How do i disable the auto-subscription on threads?

• Thread starter Pyrrhus
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to stop getting notifications for threads you are subscribed to, you can go to the "Messaging & Notification" section in the middle of the page, second box down and un-subscribe from every thread.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
How do i disable the auto-subscription on threads??

Physics news on Phys.org
Its in your options in hte control panel. They were fixing the forum a while back and some peoples subscriptions got switched to automatically subscribing to everything.

Go to User cp,

edit options (on left) go to the "Messaging & Notification" section in the middle of the page, second box down - “default thread subscription mode” click “do not subscribe” in the drop down box

Then you will need to also manually "unsubscribe" to every thread you have been subscribed to up to when you make the change.

Ack, I just checked my e-mail account, and I had 575 subscription messages! Ack! I had never turned the option on myself, but it got turned on for me. :cry:

Yep, it got turned on for everyone in one of the updates.

I wonder how many new members have gotten upset thinking they're being spammed and quit the forum?

Evo said:
I wonder how many new members have gotten upset thinking they're being spammed and quit the forum?
I worry about that too. It would put me off from a forum to sign up and immediately start getting emails before I even knew where anything was to turn it off quickly. Heaven forbid someone makes their first post in something like the Thread Killer Thread...they'll be getting emails for life! :eek:

Moonbear said:
I worry about that too. It would put me off from a forum to sign up and immediately start getting emails before I even knew where anything was to turn it off quickly. Heaven forbid someone makes their first post in something like the Thread Killer Thread...they'll be getting emails for life! :eek:

Yeah, I suddenly was getting a good 50 emails a day from PF. That's something that should really be default off I think.

1. How do I disable the auto-subscription on threads?

To disable the auto-subscription on threads, you will need to go to your account settings and look for the notification or subscription section. From there, you should be able to find an option to turn off auto-subscriptions for threads.

2. Can I choose which threads I want to disable auto-subscription for?

Yes, you can choose which threads you want to disable auto-subscription for. Some forums or platforms may have a feature where you can manually select which threads you want to subscribe to, while others may allow you to disable auto-subscriptions for all threads.

3. Will I still receive notifications for threads I have disabled auto-subscription for?

If you have disabled auto-subscription for a thread, you should not receive any notifications for that thread. However, if you have manually subscribed to the thread, you may still receive notifications.

4. How do I know if I have successfully disabled auto-subscription for a thread?

You can check your account settings to see if the auto-subscription for the thread has been turned off. You may also try unsubscribing from the thread to confirm that auto-subscription has been disabled.

5. Can I re-enable auto-subscription for a thread after disabling it?

Yes, you can re-enable auto-subscription for a thread at any time by going to your account settings and turning on the auto-subscription option for that specific thread. Keep in mind that this may result in you receiving notifications for that thread again.