Need some help for an exhibition/ artwork

• Thread starter The Omen
  • Start date
In summary: It is able to read a matrix keyboard and can control up to 36 images, each with 10 options. You would need to program it to activate the images that you want. There are many software programs that can do this.
The Omen
Hi all,

Hope I've come to the right place. I have an upcoming exhibition and need some engineering assistance with the project. Before I get into it, take a second to read a synopsis of the exhibition. That way you get a general idea of what it's in store.

The exhibition is primarily composed of 100 bucket loads of soil from 100 properties currently on the real estate market throughout Sydney's suburbs. woof! what a task! I have already gathered most of the soil. In early Jan, I'm going to get pH and EC levels/ soil analysis done on each individual soil sample to determine their general health.

After the sampling, the mass of soil accumulated will be poured onto the gallery floor, covering most of it to form a large black square, roughly 4000mm x 4000mm x 10mm high

So the questions I have for you...eessh! Whilst reading below please check out the google sketch image attached, it may help in translating my ideas. Fingers crossed.

I'm thinking of creating a pressure sensitive floor (PSF) beneath the soil spread out over the gallery floor. The PSF would be composed of 36 different pressure activation box units (PABU) @ 650 x 650mm x 5-10mm high. In these PABUs a push button would be placed in their centre, with a hollow square rubber foam surrounding it, acting as a suspension. The PABU would be encased in a timber frame and its top cover would sit on the rubber foam and would be made of ply or chip...(not sure). Once a certain weight is depressed on the top cover, it would press the push button and activate it. The push button would be hard wired to a multiplex/ matrix keyboard (?).

The multiplex/ matrix keyboard would need to be able to decipher each PABU activation and also capable of receiving separate and simultaneous PABU signals. The multiplex/ matrix keyboard would then send its signals to a computer running a programme that would then activate images. Via a projection, the programme would display a large black cell grid composed of 36 image cells (IC). Each individual IC corresponds to a single PABU. Each IC has ten images stored in its memory, displaying only one image at a time = activation of PABU. For example, anytime an individual PABU is activated, it displays a different image assigned to its IC. As there are 36 ICs and each with 10 images, that would mean 360 images are stored in the program. I really don't know how else to elaborate on this part. See image.

The idea is one thing, the practical application of it another. Does it make sense to you and if so, can I get some general assistance on what would be required for the various components. Including the exact hardware I'd require and software.

If you got time, give it some thought on how I can turn all my silly acronyms into something tangible and in whether there are more efficient ways of achieving the same result.

There are other more attractive alternatives, but extremely expensive and time consuming...check this link http://ame2.asu.edu/projects/floor/

I am a poor artist with a very tight budget.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, if I've come to the wrong forum. I'll be on my merry way.

Cheers

Attachments

• dirty.jpg
    dirty.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 374
Engineering news on Phys.org

What is the purpose of the exhibition/artwork?

The purpose of an exhibition/artwork can vary depending on the goals of the artist or organization hosting the event. It could be to showcase a specific theme or concept, to educate the audience on a particular topic, to raise awareness for a cause, or simply to display the artist's work.

How can I contribute to the exhibition/artwork?

There are several ways to contribute to an exhibition or artwork. You can volunteer your time and skills, donate materials or funds, or even participate as an artist if you have artwork that fits the theme or criteria of the exhibition. You can also promote the event through word of mouth or on social media to help spread the word.

What kind of support is needed for the exhibition/artwork?

The type of support needed for an exhibition or artwork can vary, but some common types of support include financial support, marketing and promotion, technical assistance, and manpower. It's best to check with the organizers to see what type of support they are specifically looking for.

Can I submit my own artwork for the exhibition?

If the exhibition is open to submissions, then yes, you can submit your own artwork for consideration. Make sure to follow the guidelines and submission process provided by the organizers. If the exhibition is curated and by invitation only, you may need to reach out to the organizers directly to inquire about participating.

How can I get involved with the planning and organization of the exhibition/artwork?

If you are interested in getting involved with the planning and organization of an exhibition or artwork, you can reach out to the organizers and express your interest. They may have volunteer opportunities or open positions for committee members. You can also offer your skills or expertise to assist with specific tasks or areas of the event.