Solving a system of linear equations

In summary, the homework asks for a description of parametrically two of the solutions to a system of equations.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find out if the following system of equation has solution. In case of having solutions, describe parametrically them all and give 2 of them explicitly.

2x-z=4
x-2y+2z=7
3x+2y=1

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't see nowhere in my notes what they want by "describe parametrically".
Anyway I've solved the system and it has only one solution : x=2, y=-5/2 and z=0.
As I just typed them, it is the explicit solution... I don't see how I could give 2 of them if there is only 1 solution. And much less parametrically.
Do you know what they mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

Homework Statement

Find out if the following system of equation has solution. In case of having solutions, describe parametrically them all and give 2 of them explicitly.

2x-z=4
x-2y+2z=7
3x+2y=1

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't see nowhere in my notes what they want by "describe parametrically".
Anyway I've solved the system and it has only one solution : x=2, y=-5/2 and z=0.
As I just typed them, it is the explicit solution... I don't see how I could give 2 of them if there is only 1 solution. And much less parametrically.
Do you know what they mean?

Your answer is the same as I got. I believe that the problem was asking was that if there were multiple solutions (which would then depend on one or two parameters), you should give two specific solutions. In this case, there is only one solution, and you have given it, so you're done.

Mark44 said:
Your answer is the same as I got. I believe that the problem was asking was that if there were multiple solutions (which would then depend on one or two parameters), you should give two specific solutions. In this case, there is only one solution, and you have given it, so you're done.
Ah ok! This is quite possible because there was more than one system of equations to solve.
Thank you.

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The solution to a system of linear equations is a set of values that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

The most common method for solving a system of linear equations is by using substitution or elimination. In substitution, one of the equations is solved for one of the variables and that value is substituted into the other equation. In elimination, one of the variables is eliminated by adding or subtracting the equations. The remaining equation can then be solved for the remaining variable.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinitely many, or no solutions. A system with one solution means that there is a unique set of values that satisfies all of the equations. A system with infinitely many solutions means that any point on the line of intersection between the equations is a solution. A system with no solution means that the lines of the equations are parallel and never intersect.

4. What is the importance of solving systems of linear equations?

Solving systems of linear equations is important in many fields, including mathematics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the relationship between two or more variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.

5. Can technology be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Yes, technology such as graphing calculators, computer software, and online solvers can be used to solve systems of linear equations. These tools can save time and reduce errors in solving complex systems. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for solving systems of linear equations before relying solely on technology.