Need an Arxiv endorsement for preprinting my paper

In summary, Barry.D.O Adams has completed a paper looking into the possibility of a new force between neutrinos. He is looking for an endorsement from a publishing physicist so that he can upload it to ArXiv, but his website is broken and the links to the paper do not work. He has a PhD in stat mech from a different field, and has been reading arXiv for 14 years. He thinks that if he has a PhD, like he says on his website, then surely he knows somebody who has papers on the arXiv and can endorse him. He has submitted his work to the Independent Research forum, but is worried that it may be hidden as a subcategory of general physics and that the prices
BDOA
Hi, I've just completed a paper looking at the possiblity of adding a new force between
neutrinos. And I'm looking to get an Endorsement from a publishing physicist so i can
uploaded it to arXiv.

Its almost an fully orignal idea, although L.M. Slad, did derive a similar force, he didn't look at the Phenomenology and implications.
At least its orignal as far as a can tell from arXiv, i may a missed works from the dark ages before 1993.

I can claim genuine physicists credentials, a PhD no less, but in a different field
(stat mech, rather than particle-physic. I also read arXiv, daily for the last 14 years, normally picking 3 to 5 interest
papers to read. I even understand some of them, provided they don't mention Branes or Cohomologies.

{Content deleted in violation of PF Guidelines. Please contact member via PM for more details - Zz.}

Kind reguards,
Barry.D.O Adams

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. I'm not sure what the forum rules are on this-- we do not permit discussion of personal theories, but this is you simply asking for an endorsement, so I'm not sure-- we'll wait for what the mentors have to say.
2. Your website is broken-- the links, especially the one to your pdf, do not work.
3. This is a just a curious question really: if you have a PhD, like you say on your website, then surely you know someone who has papers on the arxiv and can endorse you?

To answer your points

1. Well i certainly hope I've haven't broken the forum rules.

2. Fixed the link to the paper (3 of four non technical pages are written, one yet to be)

3. It was 14 years ago i finished my PhD, and a left academia to work as a computer programmer. The might be some of the staff from my unveristy still working, but my supervisers long retired, and doubt the others remember me.

Please familiarize yourself with the PF Guidelines that you have agreed to. If anyone who can endorse your paper, he/she will have to contact you privately via PM. Unpublished work are generally not allowed here on PF (with some exceptions).

As an endorser of ArXiv, I don't normally give my endorsement on something that I am not familiar with. So in your case, your best bet would be to find somebody from your own field of study who is familiar with you and/or your work to endorse it. However, and this is something you will have to consider yourself, getting uploaded onto ArXiv should not be the "ultimate" goal here, since it is still isn't considered as a peer-reviewed publication. If all you care about is getting listed there but not in any respected peer-reviewed publication, then depending on the field of study, it may not get the attention and consideration that it deserves. This is certainly true in many fields in physics such as condensed matter.

Zz.

You can submit your theory for discussion in PF's Independent Research forum. This the one place where we allow discussion of personal or unpublished theories. Perhaps there is someone here who is familiar enough with neutrino physics to judge whether they are willing to stake part of their reputation on endorsing you for arXiv.

Journals

Taken jtbells advise and submitted to your IR forum, it looks quiet there
maybe becuase its hidden as a sub category of general physics. And
much as i'd love to submitted to a journal (and the work getting though peer
review is certainly a necessary part of the scientific process), I've just
looked up the prices: physical review D, charges $125 per page for
publication. While that's a premiar journal, and the other may be less,
that is pretty off putting for any independent researcher.

Hi BDOA,

Our situations are identical. My "academic contacts" are either retired or deceased. I never considered submitting my work to the IR forum. What will prevent someone from downloading your paper, changing the title and author, and sending it to Physical Review?

(See my concurrent thread "Let's Pretend")

etr said:
Hi BDOA,

Our situations are identical. My "academic contacts" are either retired or deceased. I never considered submitting my work to the IR forum. What will prevent someone from downloading your paper, changing the title and author, and sending it to Physical Review?

(See my concurrent thread "Let's Pretend")

Who would do that anyway? Science is not about merits. Besides, if one published to the IR forum a paper with his name and date on, (noting that the date is also recorded on the forum), then I would say that the paper is in the public domain. Thus the paper would probably be copyrighted to you

cristo said:
Who would do that anyway? Science is not about merits.

A bad person would do it. Or it the work was REALLY GOOD, the cat would be out of the bag - people would take the idea and run with it, leaving the poor inventor with nothing but an insignificant thread on an insignificant website. I really don't believe that physicsforums.com qualifies as "prior art".

Arxiv would establish priority at the very least - get some attention and some cred.

That is good input from neutrino. Everybody knows about Peer Review and ARXIV,
perhaps someone has a suggestion about getting amateur research into publication?
Are "vanity journals" only for crackpots?

I would suggest emailing your paper to people that you have referenced, who are still active in the field.

However, if you do this, I would suggest...

Make sure the paper is in a good state! ie. w.r.t. the obvious grammar, spelling, layout and, if applicable, photo ready figures (though, as you've written a thesis, you probably know this).

Make sure you bibliography is complete and full of relevant pulications; ie. not web-links to preprints or "internet publications".

Lastly, send a personal email -- don't send a mass mailout to everyone you think will be interested.

If you hit the contact on the right day, and you work stands-up, you may got some good feedback -- and, if you choose you contact right, they won't even consider "stealing" your work.

If you're really serious about your results, this is a much better way to go rather than posting on arxiv or, in particular, on a message board.

BDOA said:
Taken jtbells advise and submitted to your IR forum, it looks quiet there
maybe becuase its hidden as a sub category of general physics. And
much as i'd love to submitted to a journal (and the work getting though peer
review is certainly a necessary part of the scientific process), I've just
looked up the prices: physical review D, charges $125 per page for
publication. While that's a premiar journal, and the other may be less,
that is pretty off putting for any independent researcher.

Then you must have never published in those journals before. While there ARE publication charges, they are voluntary! The Physical Review will still publish your manuscript if it is accepted and passed through the refereeing process, even if you can't pay the publication costs! So that misinformation needs to be corrected here.

Only after your manuscript has been accepted for publication will the publication costs be sent to you. You then have two check boxes to choose from: that you accept the charges, or you decline the charges. That's it. So using the publication charges as an excuse for not submitting isn't valid.

Zz.

I've considered soliciting an arxiv endorsement from this forum for some time now. I guess this thread is proof that it doesn't work!

(and I'm even a good speller!)

The $125 pp publication charges in Phys Rev are only if one doesn't submit the manuscript in electronic format.

So you don't even have decline the charges if you submit electronically (and why wouldn't you?).

AptMit said:
The $125 pp publication charges in Phys Rev are only if one doesn't submit the manuscript in electronic format.

So you don't even have decline the charges if you submit electronically (and why wouldn't you?).

Er.. no. You still get publication charges even if you submit electronically. You get a "discount" for submitting it electronically using their LaTex style or Word template, but you still have charges. I had just paid for one 2 weeks ago, and I have never submitted to PRB/PRL non-electronically.

Zz.

Odd indeed, for the people I know who publish in PRD don't pay, and always smirk at those of us who publish in the astro journals and do. PRL, yes.

Er... Dan Koshland is not, and never was, an "amateur physicist".

Zz.

Don't be so quick to type! "...another amateur..." refers to the original poster.

etr said:
Don't be so quick to type! "...another amateur..." refers to the original poster.

Hum... which original poster? This thread, or the other thread that you found this link from?

Zz.

Have they even realized that that's your blog Zz :biggrin:

etr said:
I've considered soliciting an arxiv endorsement from this forum for some time now. I guess this thread is proof that it doesn't work!

(and I'm even a good speller!)

Welcome to The Academic Club. The level of comment I've seen thus far in this thread have been rather disturbing, & dare I say, arrogant. I'm appalled at some of the attacks. A simple question was asked, and a range of attacks ensued - many rather unjustified.

We now wonder why Academia in many countries is dying a slow death. Incredible.

J77 said:
Have they even realized that that's your blog Zz :biggrin:

I'm not sure.

momentum_waves said:
Welcome to The Academic Club. The level of comment I've seen thus far in this thread have been rather disturbing, & dare I say, arrogant. I'm appalled at some of the attacks. A simple question was asked, and a range of attacks ensued - many rather unjustified.

We now wonder why Academia in many countries is dying a slow death. Incredible.

This has nothing to do with "arrogant" but rather QUALITY. If you had bothered looking on ArXiv and see the guidelines for Endorsers, you would see that it is exactly what I had written. How could anyone, even a physicist, endorse something that he or she isn't an expert in, or knows the author well? Do you open your home to strangers?

I even went a step further and made recommendations on what the OP should do to find someone who might endorse the manuscript. I just didn't say "Oh, I won't endorse you. Go away!".

.. and I'm not even going to ask you for the statistics to back your claim of that "slow death".

Zz.

No real need to quote a ream of statistics, is there? The number of articles referring to 'The Death of Science', of 'Education'... is self evident.

The barrier to a new, or novel thought process is incredibly restrictive. This process eventually ends up squashing out all new ideas & innovation - until the next logic revolution advances. This has been the way of the ages & is nothing new. It is merely a cyclical repetition - a wave.

momentum_waves said:
No real need to quote a ream of statistics, is there? The number of articles referring to 'The Death of Science', of 'Education'... is self evident.

The barrier to a new, or novel thought process is incredibly restrictive. This process eventually ends up squashing out all new ideas & innovation - until the next logic revolution advances. This has been the way of the ages & is nothing new. It is merely a cyclical repetition - a wave.

No, you are confusing the death of "quality". I don't see any decline in the number of enrollment in education. I do see a decline in the number of enrollment in physics, which I had fully documented elsewhere (in the US, there is a surge in physics enrollment this past year, both in high school and in colleges).

What is the problem here is what has been termed as the Cult of the Amateur, where people no longer care where they get their information and the quality of that information, and everyone who seems to think that since they have an opinion on something becomes an "expert". If I were one of those people, I'd give away my endorsement as freely as I blink my eyes.

The OP has a "paper". My advice has been to find an expert in that area of study and let him/her review it to see if he/she would endorse it. No one should endorse something he/she isn't an expert in. I do not see what is wrong with that advice.

Zz.

Fair enough comments. I apologise if I seemed a little confrontational.

I was a little shocked, to be honest, by many of the other posts - you had actually provided suggestions & were helpful within your reference frame. The OP was looking for a sponsor - which seemed to be a simple request. The rest of the thread then seemed like a battle-ground between posters for & against such formats as arXiv.

My personal view is that arXiv & its fellows, present an alternative medium & way forward. In many ways it represents a paradigm shift away from the conventional Journal system. This will bring it friends & enemies - analogous to the Windows-Linux debate. Only time will tell which way things move.

momentum_waves said:
I was a little shocked, to be honest, by many of the other posts - you had actually provided suggestions & were helpful within your reference frame. The OP was looking for a sponsor - which seemed to be a simple request. The rest of the thread then seemed like a battle-ground between posters for & against such formats as arXiv.
The thread is but two pages long.

I see no "battle-ground" -- advice, when given, is constructive. With the general opinion of not asking for "sponsers" on a bb.

The pros/cons of arXiv is one of those regular topics on PF.

momentum_waves said:
Fair enough comments. I apologise if I seemed a little confrontational.

My personal view is that arXiv & its fellows, present an alternative medium & way forward. In many ways it represents a paradigm shift away from the conventional Journal system. This will bring it friends & enemies - analogous to the Windows-Linux debate. Only time will tell which way things move.

Actually, ArXiv has had to change from the way it was conceived and implement the endorsement system because it was getting to many crap. Even now, it has outright rejected flat out crackpottery, even though a few get through - some of us had to alert the admin over there on some of the these stuff.

While manuscripts appearing on ArXiv are actively used in field of studies such as high energy physics and string/etc., for formal academic and funding purposes, these are still not counted on highly. You still need to use peer-reviewed citations, especially if you want a promotion, get tenure, or want that pot of money from a funding agency. Even in high energy physics, these Arxiv papers that have been actively cited eventually end up in published somewhere. Their appearance on ArXiv bridges the gap between it being "completed" and being published.

So no, I do not see ArXiv as replacing peer-reviewed journals. It has its place and purpose, but I do not see it being a replacement.

Zz.

1. What is an Arxiv endorsement?

An Arxiv endorsement is a certification from the Arxiv organization that allows you to submit your paper for preprinting on their website. It serves as a validation of your research and ensures that your paper meets the standards of the Arxiv community.

2. Why do I need an Arxiv endorsement for preprinting my paper?

Arxiv endorsements are required for preprinting papers because they help maintain the quality and credibility of the papers on the Arxiv website. The endorsement process involves a thorough review of your paper by experts in your field, which can help improve the overall quality of your research.

3. How do I get an Arxiv endorsement?

To get an Arxiv endorsement, you need to have an Arxiv account and submit your paper for endorsement through their website. The process involves filling out a form and providing information about your paper and your qualifications as a researcher. Once submitted, your paper will be reviewed by experts in your field, and if approved, you will receive an endorsement to submit your paper for preprinting.

4. Is an Arxiv endorsement necessary for all fields of research?

No, an Arxiv endorsement is not necessary for all fields of research. It is primarily used in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, and quantitative biology. However, it is becoming increasingly popular in other fields as well.

5. Can I submit my paper for preprinting without an Arxiv endorsement?

No, you cannot submit your paper for preprinting on the Arxiv website without an endorsement. However, there are alternative preprint servers available that do not require an endorsement, such as bioRxiv and ChemRxiv. It is always a good idea to check the requirements of the preprint server you are interested in before submitting your paper.