Elastic collisions of a sliding block

In summary, the two blocks, with masses m1 and m2 = 0.69m1, collide on a frictionless floor with initial velocities of 3.6 m/s and 0 m/s respectively. After the collision, they slide into a region with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.39, and come to a stop. Using the elastic collision formula, the final velocities are found to be 0.6604 m/s and 4.260 m/s for block 1 and 2 respectively. To determine the distance traveled into the frictional region
intenzxboi
1. Homework Statement [/b]
Block 1, with mass m1 and speed 3.6 m/s, slides along an x-axis on a frictionless floor and then undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 2, with mass m2 = 0.69m1. The two blocks then slide into a region where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.39; there they stop. How far into that region do (a) block 1 and (b) block 2 slide?

I used the elastic collision formula and got v1f= .6604m/s and v2f=4.260 m/s

can i use conservation of ke?? to find mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
intenzxboi said:
1. Homework Statement [/b]
Block 1, with mass m1 and speed 3.6 m/s, slides along an x-axis on a frictionless floor and then undergoes a one-dimensional elastic collision with stationary block 2, with mass m2 = 0.69m1. The two blocks then slide into a region where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.39; there they stop. How far into that region do (a) block 1 and (b) block 2 slide?

I used the elastic collision formula and got v1f= .6604m/s and v2f=4.260 m/s

can i use conservation of ke?? to find mass?

You can determine the distance by observing the deceleration of the friction for each block and applying it to the velocity.

F = m*a = μ*m*g

a = μ*g

I can confirm that you can use the conservation of kinetic energy to find the mass of the blocks in this scenario. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same. Therefore, you can use the equation 1/2mv^2 to find the mass of the blocks by plugging in the final velocities obtained from the elastic collision formula. However, it is important to note that the mass of block 2 is already given as 0.69m1 in the problem statement. So, you can use this equation to verify your results or to cross-check your calculations. As for finding the distance the blocks slide, you can use the equations of motion and the given information about the coefficient of kinetic friction to calculate the distance traveled by each block. I hope this helps!

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is the velocity of a sliding block affected during an elastic collision?

During an elastic collision of a sliding block, the velocity of the block changes due to the impact of another object. However, the velocity of the block after the collision will be equal to its initial velocity before the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The direction and angle of impact also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

4. How can the coefficient of restitution be used to determine if a collision is elastic?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. If the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, the collision is considered to be perfectly elastic.

5. Can a collision be both elastic and inelastic?

No, a collision can only be either elastic or inelastic. In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the deformation of the objects involved.