I want to build a Betavoltaic Battery

In summary, the conversation is about building a "Betavoltaic Battery" using Americium sources from smoke detectors and a readily available phosphor like zinc sulphide. The budget for the project is $50, but it is suggested that a budget of $250 would be better. There are concerns about the effectiveness of using Americium and zinc sulphide, as well as the potential health hazards of working with radioactive materials. One person suggests shielding the materials with lead, while another suggests using aluminum and iron oxide mixed with a magnesium fuse.
DIYMatt
I want to build a "Betavoltaic Battery"

A while ago I got a tritium keychain that will glow for 10 years, and since then I've gotten very interested in building a generator based on this. Originally I wanted to build a conventional RTG but apparently it is hard to find radioactive materials that are warm to the touch :/

Anyway I thought this would be the place to come for some input on whether or not this would work. My plan is to use Americium sources from smoke detectors because they are easy to find. Obviously a high-beta source would be better but I don't know where to buy something like Stronium 90. The Americium would be suspended in a vial of water mixed with a readily available phosphor (possibly zinc sulphate?) which would then glow, if the stars lined up. The glowing vile would be surrounded by a small solar panel from eBay, and hopefully produce enough power for a digital watch.

There are three things I'm not sure about: would Americium cause zinc sulphate to glow, would the wavelength of zinc sulphate power a solar cell, and would the gentle glow be enough to produce any measurable power? Also my budget is $50 :)

Physics news on Phys.org

hi,

do you mean zinc suphide? not sulphate?

ok ill answer those three questions,

yes, if you are referring to zinc sulphide, it would work because I've done it myself.
i think so, but I am not sure.
i don't think the glow would generate any useful power and i think it would be barely visible,
i put an am. 241 smoke alarm source next to a sheet of zns (zink sulphide) and i had to sit in a dark room for a while before i could see the glow, i think a budget of $50 is a bit low,
i think a budget of $250 would be better

i really like your idea though, i wish you success in building that :)

Am241 smoke detector sources are quite weak -- consider the long half-life, for one. And they're not a very good photon source, which are the only things that matter for you here.

I can think of sources that would work better, but I'm not sure what regulations there are on their use outside of research.

Possibly strontium aluminate would be better than zinc sulfide, but I'm not sure that's within your budget.

By the way, what happens to the power excess of a betavoltaic cell when it is not connected? Does it turn into heat?

I can imagine that an electrode gets saturated with negative potential and pushes new electrons back inside to the nucleus. Can strong negative potential prevent beta decay or put it in equilibrium? Perhaps not, since neutrinos are involved.

Hasn't it occurred to anyone that radioactivity is quite nasty to have around.
Americium sources are tolerated because they are small, weak and the dangers of fire are more pressing.

If you collect enough to represent appreciable power, you have enough to be a serious health hazard.

AJ Bentley said:
Americium sources are tolerated because they are small, weak and the dangers of fire are more pressing.

If you collect enough to represent appreciable power, you have enough to be a serious health hazard.

loooooser! just shield it in lead, simples !

The harmfulness of radioactivity is overhyped. Single thunder gives you more X-ray radiation than all radioactive materials people have ever dug.

haael said:
The harmfulness of radioactivity is overhyped. Single thunder gives you more X-ray radiation than all radioactive materials people have ever dug.

:rolleyes: You want a Darwin Award? go right ahead.

Take aluminum, and Iron oxide, mix by weight 3 parts Alum to 8 parts IO.
  1. insert magnesium fuse
  2. light magnesium fuse
  3. run
  4. go to store
  5. buy a digital watch for $19

1. How does a Betavoltaic Battery work?

A Betavoltaic Battery works by utilizing the energy produced by the radioactive decay of a beta-emitting isotope. The beta particles emitted by the isotope interact with a semiconductor material, creating a potential difference and generating electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using a Betavoltaic Battery?

One advantage of using a Betavoltaic Battery is its long lifespan, as it relies on the continuous decay of the isotope rather than chemical reactions. It also has a high energy density and is not affected by extreme temperatures or weather conditions. Additionally, it does not produce any emissions or waste.

3. What are the limitations of a Betavoltaic Battery?

The main limitation of a Betavoltaic Battery is its low power output, as it relies on the slow decay of the isotope. This makes it more suitable for low power applications, such as powering sensors or medical implants. It also requires a constant supply of a beta-emitting isotope, which can be expensive and difficult to obtain.

4. How is the safety of a Betavoltaic Battery ensured?

Betavoltaic Batteries are designed with safety in mind and undergo rigorous testing before being used in any application. The radioactive isotope used is typically encased in a protective material, such as glass or ceramic, to prevent any harmful radiation from escaping. Additionally, the batteries are designed to be tamper-proof to avoid any potential health hazards.

5. What are the potential applications of Betavoltaic Batteries?

Betavoltaic Batteries have a wide range of potential applications, including powering medical devices such as pacemakers and hearing aids, remote sensors in harsh environments, and even consumer electronics. They can also be used in space missions, where they can provide a long-lasting and reliable power source for spacecraft and satellites.