Do Leptons and Quarks Interact Electromagnetically?

In summary: So, according to the strong interaction, we can never see free quark, so how can the electron interact with up-quark or down quark? thank you for the response!If we can't see free quarks, then we can't see the electron interacting with up-quark or down-quark.
Hluf
Hi people,
I have one question, leptons and quarks are electromagnetically charged particles. Is there an electromagnetic interaction between them?
Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course. That's how electrons and protons stay bound to each other in atoms.

Thank you, electrons and protons stay bound to each other in atoms because they have an integer charge but quarks have a fractional charge how they interact with leptons?

Charges with opposite sign attract, and charges with the same sign repel. It has nothing to do with whether they are integer charges or not.

According to the strong interaction, we can never see free quark, so how can the electron interact with up-quark or down quark? thank you for the response!

Hluf said:
According to the strong interaction, we can never see free quark, so how can the electron interact with up-quark or down quark? thank you for the response!

Why wouldn't it be able to? A free quark just means a quark that isn't bound together with another quark. There's still three quarks making up each proton.

Hluf said:
Hi people,
I have one question, leptons and quarks are electromagnetically charged particles. Is there an electromagnetic interaction between them?
Thank you for the help!

Hluf said:

Your series of question here raised a question with me regarding your thought process, that I just had to ask.

First, you asked if there's any electromagnetic interaction between quarks and leptons. Presumably, you have no problem with knowing that there is an electromagnetic interaction between protons and electrons, ya?

So, naturally, I puzzle over why there is a problem with accepting that there is an electromagnetic interaction between quarks and leptons. After all, a proton is made up of 3 quarks. So if proton-electron has EM interaction, why do you have a problem with quark-lepton? having EM interaction?

Secondly, why would "strong interaction" matter on whether there is EM interaction between quark-lepton, which was your original question? It is not an either-or situation. The strong interaction only matters between quark-quark (or any hadrons). It doesn't significantly affect the EM interaction between quark-lepton. So I am puzzled why this matters. Does the fact that my charged Van de Graaf generator is on the earth, in the gravitational field, significantly affects its EM field when compared to having it float in space when there's less gravitational field?

Zz.

Hluf said:
The EM interaction is long range, so it doesn't matter where the quark is.

Thank you.

What is the definition of "Interaction of particles"?

The interaction of particles refers to the way in which particles, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles, interact with each other through various forces and energies.

What are the different types of interactions between particles?

The four main types of interactions between particles are gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These interactions are responsible for holding matter together and determining the behavior of particles.

How do particles interact with each other?

Particles interact with each other through the exchange of energy and forces. This can happen through direct contact between particles, or through the exchange of particles, such as photons or gluons, between particles.

What is the role of the interaction of particles in chemistry?

The interaction of particles plays a crucial role in chemistry, as it determines the bonding and reactions between atoms and molecules. The type and strength of interactions between particles can greatly affect the properties and behavior of chemical substances.

How does the interaction of particles impact our daily lives?

The interaction of particles is responsible for the physical properties and behavior of matter, which in turn affects many aspects of our daily lives. For example, it determines the strength of materials, the behavior of electronics, and the functioning of our bodies.