Magnifying Power: Does the Tree Look 10x Nearer?

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
The tree appears 10 times closer to the man. However, the telescope produces an image that is larger than the object, so the man thought that the tree would appear 10 times taller. The question interprets the situation differently, stating that the tree appears 10 times nearer due to the increased image size through the telescope. In summary, the man sees the tree as 10 times closer due to the magnifying power of the telescope.
Amith2006
An observer looks at a tree of height of 15 meters with a telescope of magnifying power 10. It is said that to the man the tree appears to be 10 times nearer. Is it true? I thought that a telescope produces an image larger than the object. So I felt the answer was that the man the tree appears to be 10 times taller. But in this question it is interpretted differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
An observer looks at a tree of height of 15 meters with a telescope of magnifying power 10. It is said that to the man the tree appears to be 10 times nearer. Is it true? I thought that a telescope produces an image larger than the object. So I felt the answer was that the man the tree appears to be 10 times taller. But in this question it is interpretted differently.
The image in the eye is 10 times taller through the telescope than through the naked eye. That makes it seem 10 times closer.

AM

I would like to clarify that the magnifying power of a telescope refers to the ability to make an object appear larger or closer than it actually is. In this case, the use of a telescope with a magnifying power of 10 would make the tree appear 10 times closer, not taller. This is due to the fact that the magnifying power of a telescope is calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece. This means that the telescope is able to gather more light and create a larger image of the object, making it appear closer to the observer.

So, in this scenario, it is true that the tree would appear 10 times nearer to the observer when viewed through the telescope. This is a common misconception that a telescope simply magnifies the size of an object, when in reality it is creating a larger image of the object. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of magnifying power and how it affects the appearance of objects through a telescope.

1. What is magnifying power?

Magnifying power refers to the ability of a lens or instrument to make an object appear larger than its actual size.

2. How is magnifying power measured?

Magnifying power is typically measured in terms of "x" or "times," such as 10x or 20x, which indicates how many times larger an object will appear when viewed through the lens or instrument.

3. How does magnifying power affect the appearance of objects?

The higher the magnifying power, the closer an object will appear to the viewer. This can make the object appear more detailed and easier to see, but it can also distort the image and make it appear blurry if the magnifying power is too high.

4. How is magnifying power related to distance?

Magnifying power does not directly affect distance. However, a higher magnifying power can make an object appear closer and therefore, the distance between the viewer and the object may seem shorter.

5. Can magnifying power change the physical properties of an object?

No, magnifying power does not change the physical properties of an object. It only changes the appearance and perception of the object by making it appear larger or closer.