Laundry detergent and grease question

• Thread starter quickslant
  • Start date
In summary, detergent acts on grease by surrounding it with its molecule that has two ends - one that attaches to the grease and the other that attaches to water. This allows the water to pull the grease away in smaller droplets. The use of hot water increases the efficiency of this process. Detergents with ionic "handles" are the key to breaking down the surface tension of water and deactivating the detergent over time.
quickslant
When detergent acts on grease (their claim it cuts the grease) what this really means is that the detergent surrounds the grease making it water-soluable correct? that's what i got so far, but I am not sure how that works. can someone explain it to me on a molecular level?

Biology news on Phys.org
I am no expert but my limited understanding is that there are two components - a detergent and an emulsifier:

Grease - being organic fat and oil based - is water-repellent, so the polar configuration of water can't tear it apart (which is what it usually does to most things). Fats and oils are some of the few things that are immune to water's "nigh-universal solvent" property.

But the detergent molecule has a shape with two different ends - one end has an affinity for oils and attaches itself to the grease, the other end has an affinity for water and allows water to attach to it.

The grease now literally has a handle that the water can grab and pull. The blob of grease is torn into smaller micro droplets, which are further surrounded by the oil-loving detergent molecules. The micro droplets are prevented from coalescing back into a large blob of grease while at the same time the water is free to transport the droplets away.

Using hot water gives the water molecules more "kick", making them more efficient at ripping apart the fats and oil molecules.

detergent molecules have two ends: one is hydrophobic (usually alkyl or benzyl) and the other is hydrophilic (usually carboxlyic acid or sulfate, something that is charged).

the detergent molecules surround the hydrophobic solute (grease, protein, etc.) by sticking with their hydrophobic end, and the hydrophilic ends maintain a solvation shell around the new micelle that has encapsulated the solute.

Dave's explanation is a good one. Surfactants like a detergent break down the surface tension of water, too. But the ionic "handles" are really the trick, as Dave explained. It is also why detergents in dishwater eventually stop working. The effectiveness of the detergent drops over time- detergent is deactivated and taken out of play by attaching itself to fats and oils.

1. What is the function of laundry detergent?

Laundry detergent is a cleaning agent that helps remove dirt, stains, and odors from clothing and other fabrics. It contains surfactants that attract and lift away dirt and grease particles, as well as enzymes and other ingredients that break down stains and odors.

2. Can laundry detergent remove grease stains?

Yes, most laundry detergents are formulated to effectively remove grease stains from clothing. However, some tough or set-in grease stains may require pre-treatment or a specialized stain remover.

3. Is laundry detergent safe for all fabrics?

Laundry detergent can be used on most fabrics, but it is important to check the care label on your clothing before washing. Some delicate fabrics may require a gentler detergent or hand washing.

4. How much laundry detergent should I use?

The amount of laundry detergent needed depends on the size of your load and the concentration of the detergent. It is best to follow the instructions on the detergent packaging for the recommended amount. Using too much detergent can result in excessive suds and may not effectively clean your clothes.

5. Can laundry detergent be harmful to the environment?

Some laundry detergents may contain chemicals that can be harmful to the environment, such as phosphates or synthetic fragrances. It is important to choose a detergent that is labeled as environmentally-friendly or biodegradable. Additionally, using too much detergent can lead to water pollution, so it is important to measure and use the recommended amount.