Introduction to Unix/Linux | Book Recommendations

• Thread starter scothoward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro
In summary, the recommended approach for someone looking for an introductory book on Linux/Unix is to obtain a suitable live CD and install Linux on their hard drive. They should also obtain books on Unix power tools and shell scripts, and read actively through them. Additionally, they should get a live CD with Knoppix and the book Knoppix Hacks to learn how to fix ailing Windows computers. This approach will allow them to appreciate the various tools and applications created for Unix, while also being able to use modern applications and have access to Linux forums for assistance. The cost of this plan is relatively low, as live CDs are often free and the only expense would be for the recommended books.
scothoward
Hey, I am looking for a really good introductory book into Linux/Unix. I have been a Windows user since I first starting using a computer and all the online resources I have read on Unix have confused me in a way. Any book recomendations?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest this:

1. Obtain a suitable live CD and install linux on all or part of your hard drive (Ubuntu and Mepis are two popular and quite similar variants of linux which many Windows converts seem to like).

2. Obtain a copy of Powers et al., Unix Power Tools, and some book on shell scripts, and read actively through these books. (In lieu of a second book you can try to get by reading tutorials in various linux magazines.)

3. Obtain a live CD with Knoppix and the book Knoppix Hacks, and learn how to fix an ailing Windows box, etc., etc.

Rationale: you can't appreciate unix unless you know a bit about some of the great things which were created in/for unix: the shell, C, awk, vi, perl, etc. And you can't appreciate the shell unless you've written a few handy bash scripts with a few "pipes and seds", etc.

At the same time, since you have a modern linux installation, you can use currently popular applications like K3b (CD burning), synaptic or kpackage or ... (package management), skype (phone), etc. Also, you can play with fun educational games like kstars (planetarium), and so on. Depending upon what distribution (version) of linux (technically, a distribution is a "bundle" of linux itself plus a C compiler, other fundamental applications, a firewall, and all those handly desktop applications), you can use the appropriate linux forum to ask specific questions.

After a few months you can start learning about LAMP, security, clusters, audio/multimedia, or whatever special topics interest you.

I note that you can get live CD's for free, or almost free, so the cost of this plan is pretty much the cost of the two books.

I suggest moving this thread to the "Computers" forum.

Last edited:

1. What is Unix/Linux and why should I learn about it?

Unix/Linux is an operating system commonly used in computer science and engineering fields. It is highly customizable, secure, and efficient, making it a popular choice for servers and other computing systems. Learning Unix/Linux can help you develop a better understanding of how computer systems work and improve your technical skills.

2. What are some recommended books for learning about Unix/Linux?

Some popular books for learning about Unix/Linux include "The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction" by William E. Shotts Jr., "Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook" by Evi Nemeth, "Learning the Bash Shell" by Cameron Newham, and "Linux Pocket Guide" by Daniel J. Barrett. These books cover various aspects of Unix/Linux, from basic commands to system administration.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about Unix/Linux?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Unix/Linux, such as tutorials, forums, and documentation. Some popular websites include Linux.com, Linux.org, and LinuxQuestions.org. You can also find video tutorials on platforms like YouTube and Udemy.

4. Is prior programming experience necessary for learning Unix/Linux?

Prior programming experience is not necessary, but it can be helpful. Unix/Linux uses a command-line interface, so having some understanding of programming concepts can make it easier to learn and use. However, there are also resources and books specifically designed for beginners with no programming experience.

5. Can I use Unix/Linux on my personal computer?

Yes, you can use Unix/Linux on your personal computer. There are many distributions of Unix/Linux, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian, that are free and can be installed on most computers. However, it is recommended to first try it out on a virtual machine or dual-boot system before fully switching to Unix/Linux.