this idea differ from..."? i.e. description could be confused for an existing design.

Lets see - reel mower:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_mower
... hmmm... though the ones I have used have a cylindrical (loose) coil of cutting blades.
The action is not unlike a rapid version of chomping at the grass.

You don't need to cut grass to trim it! For instance, a "thin hot wire" fixed across the width of the machine might trim grass. It might also burn the grass which might not be so good for it but in my experience a lawnmower doesn't produce a clean cut anyway and the ends of the grass leaf still go brown. It would also mean a non mechanical trimming mechanism which could be safer, uses a battery so no power cables to burn through and no refuelling, lighter so easier to use. The wire might break easily though so maybe you can have a mechanism like a strimmer, when the wire breaks just feed out some more and re-attach it.

It would also mean a non mechanical trimming mechanism which could be safer, uses a battery so no power cables to burn through and no refuelling, lighter so easier to use.
... interesting... so
- batteries don't need "refueling" (recharging is just not the same right?)
- batteries are lighter than petrol (doesn't that depend on the energy stored?)
- a hot wire could be safer I suppose - or it could be more dangerous - or make no difference?

You may be interested in:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4952222.html
A grass cutting device that establishes an electrically activated energy path at a location proximate to the ground. Alternate energy paths are a hot wire, a discharge path between closely spaced electrodes, and a laser. The grass is cut as the device is moved across the lawn causing the electrically activated energy path to intersect the blades of grass searing off the tips of the grass blades where it touches them.

I suspect the wire would have to be extremely hot to cut grass at the (slow) walking pace lawn-mowing usually takes place at ... and you'd have to worry about setting fire to dry leaves and twigs as you go. Still - that would make the chore more exciting!

It's sort of tangent though isn't it - the topic specifically specifies "used in nature" and I think even the most die-hard OOPA enthusiast would be challenged to come up with some creature using red-hot wires to trim grass.

But I don't want you to mistake this reply for scorn - you are right, you don't have to cut the grass and we were remiss not to consider this - nature has other solutions...

...like poison.

That sounds like overkill - or just "kill" - but there is probably an enzyme or something that stunts the growth.
Ahah! "Allelochemicals" pops up right away.

Last edited:
yeah I was just trying to demonstrate "out of the box thinking" if you define cutting as restraining you to a box then trimming frees you to be more creative. In the same way can think about attacking roots and not just the blades, assuming there is a correlation between root depth and blade length? I am sure there is some micro-organism that eats roots :)

Last edited:
If you find something taylaron try to make it patentable. And prepare for wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Humor aside, there are "ground covers" that, as sWozzAres mentions, has limited growth height. Clover is popular for "low maintenance"

Sorry for the late reply, PF decided not to notify me of posts for some reason...

Thank you everyone for your helpful input. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

-Taylaron

1. How does the new method of cutting grass look to nature for an answer?

The new method of cutting grass involves studying and imitating natural processes in order to develop a more efficient and sustainable way of mowing lawns. This could include observing how certain grasses naturally grow and adapt to different environments, or how animals graze on grass in a way that promotes healthy growth.

2. What are the benefits of using a nature-inspired approach to cutting grass?

By looking to nature for an answer, we can develop methods that are more in line with natural processes and therefore have less negative impact on the environment. This can result in reduced use of harmful chemicals and less disruption to ecosystems. Additionally, a nature-inspired approach may also lead to more efficient and effective methods of cutting grass.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using a nature-inspired method of cutting grass?

One potential drawback is that it may take more time and resources to develop and implement a new method based on natural processes. This could be due to the need for extensive research and experimentation, as well as potential challenges in adapting these methods to larger scale lawn maintenance. Additionally, there may be some initial resistance or skepticism from those accustomed to traditional methods of cutting grass.

4. How can a nature-inspired approach potentially improve the health of lawns?

By mimicking natural processes, a new method of cutting grass could promote healthier and more resilient lawns. For example, by observing how certain grasses naturally grow and thrive in specific environments, we can develop methods that promote similar growth patterns and overall health. This can result in lawns that are better able to withstand environmental stressors and require less maintenance over time.

5. What other areas of lawn maintenance could benefit from a nature-inspired approach?

In addition to cutting grass, a nature-inspired approach could also be applied to other aspects of lawn maintenance such as fertilization, pest control, and irrigation. By studying natural systems and processes, we can develop methods that are more sustainable, efficient, and environmentally friendly in these areas as well.