Optimizing Price for Tins of Volume 535cm^3

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, a company is to produce tins of volume 535cm^3. The cost of the metal per square meter for the base and top is twice the cost of the walls. The base radius and tin height should be used for an optimal price.
danago
Gold Member
"A company is to produce tins of volume 535cm[itex]^3[/itex]. The cost of the metal per square meter for the base and top is twice the cost of the walls. What base radius and tin height should be used for an optimal price?"

First i wrote equations for the surface area, volume, and cost.

[tex]
\displaylines{
A_{Side} = 2\pi rh \cr
A_{Ends} = 2\pi r^2 \cr
C_{Side} = x(2\pi rh) \cr
C_{Ends} = 2x(2\pi r^2 ) \cr
C = 2x(2\pi r^2 + \pi rh) \cr}
535 = \pi r^2 h\therefore h = \frac{{535}}{{\pi r^2 }}
[/tex]

I then rewrote my cost equation, replacing 'h' with an expression in terms of 'r'.
[tex]
C = 2x(2\pi r^2 + \frac{{535}}{r})
[/tex]

So now i have an equation for cost, in terms of x (the cost of the metal for the walls of the tin), and r (the radius of the base/top). Have i gone about it the right way? If so, what should i do next? can i just cancel the x off?

Thanks,
Dan.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your initial working is absolutely correct.
All you have to do now is to minimise the final cost function C using calculus . Remember that x is a constant here and so the only variable is r.

arunbg said:
Yes your initial working is absolutely correct.
All you have to do now is to minimise the final cost function C using calculus . Remember that x is a constant here and so the only variable is r.

ok. So using the product rule i get:
[tex]
C' = 2x(4\pi r - \frac{{535}}{{r^2 }})
[/tex]

But I've still got two variables.

You have to actually set [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}=0[/tex] for minimum.
Also remember that x is a constant and can be eliminated.
Now find r.

Last edited:
ok i see what do do now. If i had actually taken the time to continue with my working instead of automatically think it was wrong, i would have got it :)

So since
[tex]
2x(4\pi r - \frac{{535}}{{r^2 }}) = 0
[/tex]

I divide everything by 2x, which ends up cancelling the x anyway :) And the answer would be r=3.5, and h=14 :)

Thanks a lot for the help :P

You're welcome.:D

1. How do you determine the optimal price for tins of volume 535cm^3?

The optimal price for tins of volume 535cm^3 is determined through a combination of market research, cost analysis, and pricing strategies. Market research involves studying the demand for the product, competition, and consumer behavior. Cost analysis takes into account the production costs, materials, labor, and overhead expenses. Pricing strategies such as cost-plus pricing, value-based pricing, and competition-based pricing are used to determine the most profitable price point.

2. What factors affect the optimal price for tins of volume 535cm^3?

There are several factors that can affect the optimal price for tins of volume 535cm^3. These include production costs, materials, labor, competition, consumer demand, market trends, and pricing strategies. Other external factors such as economic conditions and supply and demand can also impact the optimal price.

3. How do you balance profitability and customer satisfaction when optimizing the price for tins of volume 535cm^3?

Balancing profitability and customer satisfaction when optimizing the price for tins of volume 535cm^3 involves finding the sweet spot where the price is attractive to customers while still generating enough profit for the business. This can be achieved by conducting market research, understanding consumer needs and preferences, and using pricing strategies that take into account both profitability and customer satisfaction.

4. What are some common pricing strategies used to optimize the price for tins of volume 535cm^3?

Some common pricing strategies used to optimize the price for tins of volume 535cm^3 include cost-plus pricing, value-based pricing, competition-based pricing, and penetration pricing. Cost-plus pricing involves adding a markup to the production costs to determine the final price. Value-based pricing takes into account the perceived value of the product to customers. Competition-based pricing involves setting the price based on what competitors are charging. Penetration pricing is when a lower price is initially set to gain market share and then gradually increased over time.

5. How often should the optimal price for tins of volume 535cm^3 be evaluated and adjusted?

The optimal price for tins of volume 535cm^3 should be regularly evaluated and adjusted to stay competitive in the market and maintain profitability. This frequency may vary depending on market conditions, competition, and consumer demand. However, a general rule of thumb is to review and adjust prices at least once a year, or when significant changes occur in the market or business operations.