Solving Rotational Kinematics: Moment of Inertia & Energy

In summary, we have a uniform disk with a mass of 4.9 kg and radius of 0.26 m, with a small block of 2.6 kg located on its rim. The disk rotates at an angular velocity of 4.2 rad/s around an axis located 0.15 m from its center. The moment of inertia for the block about the rotation axis is 0.03146 kg*m^2. The moment of inertia for the disk about the rotation axis can be found using the parallel axis theorem, where I = 1/2MR^2. To find the center of mass, we can use the formula Icom = 1/2MR^2. The system's energy when
Awwnutz
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9499/diskwithblockpu2.gif

A uniform disk of mass Mdisk = 4.9 kg and radius R = 0.26 m has a small block of mass mblock = 2.6 kg on its rim. The disk rotates about an axis a distance d = 0.15 m from its center that intersects the disk along the radius on which the block is situated.

a) What is the moment of inertia of the block about the rotation axis?

b) What is the moment of inertia of the disk about the rotation axis?

c) When the system is rotating about the axis with an angular velocity of 4.2 rad/s, what is its energy?

d) If while the system is rotating with angular velocity 4.2 rad/s it has an angular acceleration of 8.9 rad/s2, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

Rotational kinematics

My attempt at the solution is just a bunch of chicken scratch. I had no problem with linear kinematics and my teacher keeps telling us that this is no different between that and rotational kinematics, but for some reason I'm just getting confused. I know: position = theta, velocity = omega, acceleration = alpha, mass = I (center of mass), Force = torque.

I'm not exactly sure how to find the center of mass and then use Newton's second law to find alpha and omega. I might be making this harder than it really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
part a for I, i did:

Mblock*distance^2

2.6kg*(.26m-.15m)^2 = .03146kg*m^2, and this is correct.

for part b its is telling me to use the parallel axis theorem. I'm not too sure how to set it up. I know its the integral of a distance multiplied by the change in mass over a certain limit. But i don't know where to start.

The parallel axis theorem says:

I = Icom + Mass*Radius^2

So i have the mass of the disk, and the radius, how do i find the Icom?

Icom=1/2MR^2

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves concepts such as angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of an object, as well as the axis of rotation.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by summing up the products of each infinitesimal mass element and its square distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol I and has units of kg*m^2.

4. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational energy?

The moment of inertia of an object determines the amount of rotational energy it possesses. The higher the moment of inertia, the more energy is required to change its rotational motion.

5. How can the moment of inertia be used to solve rotational motion problems?

Knowing the moment of inertia of an object allows us to apply the laws of rotational motion and energy to solve problems involving rotational kinematics. It can also help us understand the stability and behavior of objects in rotational motion.