Why do I find engineering math textbooks much more understandable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness and usefulness of different types of math textbooks, specifically in the fields of engineering and mathematics. The participants express their opinions on various books, with some finding engineering textbooks to be more understandable and others preferring more rigorous mathematical methods books. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding versus simply memorizing information from textbooks.
zergju
In many of the topics in math i hav learned so far, i just found that engin textbooks such as <advanced engin math> are much more understandable and yet covering similar depth of contents than mathematic methods book such as aftken&weber which my teacher choose as reference book for e course.
I think the latter is of so much worthless words that only makes the topic harder but not its usability.. Any way why learn anything that's not useful if I'm not a math major?

Does that mean I'm not suitable for science studies such as the physics major I'm taking now?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have that too. Interesting question.

You think arfken and webber is overly verbose?

They hardly explain anything. The only way to learn from that book is to do problems IMO.

Different books [styles, content, motivations, etc... ] appeal to different people [possibly, at different times in their lives]. So it depends on what you are after. Some would regard all of these "engineering math" and "math methods" books as "cookbooks" mainly useful for looking things up. For an "end-user", they might be sufficient... but for real understanding, one needs to go beyond these types of books.

Norman said:
You think arfken and webber is overly verbose?

They hardly explain anything. The only way to learn from that book is to do problems IMO.

yrp, i think a&w is merely a summary style text.. i can hardly learn anything from it no matter how hard i tried.. i am beginning to regret buying it..

anyway i think boas did a better job in explaining.. but boas spent too much words of explaining while simple words can do the same..

i kind liked wiley.. anybody read that book before? i think its the most engin style book i hav read.. liked it very much..

Echoing what robphy said, Engineering books lack proper mathematical rigor ={ Which may be why they are easier to understand sometimes, because too much rigor can cloud intuition. I've seen many times when a simple relation that can be shown easily by some algebraic manipulation, has to go through a long induction proof to prove formally. To get the best of both worlds, cross reference both books, bringing understanding to rigor is the best thing a student can have.

I think non-rigorous approach is good for developing intuition, but sometimes it just confuses people. May be the best is to read non-rigorous text until the point you feel confused and then read rigorous text to clarify things. It is like difference between proofs in physics and proofs in math.

1. Why is engineering math more understandable to me than other types of math?

Engineering math is typically more focused on practical applications and real-world problems, which can make it more relatable and easier to understand for some individuals. Additionally, engineering math often involves using equations and formulas to solve specific problems, rather than abstract concepts, which can also make it more approachable.

2. Are there any specific strategies for understanding engineering math?

One helpful strategy for understanding engineering math is to focus on understanding the underlying concepts and principles, rather than just memorizing formulas. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to practice regularly.

3. How does engineering math differ from other types of math?

Engineering math is typically more applied and practical in nature, while other types of math may be more theoretical. Additionally, engineering math often involves a combination of mathematical concepts and principles from multiple disciplines, such as physics and calculus.

4. Can anyone learn to understand engineering math?

Yes, anyone can learn to understand engineering math with dedication and practice. While some individuals may have a natural aptitude for math, it is ultimately a skill that can be developed and improved upon with effort.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me understand engineering math better?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help individuals understand engineering math, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept or problem.