How can logarithms be used to simplify inverse hyperbolic functions?

• Thread starter The_ArtofScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses integrating a deceptive looking integrand and the use of inverse hyperbolic functions in the resulting answer. The method of integration by parts is mentioned, which leads to a solution with a logarithm and a tangent function. The use of inverse hyperbolic functions is not fully understood, but Wolfram's solution involves the artanh function, which can be written in terms of logarithms. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to play around with the logarithm to obtain the artanh function.
The_ArtofScience
This is not homework, but I'm just wondering, how do you integrate this deceptive looking integrand to get what Wolfram has?

I don't get why the answer has an inverse hyperbolic function. Please teach me!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int sec^3xdx = \int secx (sec^2x dx)[/tex]

Integration by parts and then use the identity [itex]sec^2x=tan^2x+1[/itex]

That method leads to (1/2)sec(x)tan(x) + (1/2)ln(sec(x) + tan(x)) + C. I am interested in getting an inverse hyperbolic function as displayed on Wolfram.

I do not know how inverse hyperbolic functions are related to integrals. The only success I've had was integrating sec(x) into 2tanh^-1(tan(x/2))

Maybe you should post what wolfram got?

Inverse hyperbolic functions can be written in terms of logarithms. In particular,

[tex]\operatorname{artanh}(x) = \frac{1}{2}\ln\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)[/tex]

So playing around with your logarithm you can probably get the artanh function they give out. (You may need to add a constant to your result to get to theirs).

1. What is the general formula for integrating sec^3(x)?

The general formula for integrating sec^3(x) is ∫sec^3(x) dx = 1/2 tan(x)sec(x) + 1/2 ln|sec(x) + tan(x)| + C.

2. What is the process for integrating sec^3(x)?

The process for integrating sec^3(x) involves using the substitution method. This involves substituting u = sec(x) and du = sec(x)tan(x) dx. After substitution, the integral becomes ∫u^3 du, which can be easily solved by using the power rule. Finally, the answer is converted back to x using the original substitution.

3. Can I use trigonometric identities to integrate sec^3(x)?

Yes, trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identity and double angle formulas can be used to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. For example, using the identity sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x), the integral can be rewritten as ∫sec(x)(1 + tan^2(x)) dx, which can then be solved by substitution.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating sec^3(x)?

Yes, if the integral contains an odd power of sec(x), it can be rewritten as sec(x)(sec^2(x))^n, where n is a positive integer. This can then be solved by using the substitution method, as mentioned in question 2. However, if the integral contains an even power of sec(x), it cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques.

5. How can I check if my answer to the integral of sec^3(x) is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating it. If the result is equal to the original function, then your answer is correct. Additionally, you can also use online integration calculators or graphing software to plot the original function and your answer, and see if they match.