What is the best way to integrate this?

• Thread starter LinearAlgebra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the best way to integrate -250*cost*sin^2t dt is by using integration by parts. The general rule for this method is Integral of udv = u*v - int(v*du). In this case, v is equal to sin^2t and dv/dt is equal to 2sintcost. By choosing u=sint and du=costdt, the integral simplifies to sin^3t - int (sin^2t*costdt). However, it is also possible to use a u-substitution, with the most obvious choice being u=sin(t). Ultimately, it is important to try different methods and see which one works best for each individual problem.
LinearAlgebra
What is the best way to integrate this??

What is the best way to integrate -250*cost*sin^2t dt ??

I'm looking in my old calc book and it says to integrate by parts-is this the only way to do it? When I try this it makes the integral even more complicated than it was to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you choosing as u and dv?

Try a u-substitution. The most obvious being u=sin(x)

Okay so here's how I did it:

The general rule is Integral of udv = u*v - int(v*du)

So i said that v = sin^2t dv/dt = 2sintcost
du=costdt --> u=sint

Integral = sin^3t - int (sin^2t*costdt)??

d_leet said:
Try a u-substitution. The most obvious being u=sin(x)

But then what do you do with cost ?? how do you put that in terms of u??

LinearAlgebra said:

du=costdt --> u=sint

Integral = sin^3t - int (sin^2t*costdt)

??

This is really messy, are you absolutely sure the book said to use integration by parts because if the problem is exactly as you've posted it then there is a much simpler way.

LinearAlgebra said:
But then what do you do with cost ?? how do you put that in terms of u??

Well how do you normally do a u-substitution? What is du?

No it absolutely didnt say intgrate by parts...i'm in a higher level class and haven't touched calc in 5 years and so i forget how to do this basic operation. I looked in my old freshman yr calc book and that's what it said to do. If you have a simpler way, I'm sure that's what we should do.

We have to do line integrals and as a part of the g(x,y)dx, dy, ds..this was one of the problems i was having (actually performing the integral).

LinearAlgebra said:
No it absolutely didnt say intgrate by parts...i'm in a higher level class and haven't touched calc in 5 years and so i forget how to do this basic operation. I looked in my old freshman yr calc book and that's what it said to do. If you have a simpler way, I'm sure that's what we should do.

I don't even believe a freshman level book would say to do integration by parts for this problem.

um. okay. well I'm not lying?? I mean i don't know how that it supposed to be constructive. do you have the name of the method, the easier way, that you would use?

LinearAlgebra said:
um. okay. well I'm not lying?? I mean i don't know how that it supposed to be constructive. do you have the name of the method, the easier way, that you would use?

Yes I do, and I've mentioned it twice already.

Ooooh. got it, thanks. so when should i use the u substitution method vs integration by parts? the u sub worked out perfectly in this case...

LinearAlgebra said:
Ooooh. got it, thanks. so when should i use the u substitution method vs integration by parts? the u sub worked out perfectly in this case...

Parts often seems to be reserved for a last resort situation when nothing else seems to work, so it's probably best to try and use a u-substitution or other method before resorting to parts.

Another way to do it would be to use double angle formula (for cos) and then factor formulae to simplify, then just integrate. Not difficult either.

You could use the double angle of sin. (sin(2t)=2sintcost) and substitut it .

Would be somethink like this: -250 S cos t sin 2t dt
-250 S cos t 2sint cost dt
-500 S (cos t)^2 sint dt
Then u=cost du=-sint dt, then 500 S u^2 dt
500 (u^3)/3
substituting back u= cost 500 (cost)^3* 1 / 3

Wala, there is, no integration by parts is useless if you have the du on the integral. Just the double angle formula.

-Link

LinearAlgebra said:

du=costdt --> u=sint

Integral = sin^3t - int (sin^2t*costdt)

??

With all respect,
You are the rule right but the dv/dt= -2 cos 2t, you just use the double angle formula.

-link

Link- said:
You could use the double angle of sin. (sin(2t)=2sintcost) and substitut it .

Would be somethink like this: -250 S cos t sin 2t dt

-Link
The original problem does not contain sin(2t), it has sin^2t.
As d_leet has mentioned, it appears, that the simplest way is to put u=sint.

Last edited:
ssd said:
The original problem does not contain sin(2t), it has sin^2t.
As d_leet has mentioned, it appears, that the simplest way is to put u=sint.

OHHH, I didn't notice, the that's the way, you are right.

LinearAlgebra said:

du=costdt --> u=sint

Integral = sin^3t - int (sin^2t*costdt)??

This one is quite easy with integration by parts. It's no harder (and maybe even easier) than u-substitution.

[tex]\int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt[/tex]

Applying integration by parts with
[tex]u = \sin^2 t, dv = \cos t\;dt \text{\ for which\ } du = 2 \sin t \cos t\; dt, v = \sin t[/tex]
[tex]\int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt = \sin^3 t - 2 \int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt[/tex]
The integral on the left- and right-hand sides are the same integral. Thus
[tex]3 \int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt = \sin^3 t [/tex]
or
[tex]\int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt = \frac{\sin^3 t}{3}[/tex]

Last edited:

sub u= sin t
du/dt = cos t
-250 sin^2 t . du/dt . dt = -250 u^2 du
and then = (-250 u ^3)/3
Substitute 'u' back in and u get (-250 sin^3 t)/3
then the result is (-250 sin^3 t)/3 + c since there are no boundaries

Last edited:

D H said:
This one is quite easy with integration by parts. It's no harder (and maybe even easier) than u-substitution.

[tex]\int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt[/tex]

Applying integration by parts with
[tex]u = \sin^2 t, dv = \cos t\;dt \text{\ for which\ } du = 2 \sin t \cos t\; dt, v = \sin t[/tex]
[tex]\int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt = \sin^3 t - 2 \int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt[/tex]
The integral on the left- and right-hand sides are the same integral. Thus
[tex]3 \int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt = \sin^3 t [/tex]
or
[tex]\int \sin^2t \cos t \; dt = \frac{\sin^3 t}{3}[/tex]

finally :smile: , I just spent 20 minutes doing this integral.

LinearAlgebra said:
What is the best way to integrate -250*cost*sin^2t dt ??

I'm looking in my old calc book and it says to integrate by parts-is this the only way to do it? When I try this it makes the integral even more complicated than it was to begin with.

[tex]\int-250.cost\sin^2tdt = \int-250\sin^2td(sint)= -250 \frac{\ sin^3t}_{ 3}[/tex]

1. What is the most effective method for integrating this new technology into our current system?

The best way to integrate a new technology into an existing system depends on the specific context and needs of the system. Generally, it is recommended to thoroughly assess the capabilities and limitations of the new technology, identify potential compatibility issues, and develop a plan for implementation that includes testing and training for users.

2. How can we ensure a smooth integration process?

To ensure a smooth integration process, it is important to involve all relevant stakeholders in the planning and decision-making process. Clear communication and a detailed project plan can also help to address any potential challenges and ensure that all necessary steps are taken for a successful integration.

3. Should we integrate this technology gradually or all at once?

The decision to integrate a new technology gradually or all at once depends on the specific technology and the needs of the system. In some cases, a gradual integration may be more feasible and less disruptive to the system, while in other cases it may be necessary to fully implement the technology at once. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact and make a decision based on what will be most effective for the system.

4. How do we measure the success of the integration?

The success of an integration can be measured in various ways, such as improved efficiency, cost savings, increased user satisfaction, and achieving the desired outcomes. It is important to establish clear goals and metrics before the integration process begins, and regularly monitor and assess these metrics throughout and after the integration to determine its success.

5. Are there any potential risks or challenges associated with integrating this technology?

There can be potential risks and challenges associated with integrating new technology into an existing system, such as compatibility issues, data loss, and disruption to workflow. It is important to thoroughly assess these risks and develop a plan to mitigate them before beginning the integration process. Regular monitoring and contingency plans can also help to address any unexpected challenges that may arise during the integration.