Football vs errr Football (American)

• Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
In summary, soccer is a much bigger sport globally than football (American), with a larger fan base and higher revenues. However, in terms of individual team revenues, the NFL brings in more money due to its marketing and financial investments. Some notable examples of successful and profitable soccer teams are Chelsea, Manchester United, and Real Madrid. The success of these teams is evidence of the potential profits in the sport of soccer.
member 5645
Football vs...errr... Football (American)

Pro Soccer (just to keep things simple) vs. Pro Football.

My friend is convinced that Football is a greater revenue generated than Soccer is. I tell him that I don't see this being possible, and he doesn't realize how HUGE soccer is in the rest of the world.
Now, granted, American Football probably makes more for the same advertisement due to the money we put into a marketing in this country, but we are about the only country in the world (besides maybe Canada) that isn't soccer crazed.

So my challenge is, find me some proof one way or the other on revenues that each sport generates, as well as your opinions :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
American Football makes way more dollars than Soccer. In fact, even hockey makes way more dollars in a month than Soccer does all year.

tribdog said:
American Football makes way more dollars than Soccer. In fact, even hockey makes way more dollars in a month than Soccer does all year.

Not just soccer in the US. Soccer throughout the world vs. American football.

yep, I know what you are saying. now think about what I said.

tribdog said:
yep, I know what you are saying. now think about what I said.

got anything to back this up?

lol, want to make a bet on it? before you bet though you should know that I have no idea how much money soccer makes. I only know that football makes more dollars than soccer. remember I'm not known for being correct, I'm known for being a smart ***. and I apologize for it ahead of time.

Okay, I can't keep this up. It isn't that funny. I was being a smart a. I said dollars where you said money. since they don't use dollars in most of the rest of the world I figured it was a safe bet. If you would have said Euros or yen or pesos etc...

LOL i thought it was pretty funny tribdog, i picked up on it straight away. Yes "soccer" (IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL DAMMIT! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE...just the americans have to call it something different) is the biggest sport in the world, and i am a pro at it! lol. ok, not quite a pro, but an amateur...

jimmy p said:
LOL i thought it was pretty funny tribdog, i picked up on it straight away. Yes "soccer" (IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL DAMMIT! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE...just the americans have to call it something different) is the biggest sport in the world, and i am a pro at it! lol. ok, not quite a pro, but an amateur...
lol. I kicked a ball once. guess I'm an amateur too. I don't brag about it though-just kidding don't be offended.

tribdog said:
Okay, I can't keep this up. It isn't that funny. I was being a smart a. I said dollars where you said money. since they don't use dollars in most of the rest of the world I figured it was a safe bet. If you would have said Euros or yen or pesos etc...

meh, I simply assumed you were just misusing the word, and paid it no mind.
I know soccer is far larger! Simply based on fan base size, if everything soccer was 1/10th the cost of football, then soccer would STILL bring in higher revenues.

I just want to find some evidence of this to rub in my friends face ;)

go look up on Chelsea football club in England. Bought last year by a Russian billionaire (Roman Abramovich). He spent millions buying the club (in fact Chelsea were doing so bad that they were originally bought some years back for £1!).

Roman Abramovich also spent £110 million buying a few players and then OVERSPENDS when he buys players to make sure he seals the deal. This guy has boosted up Chelsea so much now that next season i believe they will rule the football world. The reason he is doing this?? He is going to RAKE in profit. He has spent probably over £200 million for the sake of football. But he is making money. Just goes to show...

If you want a more globalised profiteering, try to find the revenues on Manchester United or Real Madrid. Those are super-rich clubs. Man Utd is probably the most world-reknowned club, with "fans" in Africa and Japan and EVERYWHERE. They are still scummers though.

Soccer is very, very huge with the rest of the world. Except for the US. Although every afternoon I see little kids with coaches playing soccer, perhaps an attempt to popularize the sport.

Didn't Real Madrid bought David Beckham considered the Michael Jordan of soccer?

David Beckham is an over-rated footballer. He spends more time modelling and stuff than being consistent at football. He was bought when they he was playing well and in the first month of playing for Madrid, he played well. But now he has under-perfomed for the past few months.

AND he is the England captain who never really plays to his peak. Everyone loves him cos he can score free kicks even at difficult angles but he doesn't play well otherwise.

There are so many better football players. For example, Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane (player of the year 2 years running) and Thierry Henry. Thierry Henry has been at Arsenal 6 (?) years and has broken so many club records and he is still young. In fact Zinedine Zidane voted Henry should have been player of the year. Henry should have got it.

If you are talking total world-wide revenues, soccer might out-earn football. There are probably 100 pro soccer teams for every pro football team. As far as individual teams are concerned, I doubt any soccer team does as well as the poorest NFL team.

The NFL pulls in well over 3 billion dollars a year with 32 teams. The least valuable franchises are worth about a quarter of a billion dollars, the most valuable are worth about a billion even. I believe the Washington Redskins recently surpassed the Dallas Cowboys as the most valuable sports team in the world.

Njorl

jimmy p said:
David Beckham is an over-rated footballer. He spends more time modelling and stuff than being consistent at football. He was bought when they he was playing well and in the first month of playing for Madrid, he played well. But now he has under-perfomed for the past few months.

I take my comment back since Michael Jordan is a true athlete and a consistent one at that.

Njorl said:
As far as individual teams are concerned, I doubt any soccer team does as well as the poorest NFL team.

The NFL pulls in well over 3 billion dollars a year with 32 teams. The least valuable franchises are worth about a quarter of a billion dollars, the most valuable are worth about a billion even. I believe the Washington Redskins recently surpassed the Dallas Cowboys as the most valuable sports team in the world.

Njorl
Not quite:
Manchester United: English Premier League Soccer: Revenue - $225million: Value - $1000m (2002)
N.Y. Yankees: Baseball/MLB: Revenue - $223million: Value - $850m (2002)
Redskins: NFL/Football: Revenue - $204million: Value - $845m (2001)
source: http://worldsoccer.about.com/cs/theposts/a/safmaf0127.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
hey hey, what did i tell you! Manchester United.

American style football is one of the least watched sports in the world. Also, football (American) has the lowest worth of any major sport in the world (even Cricket makes more money in a year). There was a list in the USA Today a few months back that showed the richest sports, most viewed sports, etc.. I'll try and find the link when I get an opprotunity. But I do remember the top 5 spectator sports in the world:

1) Soccer
2) Basketball
3) Hockey
4) Baseball
5) Racing (includes all forms of racing: F1, CART, Indy, NASCAR, MotoGP, WorldSBK, AMA, etc.)

Last edited:

What is the difference between Football and Football (American)?

Football and Football (American) are two different sports, although they may have some similarities. Football, also known as soccer, is a team sport played between two teams of eleven players each. It is played with a round ball and the objective is to score goals by kicking the ball into the opponent's goal. On the other hand, Football (American), also known as American football, is a team sport played between two teams of eleven players each. It is played with an oval-shaped ball and the objective is to score points by advancing the ball into the opponent's end zone.

Which sport is more popular, Football or Football (American)?

The popularity of Football and Football (American) varies depending on the region. Football is more popular globally, with an estimated 4 billion fans worldwide. However, in the United States, Football (American) is the more popular sport with an estimated 37% of Americans identifying it as their favorite sport, compared to only 9% for Football.

What are the main differences in the rules between Football and Football (American)?

Football and Football (American) have different rules and gameplay. In Football, players are not allowed to use their hands, except for the goalkeepers. In Football (American), players can use their hands to catch, throw, and carry the ball. Additionally, Football has a continuous clock and the game is divided into two halves, while Football (American) has a stop-clock and the game is divided into four quarters. There are also differences in scoring, field dimensions, and number of players on the field.

Which sport has a higher risk of injuries, Football or Football (American)?

Both Football and Football (American) have a risk of injuries, but the types of injuries may differ. In Football, common injuries include ankle sprains, hamstring strains, and concussions. In Football (American), common injuries include ACL tears, shoulder dislocations, and concussions. The risk of injury also depends on factors such as player position, level of play, and training techniques.

Are there any similarities between Football and Football (American)?

Despite their differences, Football and Football (American) share some similarities. Both sports require teamwork, strategy, and physical fitness. They also both have professional leagues and international competitions. Additionally, both sports have a strong fanbase and contribute to the cultural identity of their respective countries.