Undergrad Physics Program: Good, Bad, or Neither? Temple Univ. Rank

• Thread starter glennpagano44
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of a large or small faculty in an undergraduate physics program. The participant shares their preference for a small faculty and the benefits of close interaction with professors. They also mention the University of Washington's large faculty and their positive experience with interaction. The conversation also includes a request for ranking schools for an undergraduate physics degree, with Penn State being recommended as the best option. The participant also mentions considering other schools, including the University of Pennsylvania, but expresses doubt about being accepted. The conversation ends with another participant mentioning Penn State's well-respected physics department and Drexel's strong engineering program.
glennpagano44
I was wondering if a large or small faculty for a undergrad physics program is either good, bad or neither. I am also wondering how the undergrad physics program at Temple University in Philadelphia is.

Can you please rank these schools best to worst for a undergrad physics degree
1)Bloomsburg
2)Albright
3)Widener
4)Drexel
5)PSU
6)Temple

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Small faculty -> fewer course offerings.
Large faculty -> who are you again?

Offhand, I think I'd prefer a large faculty, but that's probably because I'm studying at a university with a small faculty...

I like having a relatively small faculty. All the undergrads are close, and you can get close to the profs, interact and hang out. You aren't just a number and I think that is a much better experience.

Ummm... could someone shed some perspective here? I go to the University of Washington; here is my school's faculty listing for physics:

http://www.phys.washington.edu/directory?faculty

Not all of them teach, mind you. Anyway, it looks fairly large to me, and my professors know me. I am doing research for one right now, did research for another last year, and the profs from last year recognize me, and my current profs have spoken to me on several occasions and definitely remember me.

It's all a matter of how much you want to interact with them. I don't hesitate to ask them questions after class or in their office or something. I sit in the front of class and participate (when I'm not asleep... :frown: ). It's pretty simple.

Yea Poop I agree I think that your faculty is pretty large. Again if you have any knowledge on the schools I am applying please rank them. What size faculty is 2 small. I believe albright has 2 full time proffesors and they bring others from other univesitys. Is this too small

glennpagano44 said:
Can you please rank these schools best to worst for a undergrad physics degree
1)Bloomsburg
2)Albright
3)Widener
4)Drexel
5)PSU
6)Temple

From my very limited knowledge (having grown up in the Philly area), I can tell you that Penn State is the best school on your list for physics. Temple and Drexel are decent local schools, but I don't know how their physics programs are. I don't know anything about the others.

Have you considered U Penn?

Yea I have considered U Penn but my I am pretty sure that I will not be able to get in.

anyone

Penn State has a well respected Physics department (and Beaver Stadium on a fall Saturday is a real college thrill). Drexel is an outstanding engineering school, but I'm not sure about their Physics. My choice would be PSU.

1. Is Temple University's undergraduate physics program considered good?

Temple University's undergraduate physics program is generally considered to be good. It is ranked in the top 50 physics programs in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.

2. What are some strengths of the undergraduate physics program at Temple University?

Some strengths of Temple University's undergraduate physics program include a strong faculty, research opportunities for students, and a wide range of courses offered in various subfields of physics.

3. Are there any notable weaknesses of the undergraduate physics program at Temple University?

Some potential weaknesses of Temple University's undergraduate physics program include a high workload and a competitive environment, which may be challenging for some students.

4. How does Temple University's undergraduate physics program compare to other universities?

Temple University's undergraduate physics program is ranked in the top 50 by U.S. News & World Report, putting it in the same tier as other well-regarded universities such as the University of California, Davis and the University of Colorado, Boulder.

5. Is it worth attending Temple University for their undergraduate physics program?

This ultimately depends on the individual student's goals and preferences. Temple University's undergraduate physics program offers a solid education and potential for research opportunities, but it may not be the best fit for every student. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of the program before making a decision.