Movie Physics Reviews: Check Out Intuitor.com

In summary: However, even though the Balrog's wings seemed largely ineffectual, they're still huge, creating a lot of air resistance, and the sword ought to have passed beyond the balrog prior to Gandalf overtaking it.The article did a good job of illustrating the physics problems in some of the movies. However, I think it would be helpful to have a glossary of terms at the end of the article, so that readers unfamiliar with physics terminology could still understand the article.In summary, the article discussed the physics problems in some movies. It would be helpful to have a glossary of terms at the end of the article, so that readers unfamiliar with physics terminology could still understand the article.
Crumbles
I found a brilliant site that picks out the bad physics portrayed in many movies. It even has ratings like, GP (good physics), XP (physics from an unknown universe), ...

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/

Enjoy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I have not read all of it, i found it funny. Cheers for that. Bright lights from bullets, I thought something was up. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Yeah and quite nice how they went into the effort of doing all the maths to proove it too! :smile:

Thats the reason why most films are non-fiction, stop picking holes in them and enjoy them.

My favourite: Unobtanium! :D

Andy said:
Thats the reason why most films are non-fiction, stop picking holes in them and enjoy them.

Maybe you could still enjoy them and later deal with the physics of it and learn something useful! :wink:

When Gandalf plummeted down the abyss in Moria at the beginning of TT, I was disgusted by the bad physics there.
Seemingly, a wizard in flowing robes experience a greater acceleration of gravity (or less air resistance?) than a sword!
Possibly, terminal velocities are reached faster in Middle-Earth, and thus, being more massive, Gandalf is able to overtake his sword.

However, even though the Balrog's wings seemed largely ineffectual, they're still huge, creating a lot of air resistance, and the sword ought to have passed beyond the
balrog prior to Gandalf overtaking it.

There does, of course, exist the slim possibility of Gandalf being able to manipulate the local gravitational fields a bit (him being a wizard and all), but if that were the case, PJ
really should have shown him chanting as he fell..(or perhaps not :biggrin:)

Oh, he was chanting - didn't you notice :wink:. What's the matter with you; applying 'normal' physics to wizards ? You've got to use Wizics ! :biggrin:

He was?? Damn, I have to see that film again..

i would really like to see an action movie where not only do they apply good physics but also justification for shooting off all the machine guns. i just saw alien vs. predator and couldn’t get over bringing assault rifles to an archeological expedition in Antarctica. and what’s with everyone getting airtime after being punched/kicked and not getting disgustingly wounded lately?

Wow...you actually saw AVP ? Boy, you must have an appetite for torture. :biggrin:

I got dragged to see AVP by a friend of mine.

Oh, it was awful.

I have no problem with making up imaginary physics/science for movies, so long as it's set in a fantasy environment (Star Wars or LoTR, for example). What bothers me to no end is when they make up history or science and it's a (supposed) scientist relaying the garbage in the film.

Whenever one of the characters is a scientist, I know I'm going to hate the film.

Interesting site. :smile:

I liked the article about the cigarettes and gasoline. Struck a special place with me since I replaced a Jeep's fuel pump for the first time this summer.

When you've assembled all the pump's wiring back together and insert the entire contraption back into a gasoline filled confined space and think how in just a few minutes (well, no more than a few hours, even for the home mechanic), you're going to turn the key in the ignition and send electricity through those very same wires while they're immersed in gasoline and ... Um, maybe I want to check that wiring just one more time, just in case.

One of those things I just never realized - and I'll never start my car with the quite the same confidence, again.

When Gandalf plummeted down the abyss in Moria at the beginning of TT, I was disgusted by the bad physics there.
Seemingly, a wizard in flowing robes experience a greater acceleration of gravity (or less air resistance?) than a sword!
Possibly, terminal velocities are reached faster in Middle-Earth, and thus, being more massive, Gandalf is able to overtake his sword.

Ummm, isn't it obvious that Gandalf used his super wizard magic to make himself fall faster? Duh! :tongue2:

Entropy said:
Ummm, isn't it obvious that Gandalf used his super wizard magic to make himself fall faster? Duh! :tongue2:

I DID make allowance for that fact!

1. What is "Movie Physics Reviews" on Intuitor.com?

Movie Physics Reviews is a section on the website Intuitor.com that provides reviews and analysis of the scientific accuracy and plausibility of various movies.

2. Why is it important to review the physics in movies?

While movies are meant to entertain, many also incorporate scientific elements. By reviewing the physics in movies, we can better understand how accurate or unrealistic these elements are and learn more about the real world.

3. How are movies reviewed for their physics on Intuitor.com?

Intuitor.com uses a team of scientists to review movies for their physics. They analyze key scenes and concepts and compare them to real-world principles and laws. They also take into consideration the genre and purpose of the movie.

4. Can movie physics reviews influence the accuracy of future movies?

While movie physics reviews may not directly influence the accuracy of future movies, they can bring awareness to the importance of scientific accuracy in films. This may encourage filmmakers to consult with experts and do more research to make their movies more realistic.

5. Is there a bias towards certain types of movies in the reviews?

The reviews on Intuitor.com strive to be objective and unbiased. However, it is important to note that some genres, such as science fiction, may naturally have more unrealistic elements. The reviews take this into consideration and focus on the overall scientific plausibility of the movie rather than specific genres.