Can Two Black Holes Really Collide, Even If They Were Once Stars?

In summary, according to the article, a black hole is created when a star dies. The black hole has a mass equal to the mass of the star that it was created from. The black hole is said to have been around since the beginning of time. However, there is a chance for black hole merger within local groups of galaxies. If this happens, it is possible to see the aftermath of the merger.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
For this to happen there must have been two stars that went super nova in close
proximity, if so i find hard to think that a star would survive a very close companion going nova, so how do the two black holes get close enough to collide?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any two objects flying around in space could pass near each other and mutual gravity could alter their paths enough for them to collide.

mathman said:
Any two objects flying around in space could pass near each other and mutual gravity could alter their paths enough for them to collide.

Thats a lot of could s how many black holes are there floating around.

wolram said:
Thats a lot of could s how many black holes are there floating around.

There's quite a few, centers of certain galaxies included.

I'm sure this phenomenon that you talk about originally has happened at some point in the history of our universe, given the sheer number of stars that we know of that have died and black holes that we know of (not to mention the countless ones we don't know of), and my guess on this matter (and it is a guess, since we have no idea what happens to something when it hits the singularity of a black hole) is that the masses of the black holes combine to create a bigger one.

We are supposed to be living in an expanding universe so i guess the only chance for black hole merger is within local groups of galaxies, has a merged galaxy been observed that exhibit the behavior of having two massive black holes in it.

wolram said:
For this to happen there must have been two stars that went super nova in close
proximity, if so i find hard to think that a star would survive a very close companion going nova, so how do the two black holes get close enough to collide?

Why not? I think another star, especially one that is big enough to make a black hole would have enough mass to hold itself together near a supernova.

Oj287

wolram said:
We are supposed to be living in an expanding universe so i guess the only chance for black hole merger is within local groups of galaxies, has a merged galaxy been observed that exhibit the behavior of having two massive black holes in it.

Yes, at least one such is known. It's called OJ287.
There was more info released at the recent AAS meeting.
Here's a BBC link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7181877.stm

Jim Graber

The BH is equal to 18 billion suns? has this BH been stoked since time began?

1. How do black holes collide?

Black holes collide when two massive objects, such as stars, orbit each other and eventually get close enough that they merge into one larger black hole. This can also happen when two existing black holes orbit each other and merge due to their gravitational pull.

2. What happens when black holes collide?

When black holes collide, they release a tremendous amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves. These waves spread out through space and can be detected by specialized instruments on Earth.

3. Can we observe the collision of two black holes?

Yes, we can observe the collision of two black holes through the detection of gravitational waves. These waves can be detected by instruments like the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and the Virgo interferometer.

4. How do black hole collisions contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The collision of two black holes provides evidence for the existence of black holes and helps us understand how they behave and interact with each other. It also confirms Einstein's theory of general relativity, which predicted the existence of gravitational waves.

5. Can black hole collisions pose a threat to Earth?

No, black hole collisions are extremely rare and occur in distant parts of the universe. The gravitational waves they produce are very weak by the time they reach Earth and do not pose any danger to our planet.