Driving/Kinematics Question

• Thread starter MJC8719
  • Start date
In summary: So the correct answer is the second one you calculated, 4.6432 m/s. The book's speed relative to you would be the same as its final velocity, since you're both falling at the same rate. In summary, the original speed was 82.108 miles per hour and the book's speed relative to the person when it hits the elevator floor is 4.6432 m/s.
MJC8719
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 5.5 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 12 s. What was your original speed?

hey yall, so I am sure that this is probably an easy question but I am getting stuck,

heres what i have so far

So my original speed is v = 1/t miles/s

Second hint: New speed = v + 5.5 = (1/t + 5.5)

Time to go 1 mile decreesed by 12 sec means it took (t-12) sec to travel one mile this time.

So new speed can also be written as 1/(t-12)
1/t + 5.5 = 1 /(t-12)

so i then solved for t,

this gave me t-12.179 seconds. i then thought that my original speed would be 1/t miles/s

so i divided 1/12.179 = .082108 miles per second.

i think thought to multiply this by 60 to convert to minutes then again by 60 to convert to hours. this gave me 295.59077 as my final answer which isn't correct. according to the homework problem, it is between 10 to 100% off the correct answer.

also, i will add this nother question to this thread...

While riding on an elevator descending with a constant speed of 2.8 m/s, you accidentally drop a book from under your arm.

How long does it take for the book to reach the elevator floor, 1.1 m below your arm?

What is the book's speed relative to you when it hits the elevator floor?

I got this first part of this fine..the answer was .4738 seconds but cannot get the second.

I am assuming that the velocity of the book would be simply found by dividing distance by time so...1.1/.4738 = 2.32165 m/s or...i also was given the formula

final velocity = square root of (initial velocity - 2 x acceleration x displacement)

this equation gave me a final velocity of 4.6432 m/s

i am unsure which is the correct one and why...also then how to i compare this veolocity relative to me...add or subtract or multiply...? i do not understand that part.

thanks for any and all help

Physics news on Phys.org
You overlooked the fact that the increase in speed, 5.5, was given in miles per HOUR not, miles per second. Convert the 5.5, and redo the calculation. Alternatively, convert the 12 s to hours from the start.

For the second question, you can't just divide the distance the book fell by the time it took to fall, because the book isn't traveling at a constant velocity. It's accelerating. Doing that would only give you its average velocity over that time interval. That's why the other formula has to be used.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its causes, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate of change of distance over time, while velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It can be either positive (increasing velocity) or negative (decreasing velocity).

4. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass, the smaller the acceleration.

5. Can you have a constant velocity and changing acceleration?

Yes, it is possible to have a constant velocity (no change in speed or direction) while still experiencing a changing acceleration. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. So, as long as the magnitude and direction of acceleration changes in a way that cancels out, the velocity will remain constant.