Hooks and pulleys (torque and force)

In summary, the tension in the two strings is the same, so the net reaction on the pulley is T_1 + T_2.
Niles
[SOLVED] Hooks and pulleys (torque and force)

Homework Statement

Two weights are connected by a very light flexible cord that passes over a 50.0N frictionless pulley of radius .300m. The pulley is a solid uniform disk and is supported by a hook connected to the ceiling. What force does the hook exert on the ceiling. The weight on the left is 75.0N, and the weight on the right is 125N.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the acceleration of the entire system, but I can't see how this would change the weight of the entire system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start by finding the tensions in both parts of the string? Are they equal in magnitude?

No, they are are not - else the system wouldn't accelerate. But still, what do I do when I've found the tensions, the acc. and all?

Niles said:
No, they are are not - else the system wouldn't accelerate. But still, what do I do when I've found the tensions, the acc. and all?

Then we can calculate the reaction on the pulley. But first answer the question we've asked.

Last edited:
Ok, the torque on the pulley is:

(T_2-T_1) * R = ½ * M * R * a (T_2 is tension for heavy block, T_1 tension for small block and a is linear acceleration of blocks and pulley)

For heavy block: m_h * a = m_h * g - T_2

For small block: m_s * a = T_1 - m_s*g

The tension for small block is: T_1 = m_h*(a-g) + ½*m_pulley*a

The tension for heavy block is: T_2 = m_s(a+g) + ½*m_pulley*a.

From here, what do I do?

Btw, I get that T_1 = 91,67 N, T_2 = 97,22 N and the acc. is 2,18 m/s^2

In a massless string, which does not have any frictional force acting on it, the tension is constant through out its length. So, there is only one tension T.

For the 75 N weight, whose mass I'll call m1, and which is going up, m1a = T - m1g.

Find a similar eqn for m2.

Then find T.

The pulley has two strings hanging from it, and the tension in both is T. What will be the net reaction on the pulley?

What? The tension is the same?! How does the pulley accelerate then? And in my book they operate with two tensions.

Last edited:
Why should the pulley accelerate? The chord just slips over it.

I'm not sure about that. The pulley has an angular acceleration.

Then rewrite the original problem clearly.

The problem statement is as I wrote in the first post beginning. It's for an "Advanced Classical Mechanics"-course, so we have to operate with angular acceleration of pulley, torque and all that..

Is that your logic for including angular accn of the pulley, in a situation where it possibly cannot have any?

Follow the method I've outlined in post no.7, and find the value of T.

I've found T = 93,75 N.

But still, since the two blocks are acc., then surely the pulley must have an ang. acc. as well?

Please tell me why the pulley must have angular accn?

First I want to thank you, because you showed me that the net force on the ceiling is T_1 + T_2 + weight of pulley.

Second, since the two blocks are accelerating, the string is accelerating and the string turns the pulley - hence the pulley must have an angular acceleration.

This method gave me the correct answer, which is 239 N; T_1 + T_2 + weight, pulley = 239 N.

Again, thank you.

Last edited:
Hold on a sec here. In your 1st post, you have written that it's a frictionless pulley, and confirmed it later when I asked you! If there is friction between string and pulley, T1 and T2 would be different, and the pulley will definitely undergo ang accn.

If you had been a bit more careful, we'd solved it long ago. Anyway, better late than never.

When you said frictionless, I thought you meant that there is no friction between the pulley and it's axis of rotation - I didn't think you meant the string and the pulley. But still, we solved it and I will be more careful next time.

That's all right. In fact, you did the problem completely by yourself because of the misunderstanding. Next time, formulate problems carefully.

1. What is the purpose of a hook in a pulley system?

A hook in a pulley system is used to prevent the rope or cable from slipping off the pulley, ensuring that the load stays securely attached and can be lifted or moved efficiently.

2. How does a pulley system use torque and force?

A pulley system uses torque and force to make it easier to lift or move heavy objects. When force is applied to one end of the rope or cable, the pulley redirects that force to the other end, creating a mechanical advantage and reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley has a stationary axle and only changes the direction of the force applied, while a movable pulley has a moving axle and can provide a mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the load weight by the force needed to lift it. For example, if a pulley system can lift a 100-pound load with only 25 pounds of force, the mechanical advantage would be 4 (100/25).

5. What are some common uses for pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in a variety of applications, including elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also commonly used in rock climbing and sailing to lift and move heavy objects. In everyday life, pulleys can be found in simple machines such as clotheslines and window blinds.