Undergraduate in Physics (need advice)

In summary, a major in physics with a minor in electrical engineering can be beneficial for a career in aerospace engineering. It is also recommended to consider switching to engineering if you have a strong interest in it and can cut it.
Machete_B
Hello everyone!

Here is a short (?) introduction of myself, by myself :

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1940774#post1940774

So I'm currently doing a Major in physics, I'm having a hard time right now but hopefully I will be successful.

Here are my questions :

Will a minor in electrical engineering help me somehow in my future jobs ? (I'm interested in Aerospatial)

Let's say I finish my major, and I see that there is no way that I could continue grad studies, do you think that changing to engineering afterward will be a waste of time? I'm going to spend around 3 years doing the major, I know I'm still young (20) and I can afford these kinds of waste of time, but I don't want to study for the next 20 years neither.

And my last question : Will I have a advantage (from an employer point of view) over another engineer if I have both the engineering and physics degree?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My personal advice to you is to concentrate on your engineering, which is after all, applied physics. I think you will have more career opportunities in that area rather than just physics, and better careers to choose from (better paid, better career advancement). You can carry on with pure physics as a hobby later on if you wish, but if you can cut the mustard, engineering is a better career choice.

Thank you for your advice!

Do think It's better to switch right in the middle of the major or at least finish it ?

If I switch now I have a minor in physics.

Thanks again,
Machete

If it makes you happier, go ahead and switch. The only time I'd say suck it up and finish it is if you only have one or two semesters to go and switching would set you back two years.

1. What jobs or career paths are available with an undergraduate degree in Physics?

With an undergraduate degree in Physics, you can pursue a variety of careers such as research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, or even work in the finance or technology sector.

2. Is an undergraduate degree in Physics difficult?

Yes, an undergraduate degree in Physics can be challenging as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable.

3. What skills do I need to be successful in an undergraduate Physics program?

To be successful in an undergraduate Physics program, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, an aptitude for experimentation and data analysis, and a passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree in a different field after completing an undergraduate degree in Physics?

Yes, many students with an undergraduate degree in Physics go on to pursue graduate degrees in fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, or even law. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained in a Physics program are highly transferable to other fields.

5. What opportunities are available for undergraduate Physics students to gain practical experience?

Undergraduate Physics students have opportunities to gain practical experience through laboratory work, research projects, internships, and co-op programs. These experiences not only enhance your understanding of Physics concepts but also provide valuable skills and experience for future career opportunities.