Projection of intersection line

In summary, you replaced z in the first equation by the left side of the second equation to get z= 4- x^2- y^2= 4-1/(4y)+ y^2. You then projected z= 0 to get y^2- 1/(4y)+ 4= 0. You then looked for the tangent vector to that curve and found that it was tangent to the curve at the point S and had a derivative of z= 4- x^2- y^2 in the direction of the vector tangent to that point.
kasse

Homework Statement

Find the projection of the intersection between the two surfaces

S1: z = 4-x^2 - y^2 and
S2: 4x^2y = 1 (x>0)

in the xy-plane

2. The attempt at a solution

4-x^2 - y^2 = 4x^2y -1

Is this all I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
kasse said:
Is this all I need to do?
What is it that you did?

Equalised the equations, with z = 0.

kasse said:
Equaled the equations, with z = 0.
(You can't set two equations equal... but I think I know what you meant)
(And you were looking for a geometric object, not an equation... but I assume you meant to say the object described by that equation)

Does that process have anything to do with finding the intersection of the two surfaces? Or with projecting that intersection to the x-y plane? If so, then you're done. If not, then you're not.

The problem is:

How steep is the path C (the intersection between the curves) at the point S over the (1, 1/4)?

My plan is to find the directional derivative in the direction of the tangent of the projection of C in the xy-plane. What do I do next then?

What you did initially was replace z in the first equation by the left side of the second equation. But there is no "z" in the second equation- in particular, it was NOT z= 4x^2y
Since 1= 4x^2y, x^2= 1/(4y). Replacing x^2 by that in the first equation, z= 4- x^2- y^2= 4- 1/(4y)+ y^2. Now project by letting z= 0: y^2- 1/(4y)+ 4= 0.

However, there really is no reason to project to the xy-plane. What you want is the derivative of z= 4- x^2- y^2 in the direction of the tangent to the curve x^2y= 1 in the xy-plane. What is the tangent vector to that curve? What is the derivative of z in the direction of that vector?

1. What is projection of intersection line?

Projection of intersection line is a technique used in geometry to project the intersection of two planes or surfaces onto a third plane. It is often used in engineering and architecture to determine the location of objects in 3D space.

2. How is projection of intersection line calculated?

The projection of intersection line is calculated by finding the point of intersection between the two planes or surfaces and then projecting this point onto the third plane using the principles of orthographic projection.

3. What is the purpose of projection of intersection line?

The purpose of projection of intersection line is to accurately determine the location of objects in 3D space. It is also used in various applications such as computer graphics and 3D modeling to create realistic images and animations.

4. What are some real-world examples of using projection of intersection line?

Some real-world examples of using projection of intersection line include determining the location of objects in 3D space for construction projects, creating 3D models and animations for movies and video games, and calculating the trajectory of objects in physics and engineering.

5. What are the limitations of projection of intersection line?

One limitation of projection of intersection line is that it only works for two intersecting planes or surfaces. It cannot be used for more complex shapes or objects. Additionally, the accuracy of the projection depends on the accuracy of the initial measurements and calculations.