Undergraduate in Physics (need advice)

In summary: I'm really happy to find a forum like this, as I've spent a lot of time reading the career and academic guidance section and have realized I have a lot of questions myself. I'm a 20 year old undergraduate student at Mcgill university majoring in physics, and I've completed my U1. My main problem is my low GPA, which is currently at 2.03. I really love physics and want to pursue my studies in thermodynamics, but I'm unsure about my future. I've also asked about how undergraduate article publications work and whether I should study by myself or work with a professor. It's going to be hard work from here on out, and I will need to improve academically if I want
Machete_B
Hello guys!

Well, where to start? First I want to say that I'm really happy to find a forum like this, I've spend like 2 hours reading the career and academic guidance section, and I realized that I have a lot of questions myself.

Before I start I apologize for my future grammatical mistakes, I spend 12 years of my life in french school and I learned English recently.

So here is my story. As mentioned in the title, I'm a 20 year old undergraduate student at Mcgill university. I'm doing a major in physics, and I have completed my U1. I'm taking 4 courses per session so I plan to finish it in 4 years (the whole B.Sc).

The main problem, and the reason why I need some advice, is my GPA (grades).

I was at 2.2/4 after my first year, which is not outstanding, I know. Things got better with some B+, and then I failed my first course in U2 (Math course), and now I'm at 2.03. I went to see the advisor and he told me that I can still continue, and that I need to take some «easy» courses (200 level, general interest physics courses).

Hopefully my GPA will go above 3.0 by the end of my B.Sc.

I really, really, really love physics. Otherwise I would have switched to something «easier» after my first term (got 4 C+ :/)

My dream would be to pursue my studies in Thermodynamics, and work in an Aerospace field (or maybe astrophysics?) as a physicist.

Maybe I need a reality check, I don't know, it's kinda crazy to go head on in a field and be SO uncertain about your future, but physicists are crazy, right? So continue, switch? What do you think?And as my second request, I wanted to know how undergrad article publication works, do I have to study by myself and try to develop a mini-idea, since undergrad level courses are too general? Expose the work to a professor and go see him like once per week to talk about the subject? Maybe it's a stupid question but I'm curious!

That's it...it was shorter than what I've expected, thank you for reading it and thanks for your time!

P.S : I've made another thread in the Career section, if you want to answer there too I'll thank you even more :D.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1940778#post1940778

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're really the only one who can decide which direction you want to go in. In all honesty, the course work is only going to get harder. I'm suprised your advisor's (only?) advice was to take some easier courses. Your marks will need to improve if you want to have a shot at graduate school, so the real question is what can you do to improve academically.

Is this merely a question of improving study habits? Or are you more in love with the idea of being a physicist as opposed to doing physics? Or are you starting to discover that you really have other, stronger passions that distract you from your current line of study - suggesting that perhaps you should switch majors? Or are you just hoping to explore other options as you're not sure what you want right now?

As for undergraduate papers - it's very difficult for an undergrad to produce work suitable for an academic journal alone. The best way to go about this is to look for opportunities with professors who are working in the fields you're interested in. They can act as guides and mentors, and help you develop the skill sets needed to produce original research.

It's definitely going to be hard work from here on out. Most grad schools require a minimum GPA of 3.0 to apply, and you can only get that by getting all A's from now on - and the intro courses are the easy ones, not the advanced ones. However, a substantial improvement along with some research background might give you a shot at a grad program.

While working on your own and coming up with something that can be published in a peer-reviewed journal probably isn't feasible at this point, you can try getting a job working with one your profs on their research (I suggest doing this during the summer, so as to not detract from your coursework). Summer research experiences have lead to posters, conference proceedings, even papers for undergrads. Or you could see if your college has an undergrad research journal - that will have much lower standards for publication.

In terms of undergraduate research, since you're going to school in Canada I would recommend looking into NSERC awards for the summer. The applications are usually due in January-ish, but it's something to keep in mind.

Choppy said:
Well, you're really the only one who can decide which direction you want to go in. In all honesty, the course work is only going to get harder. I'm suprised your advisor's (only?) advice was to take some easier courses. Your marks will need to improve if you want to have a shot at graduate school, so the real question is what can you do to improve academically.

Is this merely a question of improving study habits? Or are you more in love with the idea of being a physicist as opposed to doing physics? Or are you starting to discover that you really have other, stronger passions that distract you from your current line of study - suggesting that perhaps you should switch majors? Or are you just hoping to explore other options as you're not sure what you want right now?

As for undergraduate papers - it's very difficult for an undergrad to produce work suitable for an academic journal alone. The best way to go about this is to look for opportunities with professors who are working in the fields you're interested in. They can act as guides and mentors, and help you develop the skill sets needed to produce original research.

First of all, thank you all for you answers.

Yes, I know that all I need from now on it is only A's, with few B's. I'm trying my best to achieve it, and to answer your question, it's more the love of physics rather than just the idea to be a physicist. Let's say it doesn't get better, what would my options be ? Just switch right now to a different program? Or finish the major with whatever grades, so I will have my major in physics (it should count as a plus, right?)

What do you think is the most reasonable choice ?

What is the typical course load for an undergraduate in physics?

The typical course load for an undergraduate in physics varies depending on the institution and the student's academic goals. However, most undergraduate physics programs require students to take around 12-15 credit hours per semester for a total of 120-130 credit hours for graduation. This usually includes a mix of physics courses, math courses, and general education requirements.

What types of research opportunities are available for undergraduate physics students?

Undergraduate physics students have a variety of research opportunities available to them, both on and off campus. Many universities offer research positions within their physics department, where students can work with faculty members on ongoing projects. Additionally, there are often summer research programs at national laboratories or other institutions that provide valuable research experience for undergraduate students.

What can I do with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, engineering, or other related disciplines. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained through a physics degree are highly valued in many industries.

What are some important skills for success in an undergraduate physics program?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and science, successful undergraduate physics students possess critical thinking skills, strong problem-solving abilities, and a curiosity for understanding the world around them. It is also important to have good time management and study skills to keep up with the rigorous coursework.

What resources are available for undergraduate physics students seeking academic advice?

Most universities have academic advisors specifically for students in the physics department. These advisors can provide guidance on course selection, research opportunities, and career planning. Additionally, students can reach out to their professors or join physics clubs and organizations for support and advice. Many universities also have tutoring centers or study groups available to help students with challenging coursework.