Max Value of f(x) for Positive x

In summary, for the function f(x) = 3sin bx + d, with positive constants b and d, the smallest positive value of x that produces the maximum value of f(x) is given by \frac{\pi}{2b} + d. This can be derived by considering the period and maximum value of the sine function.
zero_eclipse
For the function f(x) = 3sin bx + d where b and d are positive constants, determine an expression for the smallest positive value of x that produces the maximum value of f(x).
:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
oops i guess i should post what i have:

well the smaller the period of the sin graph, the smaller the value of x

as for the largest maximum value would be the amplitude + d where as d increases, the larger the f(x)
3+d at 2pi/b

So how exactly do you put that as an expression? My teacher is quite picky about these little things...

You can see that this function has it's greatest value when sin(bx) has it's greatest value. sin(bx) has a maximum value of 1. You know that the smallest argument for the sine function that gives a value of 1 is [itex]\pi /2[/itex]. Therefore:

[tex]bx = \pi /2[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{\pi}{2b}[/tex]

I think you said something like [itex]2\pi /b[/itex] which is wrong. Anyways, the expression you're looking for is:

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2b}[/tex]

1. What is the meaning of "Max Value of f(x) for Positive x"?

The "Max Value of f(x) for Positive x" refers to the maximum value that a function, denoted as f(x), can take on when the input, x, is a positive number.

2. How is the maximum value of a function determined for positive x values?

The maximum value of a function for positive x values is determined by finding the highest point on the graph of the function when the x-value is positive. This can be done by graphing the function and visually identifying the highest point, or by using calculus to find the critical points and determine which one corresponds to the maximum value.

3. Can a function have more than one maximum value for positive x values?

No, a function can only have one maximum value for positive x values. This is because a function can only have one highest point on its graph when the input is a positive number. However, a function can have multiple local maximum values if the x-values are not restricted to positive numbers.

4. How does the maximum value of a function change if the x-values are not limited to positive numbers?

If the x-values are not limited to positive numbers, the maximum value of the function may change. This is because the highest point on the graph of the function may occur at a negative or zero value of x. In this case, the maximum value would be considered for all real values of x, not just positive ones.

5. Why is it important to find the maximum value of a function for positive x values?

It is important to find the maximum value of a function for positive x values because it can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. For example, the maximum value can indicate the highest possible value that the function can reach, which can be useful in real-world applications. Additionally, finding the maximum value can help in understanding the overall shape and characteristics of the function.