Edwards will one day be president

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Edwards' stem cell stance is snake oilIn summary, Dr. Charles Krauthammer wrote an excellent article exposing more of Edwards' stem cell stance is snake oil. He claims that Edwards is only using stem cells as a political ploy to win votes, and that he has no real intention of using them in any way. He believes that Edwards is only trying to capitalize on the public's interest in stem cells, and that he does not have the knowledge or qualifications to actually do anything with them.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This guy is a superstar. I just watched his speech at the convention. WOW! Edwards has the ability to connect with people at a core level. If he is half the man I believe him to be, and barring disaster, I think Edwards will be a fixture from here on for a very long time to come. I caught a look on T Kennedy's face at one point when the crowd was going nuts. Kennedy was beaming like a proud new father.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that Edwards could be one of Kennedy's bustards.

Ivan Seeking said:
This guy is a superstar. I just watched his speech at the convention. WOW! Edwards has the ability to connect with people at a core level. If he is half the man I believe him to be, and barring disaster, I think Edwards will be a fixture from here on for a very long time to come. I caught a look on T Kennedy's face at one point when the crowd was going nuts. Kennedy was beaming like a proud new father.

Who knows, maybe we'll get 8 years Kerry/Edwards, then 8 Years Edwards/Obama, then 8 Years Obama/Republican woman, then peace and prosperity for all times...

It could happen...

Maybe...

Edwards will one day be president

No chance in hell.

Dagenais said:
No chance in hell.
No offense, but why, as a Canadian, do you seem to have such strong convictions about what will happen in American politics?

No offense, but why, as a Canadian, do you seem to have such strong convictions about what will happen in American politics?

Am I not allowed an opinion on American politics?

Canada is a neighboring Country to the USA. We share the largest border in the world.

The Government you put in place may have an effect on how friendly it is to do business with your country as well.

Anyways, no chance in hell for Kerry

Well, if you support this voting record by CSE Chairman and former House Majority Leader Dick Armey - the voice of your link - then you probably won't like Edwards. No argument here:

Block research funding for embryonic stem cells. (Jul 2001)
Voted YES on banning human cloning, including medical research. (Jul 2001)
Voted YES on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)

Voted YES on Constitutional amendment prohibiting Flag Desecration. (Jul 2001)
yadda, yadda...should protect a piece of cloth over freedom of speach...yadda, yadda...nothing more important to worry about...yadda, yadda

Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)
Voted YES on Amendment to prohibit burning the US flag. (Jun 1999)
Voted NO on funding for alternative sentencing instead of more prisons. (Jun 2000)
Voted YES on more prosecution and sentencing for juvenile crime. (Jun 1999)
Voted NO on maintaining right of habeus corpus in Death Penalty Appeals. (Mar 1996)
Voted YES on making federal death penalty appeals harder. (Feb 1995)
Voted NO on replacing death penalty with life imprisonment. (Apr 1994)
More prisons, more enforcement, effective death penalty. (Sep 1994)
Voted YES on prohibiting needle exchange & medical marijuana in DC. (Oct 1999)
Voted YES on requiring states to test students. (May 2001)
Voted YES on giving federal aid only to schools allowing voluntary prayer. (Mar 1994)
Supports a Constitutional Amendment for school prayer. (May 1997)
Voted NO on raising CAFE standards; incentives for alternative fuels. (Aug 2001)
Voted NO on prohibiting oil drilling & development in ANWR. (Aug 2001)
Voted NO on starting implementation of Kyoto Protocol. (Jun 2000)

Voted YES on banning soft money donations to national political parties. (Jul 2001)
Voted NO on banning soft money and issue ads. (Sep 1999)

Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)

Voted YES on banning physician-assisted suicide. (Oct 1999)

Voted NO on strengthening the Social Security Lockbox. (May 1999)

http://www.issues2000.org/TX/Dick_Armey.htm

As far as I'm concerned this only reflects favorably on Edwards. I am glad to vote for the guy that Dick Armey opposes. We know how he thinks.

Just another good reason to vote for Kerry/Edwards. :wink:

Last edited:
I only happened to catch the last 30 seconds of Edwards speech, but I do agree, I think after the vice presidency (let's hope), he'd have a great shot at becoming president.

I think the reason why he didn't win the democratic nomination for president is simply because he looks too fresh faced and inexperienced to be president. But he is a damn good speaker.

I saw Barack Obama's speech the other day. He's a rising star, don’t you think? I'm not sure about any of his policies but he is also a very good speaker and very passionate...though this is hardly the only reason why someone should vote for someone, but he seems like he would be able to rally support for himself though.

Edward's stem-cell stance is snake oil

Dr. Charles Krauthammer wrote an execllent article on exposing more of the Kerry/Edwards lies.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/charleskrauthammer/printck20041015.shtml
This is John Edwards on Monday at a rally in Newton, Iowa: ``If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again.''

Dr. Krauthammer points out

First, the inability of the human spinal cord to regenerate is one of the great mysteries of biology. The answer is not remotely around the corner. It could take a generation to unravel. To imply, as Edwards did, that it is imminent if only you elect the right politicians is scandalous.

Second, if the cure for spinal cord injury comes, we have no idea where it will come from. There are many lines of inquiry. Stem cell research is just one of many possibilities, and a very speculative one at that. For 30 years I have heard promises of miracle cures for paralysis (including my own, suffered as a medical student). The last fad, fetal tissue transplants, was thought to be a sure thing. Nothing came of it.

Third, the implication that Christopher Reeve was prevented from getting out of his wheelchair by the Bush stem cell policies is a travesty. Bush is the first president to approve federal funding for stem cell research. There are 22 lines of stem cells now available, up from one just two years ago. As Dr. Leon Kass, head of the President's Council on Bioethics, has written, there are 3,500 shipments of stem cells waiting for anybody who wants them.

In his Aug. 7 radio address to the nation, John Kerry referred not once but four times to the ``ban'' on stem cell research instituted by Bush. At the time, Christopher Reeve was alive, so not available for posthumous exploitation. But Ronald Reagan was available, having recently died of Alzheimer's.

The President's Council on Bioethics, on which I sit, had one of the world's foremost experts on Alzheimer's, Dr. Dennis Selkoe from Harvard, give us a lecture on the newest and most promising approaches to solving the Alzheimer's mystery. Selkoe reported remarkable progress in biochemically clearing the ``plaque'' deposits in the brain that lead to Alzheimer's. He ended his presentation without the phrase ``stem cells'' having crossed his lips.

What Dr. Krauthammer failed to points out was how the Democrats, at their National convention, took advantage of the Reagan family in their time of grief.

The Democrats are so desperate to win at all cost, they have resorted to grave robbing. They have become little more than ghouls.

I saw "Edwards will one day..." and though it was talking about Edwards Air Force Base. I think that was the first time i missed home since i moved. Bah, fie on you!

John Edwards consistently votes against any kind of tax cuts or tax reform and in favor of spending increases. In 1999 he voted against reducing taxes by $792 billion over 10 years.

Ouch

The next year he voted against limiting discretionary spending.

Double ouch.

In 2001 he voted against reducing capitol gains and President Bush’s Tax Relief Package. In 2002, he voted against permanently repealing the death tax...

Edwards supports increasing the minimum wage, a position that costs jobs for entry-level and low-income workers.

Aha

... he does not support personal retirement accounts. He does not even support a Social Security lockbox.

Wow this is looking bad

He voted against an amendment that would have given parents the right to create a tax-free educational savings account of up to $2000 per child per year to fund public or private school tuition or other educational expenses...He voted yes to grant public schools $2.4 billion to reduce class sizes and another $200 million to fund standardized testing instead of private tutoring.

Oh he's one of those guys is he? It's almost like he's picking exactly the things I think are important and doing exactly what I disagree with.

So I guess http://www.cse.org/informed/issues_template.php?issue_id=1460 is a partisan website, but does that mean that these aren't his stances on the issues?

Outcast, let me get this straight.

John Edwards touts the promise of Stem Cell research, saying people who are paralyzed could be able to walk again if Kerry is president and allows more and better stem cell funding. This, after there have been tests in which laboratory rats had been paralyzed, had stem cells injected into their spine, and regained nerve tissue and mobility. A few days lator, Christopher Reeves dies, and John Edwards is a ruthless bastard.

MEANWHILE, back in the whitehouse.

"Simply stated, there is now no doubt Saddam Hussein has weapons of Mass Destruction"
- Cheney, 8/26/02

"We do know that Saddam Hussein is actively pursuing a nuclear weapon"
- Rice, 9/10/02

"It's not knowable how long that conflict could last. It could last, you know, six days, six weeks, I dobut six months"
- Rumsfeld, 2/7/03

"We're dealing with a country that can really finance it's own reconstructoin, and relatively soon"
Wolfowitz, 3/27/03

"We know where (the weapons) are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, north and south somewhat."
- Rumsfeld, 3/30/03

and finally

"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."
Bush. 5/01/03

So after all that, which you probabally dismiss or think isn't important, you're going to hold it against John Edwards that Christopher Reeves died?

To begin with, we were not talking about Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, or Bush, we are talking about Edwards, Kerry and the Democrats.

I'm not sure why you say that Edwards was a "ruthless bastard" because Chris Reeves died. Edwards was a ruthless bastard before he ever ran for the senate. He made his money in lawsuits against doctors and the medical industry. You know they type of lawsuits that drive up the cost of malpractice insurance and drive up the cost of research. You know research like in stem cell research.
Case history

As a trial lawyer, Sen. John Edwards (D, N.C.), the Democratic vice presidential candidate, won at least 94 cases, as reported to Lawyers Weekly. Here are some statistics about them:

* 54 cases had awards exceeding $1 million.
* 31 of those were medical malpractice suits, most involving obstetrician-gynecologists.
* Altogether, Edwards reportedly won 61 malpractice cases, with awards totaling $110.4 million.
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/08/02/gvl10802.htm

This, after there have been tests in which laboratory rats had been paralyzed, had stem cells injected into their spine, and regained nerve tissue and mobility.
How can that be? I thought Kerry said
In his Aug. 7 radio address to the nation, John Kerry referred not once but four times to the ``ban'' on stem cell research instituted by Bush.

You must have not have read this. Either that or you are dismissing it as unimportant.
Bush is the first president to approve federal funding for stem cell research. There are 22 lines of stem cells now available, up from one just two years ago. As Dr. Leon Kass, head of the President's Council on Bioethics, has written, there are 3,500 shipments of stem cells waiting for anybody who wants them.
If there were 35,000 shipments of stem cells available, would that make a difference?

you're going to hold it against John Edwards that Christopher Reeves died?
Yes, he and the trial lawyers that drive up the cost doing research are partly to blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outcast said:
To begin with, we were not talking about Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, or Bush, we are talking about Edwards, Kerry and the Democrats.
So I was right, you completely dismissed them. The current administration was 100% wrong about the reason they took us to war on, but you don't seem to mind, you only seem to care that John Edwards said people like a famous actor could benefit from stem-cell research, and said actor died.

Outcast said:
I'm not sure why you say that Edwards was a "ruthless bastard" because Chris Reeves died. Edwards was a ruthless bastard before he ever ran for the senate. He made his money in lawsuits against doctors and the medical industry. You know they type of lawsuits that drive up the cost of malpractice insurance and drive up the cost of research. You know research like in stem cell research.
You want to point out a specific case in which he ruthlessly sued a doctor or the medical industry where it wasn't just? You know, the reason their are lawyers like him are to protect people who get hurt by doctors etc. Was Edwards being ruthless when he sued a pool parts company because their filter sucked out a little girls colon? Please elaborate how edwards suing against doctor incompetency or corporate negligence affected stem cell research in any way.

Outcast said:
How can that be? I thought Kerry said "bush banned stem cell research"
John Kerry is a politician. He distorts the facts, as all politicians do, let us try to hold our discourse to a higher standard than the rhetoric of politicians. However, it is true that bush has banned federal funding for any lines of stem-cells that weren't already being used in August 2001.

Outcast said:
You must have not have read this. Either that or you are dismissing it as unimportant. If there were 35,000 shipments of stem cells available, would that make a difference?
Yeah, it'd make a difference if more groups of scientists had thousands more stem cell lines and more funding towards the research.

Outcast said:
Yes, he and the trial lawyers that drive up the cost doing research are partly to blame.
Again, explain to me how trial lawyers suing doctors and corporations make it harder for the government to give money to people who want to do stem cell research.

Last edited:
I will do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen. Edwards is scum.

Outcast said:
What Dr. Krauthammer failed to points out was how the Democrats, at their National convention, took advantage of the Reagan family in their time of grief.

The Democrats are so desperate to win at all cost, they have resorted to grave robbing. They have become little more than ghouls.

What a crock of $#!t ! Ron Reagan is a part of the Reagan family. And he's been voicing his opinions both before and after the DNC.

Oh, and by the way, I think Dr. Krauthammer is despicable neo-con. I remember an op-ed he wrote for the Post about a year ago, where he doctored an transcript in order to diagnose Howard Dean as mentally unstable.

What a crock of $#!t ! Ron Reagan is a part of the Reagan family. And he's been voicing his opinions both before and after the DNC.
Did I say that Ronald Reagan was not part of the Reagan family? I'm not sure where you came up with that one from. Anyway Reagan never made many public appearances after leaving office in 1988. I don't recall him expressing his opinion on anything prior to the DNC. Since he died shortly before the DNC was held, I don't believe he was expressing his opinion after the DNC.

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/krauthammer/article/0,9565,559573,00.html
In 1978, he quit medical practice, came to Washington to direct planning in psychiatric research in the Carter Administration, and began contributing articles to The New Republic. During the Presidential campaign of 1980, he served as a speechwriter to Vice President Walter Mondale.
Yeah, sounds like a real neo-con.

Dear Outcast,

you are as blindly misinformed as you are stubbornly opinionated.

On your first point, it seems clear that you are not aware of the difference between Ron Reagan, the openly democratic son of the former President, and his father. Nor do you, in fact seem to be aware of the existence of this son.

On your second point, please Google "krauthammer neocon" and you will receive sufficient validation to my claim. What he did 25 years ago has little to do with what he thinks now. Krauthammer is openly neocon and admits it quite plainly.

Last edited:
wasteofo2 said:
So I was right, you completely dismissed them. The current administration was 100% wrong about the reason they took us to war on, but you don't seem to mind, you only seem to care that John Edwards said people like a famous actor could benefit from stem-cell research, and said actor died.
The name of the thread is Edwards will one day be president. You went off topic with the war in Iraq and the Bush administration. When I pointed it out that "we were not talking about...", you acted like you won a major debate.

You want to point out a specific case in which he ruthlessly sued a doctor or the medical industry where it wasn't just?
Its not just one case, its his whole medical malpractice carreer. He should have stuck to swimming pools. Edwards' malpractice suits leave bitter taste
You know, the reason their are lawyers like him are to protect people who get hurt by doctors etc. Was Edwards being ruthless when he sued a pool parts company because their filter sucked out a little girls colon?
Valerie Lakey and John Edwards
Please elaborate how edwards suing against doctor incompetency or corporate negligence affected stem cell research in any way.

John Kerry is a politician. He distorts the facts, as all politicians do, let us try to hold our discourse to a higher standard than the rhetoric of politicians. However, it is true that bush has banned federal funding for any lines of stem-cells that weren't already being used in August 2001.

Yeah, it'd make a difference if more groups of scientists had thousands more stem cell lines and more funding towards the research.

Again, explain to me how trial lawyers suing doctors and corporations make it harder for the government to give money to people who want to do stem cell research.
You need to learn to read English. Either that or you are a real politician the way you distort everything you read. Where did I say
trial lawyers suing doctors and corporations make it harder for the government to give money to people who want to do stem cell research?

Gokul43201 said:
Dear Outcast,

you are as blindly misinformed as you are stubbornly opinionated.

On your first point, it seems clear that you are not aware of the difference between Ron Reagan, the openly democratic son of the former President, and his father. Nor do you, in fact seem to be aware of the existence of this son.

On your second point, please Google "krauthammer neocon" and you will receive sufficient validation to my claim. What he did 25 years ago has little to do with what he thinks now. Krauthammer is openly neocon and admits it quite plainly.
You are correct, I stand corrected on both statements.

And I take back my barbs...they were perhaps a little over the edge.

Outcast said:
You are correct, I stand corrected on both statements.

Gokul43201 said:

:approve: Group Hug. :redface:

Sorry, I am off-topic, but I saw a curious photo in a magazine, and I think it was a recent issue of U.S. News & World Report. A very youthful John Kerry was standing on a platform overlooking a yacht race, and in the background John F. Kennedy Sr. was sitting in a chair watching the race. I have read that young Bill Clinton shook JFK's hand, and for all I know there may be a picture of that as well.

wasteofo2 said:
I said nothing about government funding of research. I said earlier
He made his money in lawsuits against doctors and the medical industry. You know they type of lawsuits that drive up the cost of malpractice insurance and drive up the cost of research. You know research like in stem cell research.
and

Do you understand what a hypocrite John Edwards is? He criticizes the Bush administration for not doing enough, but it is he and lawyers that are driving up the cost of doing research.

Why is there a shortage of flu vaccines? Why do we have to buy them from England? Lawyers. Pharmaceutical companies here in America don't want to manufacture flu vaccines for fear of lawsuits over adverse reaction to the flu shots.

Why did 9-11 happen? Again lawyers. The terrorist at Logan Airport set off plenty of alarms that something was wrong, but nobody wanted to stop them for fear of another lawsuit by the ACLU for racial profiling.

Gokul43201 said:
NP, I deserved it.

Outcast said:
Why did 9-11 happen? Again lawyers. The terrorist at Logan Airport set off plenty of alarms that something was wrong, but nobody wanted to stop them for fear of another lawsuit by the ACLU for racial profiling.
OK, you're either completely insane or listen to way too much Rush Limbaugh.

Rush is nothing more than a Bush lap dog.

Sometimes I wish I was completely insane. Then I could get me a nice "I love me jacket", a padded cell, some good drugs and have nothing to worry about. Maybe someday government health benefits will cover reeducation camps for people that don't trust the government.

wasteofo2 said:
OK, you're either completely insane or listen to way too much Rush Limbaugh.
As the 9-11 hijackers passed through the security checkpoints at Logan, the airlines’ Computer-Assisted Passenger Profiling System, or CAPPS, actually singled out six of them for extra baggage screening because they had purchased one-way tickets with cash – two criteria that triggered red flags in the CAPPS system.

In conjunction with the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the ACLU has lobbied hard against Arab-profiling at airports for years. “Profiles are notoriously under-inclusive,” says ACLU legislative counsel Gregory Nojeim. “Who knows who the next terrorist will appear as? It could be a grandmother. It could be a student. We just don’t know.” In their crusade to ban profiling, the ACLU and CAIR have enlisted the support of Democratic lawmakers like David Bonior, who represents a heavily Arab district in Michigan – and who, in turn, has lobbied FAA Administrator Jane Garvey.

The airline industry’s fear of such lawsuits is based on solid historical precedent. In 1993, for instance, the ACLU joined forces with the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) to sue Pan American World Airways for having detained a man of Iranian descent during the first Persian Gulf War.

In 1999, the federal government pressured Argenbright Security Inc., the nation’s largest airport security firm, to rehire seven Arab workers it had recently fired. All seven were female non-citizens hailing from Sudan, Egypt, and Afghanistan. In the wake of the 1998 US embassy bombings in Africa, United had received numerous complaints from passengers nervous about Middle Eastern Muslims overseeing airport security. The women were fired for refusing to remove their headscarves – the wearing of which they said was required by the Koran – while screening passengers. In response, they filed a religion-bias complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Representative David Bonior joined their cause, piously lecturing Americans about “widespread and systematic discrimination against Muslims and Arab-Americans in airports all across the country.”

In June 2002 the ACLU filed lawsuits on behalf of five men of Middle Eastern and Asian extraction – each of whom had been escorted off their scheduled flights by airline security agents between October and December 2001.

From 9-11 to the present day, the ACLU has vigorously opposed every governmental attempt to more effectively protect the American people’s security. It sued, for example, to prevent the implementation of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, which was passed in November 2001 and included a citizenship requirement for airport screeners. It organized protests against a “discriminatory” Justice Department and INS registration system requiring male “temporary visitors” to the US from 25 Arab and Muslim nations to register with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. It condemned the FBI’s “discriminatory” plan to count and document every mosque in the US. It protested when FBI and Homeland Security agents recently tried to track down illegal Iraqi immigrants they deemed dangerous. In Illinois, the ACLU actually set up a hotline designed to give free legal advice to undocumented Iraqis facing deportation. Former ACLU Executive Director Ira Glasser casually dismissed Americans’ concerns about illegal immigration, chalking such sentiments up to a “wave of anti-immigrant hysteria.”

On August 29, 2001, for instance, an FBI investigator in New York desperately pleaded for permission to initiate an intensive manhunt for al-Qaeda operative Khalid Almihdar, who was known to be planning something big. The Justice Department and the FBI deputy general counsel’s office both denied the request, explaining that because the evidence linking Almihdar to terrorism had been obtained through intelligence channels, it could not legally be used to justify or aid an FBI agent’s criminal investigation; in short, it would constitute a violation of Almihdar’s “civil rights.” “Someday, someone will die,” the agent wrote to his FBI superiors, “and the public will not understand why we were not more effective and throwing every resource we had at certain problems.” Thirteen days later, Almihdar took over the cockpit of American Airlines Flight 77 and crashed it into the Pentagon.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=10209

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Will Edwards actually become president?

There is no way to predict the future with certainty, but it is possible for Edwards to become president if he runs for office and wins the election.

2. What makes people think Edwards will be a good president?

This belief is based on his qualifications, experience, and leadership skills. People may also admire his policies and goals for the country.

3. Is Edwards currently running for president?

As of now, there is no indication that Edwards is running for president. However, this may change in the future.

4. What are the chances of Edwards becoming president?

The chances of Edwards becoming president depend on a variety of factors, such as his decision to run, the political climate, and his campaign strategy. It is impossible to determine an exact likelihood.

5. How long do you think it will take for Edwards to become president?

Again, it is impossible to predict the future. It could take several years or even decades for Edwards to become president, if he chooses to pursue that path. It ultimately depends on the political landscape and his own choices.