Superposition of two waves and infinitely many waves?

In summary, wave packets are non-periodic waveforms generated by superimposing waves of slightly different frequencies. The term "wave packet" is typically used for non-periodic waveforms. A single peak wave packet can be produced by using a continuum of frequencies rather than a series of discrete frequencies. Increasing the range of frequencies will result in a narrower temporal width of the wave packet, due to the uncertainty principle.
hanson
Hi. I am struggling with wave packets.
I know wave packets are generated when two or more waves of slightly different frequencies are superposed together.
When considering only two or finite number of waves superposed together, the resulted wave shall be still periodic? I mean the "peak" of wave packet will actually repeat itself periodically, right? Just see the superposition of two sine waves of slightly different frequencies.

But are wave packets referred in nonlinear schrodinger equation correspond to "non-periodic" wave packets? I mean, the wave packet shall have just ONE single peak?

How do we produce that ONE single peak wave packet? Is it realistic in nature?
I am guessing that we will have ONE single peak wave packet as long as we have infinitely many waves superposed together (rather than finite number of waves). Is this the sufficient condition for having "one peak wave packet"?

Let's say I superpose waves of frequencies from 2Hz to 3Hz, there will be infinitely many waves. If the range of frequency is now 2Hz to 2.000001Hz, there will be still infinitely many waves, right? So, are they going to produce "one peak wave packet" anyway?

Please kindly help. THANKS.

Science news on Phys.org
hanson said:
Hi. I am struggling with wave packets.
I know wave packets are generated when two or more waves of slightly different frequencies are superposed together.
When considering only two or finite number of waves superposed together, the resulted wave shall be still periodic? I mean the "peak" of wave packet will actually repeat itself periodically, right? Just see the superposition of two sine waves of slightly different frequencies.
Yes, if the number of frequency components is finite, then the resultant wave will still be periodic.
hanson said:
But are wave packets referred in nonlinear schrodinger equation correspond to "non-periodic" wave packets? I mean, the wave packet shall have just ONE single peak?
The term "Wave-packet" usually refers to non-periodic waveforms.
hanson said:
How do we produce that ONE single peak wave packet? Is it realistic in nature? I am guessing that we will have ONE single peak wave packet as long as we have infinitely many waves superposed together (rather than finite number of waves). Is this the sufficient condition for having "one peak wave packet"?
A single peak is produced by using a continuum of frequencies rather than a series of discrete frequencies
hanson said:
Let's say I superpose waves of frequencies from 2Hz to 3Hz, there will be infinitely many waves. If the range of frequency is now 2Hz to 2.000001Hz, there will be still infinitely many waves, right? So, are they going to produce "one peak wave packet" anyway?
Yes, this is correct. The effect of increasing the range of frequencies is to reduce the temporal width of the wave-packet. It is a manifestation of the uncertainty principle because the spectral and temporal widths are inversely dependent on one another, and their product can never go below a certain amount.
hanson said:
Please kindly help. THANKS.
You're welcome.

Claude.

The (nonlinear) Gaussian (one packet) wavefunction is given by the equation:

S(x,t)/A=exp(-(x-x0)2/4a2) exp(ip0x/h) exp(-iw0t)

Where S is Psi, h is Planck's constant divided by 2(pi), and w is omega

1. What is superposition of two waves?

The superposition of two waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves meet and combine to form a new wave. This new wave is the sum of the amplitudes of the two original waves at each point in space.

2. How is the superposition of two waves different from interference?

In the superposition of two waves, the original waves are not altered or changed in any way. They simply combine to form a new wave. In interference, however, the original waves interact with each other and can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in a change in the overall amplitude of the wave.

3. Can the superposition of two waves result in a wave with zero amplitude?

Yes, the superposition of two waves can result in a wave with zero amplitude. This occurs when the two original waves have equal amplitude but are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, causing them to cancel each other out completely.

4. How does the superposition of infinitely many waves differ from the superposition of two waves?

In the superposition of infinitely many waves, an infinite number of waves with different amplitudes, frequencies, and phases are combined to form a new wave. This is in contrast to the superposition of two waves, where only two waves are combined.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the superposition of two waves and infinitely many waves?

The understanding of superposition of waves is essential in fields such as sound engineering, optics, and radio communication. By manipulating the superposition of waves, it is possible to create constructive or destructive interference, which can be used to enhance or cancel certain frequencies, respectively. This is also the basis for technologies such as noise-cancelling headphones and radio antennas.