Derivative of a sum of functions, also cubic graph roots

In summary, Derivative of a sum of functions is a subsection of Differentiation that involves finding the derivative of a sum of functions, such as ax2 + bx + c. It also covers tangents and normals to graphs, turning points, second order derivatives, maxima and minima, and increasing and decreasing functions. A second order derivative is the derivative of a derivative and is useful in finding turning points. When dealing with cubic equations, the process for finding real roots is different from quadratic equations and requires further investigation.
James...
Derivative of a sum of functions

What would you interperate this as?

It is one of the subsections of Differentiation from the syllabus of a University entrance Exam in November but I cannot think what it is referring to.

Differentiation: Derivative of xa, including for fractional exponents.
Derivative of a sum of functions. Tangents and normals to graphs. Turning
points. Second order derivatives. Maxima and minima. Increasing and
decreasing functions.

That is the whole section, also, what is a second order derivative? I have done both before as it is based on my first year in college which I have already done but I have never heard them referred to as that before so I am a bit unsure.

Also, I know when I have a quadratic equation, I can find how many real roots it has, but how would I go about finding this if the graph was a cubic as I cannot use the quadratic equation?

Thanks alot

James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi James! :smile:
James... said:
Differentiation: Derivative of xa, including for fractional exponents.
Derivative of a sum of functions …

The syllabus starts by defining derivatives of x, x2, x3, and so on, and then shows how to find th derivative of a sum like ax2 + bx + c. :wink:
… also, what is a second order derivative?

The derivative of a derivative (eg d2y/dx2) … this is relevant to finding turning points.
Also, I know when I have a quadratic equation, I can find how many real roots it has, but how would I go about finding this if the graph was a cubic as I cannot use the quadratic equation?

mmm … wait and find out! :wink:

Thanks a lot for that, didn't realize that was it, glad they are something easy & not hard.

I will do a bit of digging on the cubic then and try to work it out ;)

1. What is the derivative of a sum of functions?

The derivative of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of the derivatives of each individual function. This is also known as the sum rule of differentiation.

2. How do you find the derivative of a cubic graph?

To find the derivative of a cubic graph, you can use the power rule of differentiation. This involves multiplying the coefficient of the term by the exponent and subtracting 1 from the exponent.

3. Can the derivative of a sum of functions be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of a sum of functions can be simplified by combining like terms and simplifying the resulting expression if possible.

4. What is the significance of finding the roots of a cubic graph?

The roots of a cubic graph represent the x-intercepts of the graph, or the points where the graph crosses the x-axis. These points can provide valuable information about the behavior and solutions of the function.

5. Is it possible for a cubic graph to have more than three roots?

No, a cubic graph can only have a maximum of three roots. This is because the highest degree of a cubic function is three, which means it can only have three solutions or roots.