Standing waves and a reflector

In summary, when a reflector is added to a setup with a different detector, a standing wave can be created with maxima and minima in the signal. By measuring the detector output as a function of distance, it was found that there are 3 additional maxima after moving the reflector a distance of 4.29 cm. This allows for calculation of the frequency of the microwaves from the generator.
map7s
When a reflector is added to the previous setup, as shown in Figure 9 (page 201), a standing wave can be created. We are using a different detector in this case. Measuring the detector output as a function of distance along the goniometer (look it up!), we see that there are maxima and minima in the signal. Starting at one of the maxima, we find 3 additional maxima after moving the reflector a distance of 4.29 cm. Therefore, the frequency of the microwaves from this generator is ? GHz.

I first divided 0.0429 by 3 to find out the length of each wavelength and then used the equation c=wavelength*f to solve for f

(3E8)/(0.0429/3)=f

then I took that number and divided it by 1E9 to convert to GHz.

At first I thought that I messed up something about the wavelength and that maye it should be divided by four instead of three...so I tried that, and my answer was still wrong. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry...here is the attached picture

Attachments

• Lab 11 - Microwave and Light Interference.final.11-29-06.pdf
    229.3 KB · Views: 218
The positions where a maximum signal is detected corresponds to the antinodes of the standing wave. Midway in between these whe find the antinodes (minimum signal). What you need to clear up then is how the wavelength of the signal is related to the distance between the antinodes. One you have determined this relationship you know that 3 times this value is 4.29 cm (the distance four antinodes/maxima covers).

1. What is a standing wave and how is it formed?

A standing wave is a type of wave that appears to be stationary, with no net movement of energy. It is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates points of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in a pattern of nodes and antinodes.

2. Can a standing wave exist without a reflector?

No, a standing wave requires a reflector or boundary to form. Without a reflector, the two waves would simply pass through each other and not interfere.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a standing wave and its wavelength?

The length of a standing wave is equal to one-half of its wavelength. This means that the wavelength of a standing wave is twice the distance between two consecutive nodes or antinodes.

4. What is the significance of reflectors in practical applications of standing waves?

Reflectors play a crucial role in practical applications of standing waves, such as in musical instruments and acoustic resonance. They help to amplify and manipulate standing waves, allowing for the production of specific frequencies and tones.

5. Can standing waves be observed in all types of waves?

Yes, standing waves can be observed in all types of waves, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. They are a fundamental phenomenon in wave behavior and can be seen in various natural and man-made systems.