Alternating (sinusoidal) Magnetic Field

I hope this explanation helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, using Faraday's law of induction, we can determine that a coil with 75 turns and a radius of 12 cm, placed in a 0.13 T alternating magnetic field with a frequency of 60 Hz, would not be able to light a 120 V light bulb. This is due to the low current induced in the coil, which is much lower than the required current for the bulb.
1<3phys1cs

Homework Statement

Imagine that a coil consisting of 75 turns of wire shaped as a circular loop with a radius of 12 cm is placed with its face perpendicular to the direction of an alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field whose frequency is 60 Hz and whose maximum magnitude is 0.13 T (40 MN/C). Would this coil be able (in principle) to light a 120 V light bulb.

Homework Equations

I'm guessing I have to use Faraday's law of induction. Not sure what to do with the frequency though.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start, my textbook sucks and doesn't explain this at all. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. As you correctly mentioned, Faraday's law of induction can be used to determine if the coil will be able to light a 120 V light bulb. This law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. In other words, the induced EMF is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field through the loop.

To calculate the EMF induced in the coil, we can use the following equation:

EMF = -N * A * dB/dt

Where N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the area of the coil, and dB/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic field.

In this case, N = 75 turns, A = πr^2 (since the coil is circular), and dB/dt = B * ω * sin(ωt), where B is the maximum magnitude of the magnetic field (0.13 T), ω is the angular frequency (2πf, where f is the frequency in Hz), and t is the time.

So, the equation becomes:

EMF = -75 * π * (0.12)^2 * (0.13 * 2π * 60 * sin(2π * 60t))

Simplifying, we get:

EMF = -0.22 * sin(120πt)

Now, to determine if this EMF is enough to light a 120 V light bulb, we need to calculate the current that would flow through the bulb. We can use Ohm's law to do this:

I = V/R

Where V is the voltage (120 V) and R is the resistance of the bulb (which we can assume to be 100 Ω).

So, the current would be:

I = 120/100 = 1.2 A

Now, let's compare this current with the EMF calculated earlier. Since the EMF is a sine wave with a maximum value of 0.22 V, we can say that the maximum current that would flow through the bulb is also 0.22 A. This is much lower than the required 1.2 A.

Therefore, in principle, this coil would not be able to light a 120 V light bulb with the given parameters.

What is an alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field?

An alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that changes direction periodically, usually in a sinusoidal pattern. This type of magnetic field is commonly used in power generation and transmission, as well as in medical and industrial applications.

How is an alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field created?

An alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field is created by passing an alternating current through a wire or conductor. As the current flows, it creates a magnetic field that alternates in direction according to the direction of the current.

What are the properties of an alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field?

An alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field has a number of properties, including amplitude, frequency, and phase. The amplitude refers to the strength of the field, while the frequency refers to the number of cycles per second. Phase is a measure of the relationship between the magnetic field and the source of the alternating current.

What are the applications of an alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic field?

Alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including power generation and transmission, electric motors, transformers, and medical devices such as MRI machines. They are also used in industrial processes such as welding and heating.

What are the potential health effects of exposure to alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic fields?

The potential health effects of exposure to alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic fields are still being studied and debated. Some studies suggest that prolonged exposure to high levels of these fields may increase the risk of certain health conditions, while others have found no significant effects. More research is needed to fully understand the potential health risks associated with exposure to alternating (sinusoidal) magnetic fields.