The generalization of Newton's 2nd Law to apply to variable mass systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force and mass in Newton's second law, with a focus on the derivative of a product and how it applies to systems with changing mass. It is concluded that the most general form of Newton's second law is F=dp/dt, which holds true regardless of changes in mass and is also used in special relativity to define the relativistic generalization of force.
sedaw
F = dp/dt = d(mv)/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) = a + v(dm/dt)

i don't understand why d(mv)/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt)
can somone help ?

TNX !:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you calculate the derivative of a product?

ehild

This is simply obtained by using the product rule.

dp/dt = d/dt (mv) = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) (using product rule).

Last edited:
I thought that Newton's second law was true only for systems with constant mass.

Last edited:
Well, written in the form of
[tex] F=m \frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]
it is valid inly for constant mass system since you assume that the mass is constant :P.

But assuming, that mass is dependant on velocity, which is true (according to SR) you get what sedaw wrote.
Thus, the best, most general form of Newton's 2nd law is
[tex] F=\frac{dp}{dt} [/tex]
as it doesn't imply anything being constant ;P

irycio said:
Well, written in the form of
[tex] F=m \frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]
it is valid inly for constant mass system since you assume that the mass is constant :P.

But assuming, that mass is dependant on velocity, which is true (according to SR) you get what sedaw wrote.
Thus, the best, most general form of Newton's 2nd law is
[tex] F=\frac{dp}{dt} [/tex]
as it doesn't imply anything being constant ;P

I know that [tex]\bold{F}=\frac{d\bold{p}}{dt}[/tex] is Newton's second law, but I read that this was true only with constant masses. Also, I don't know much about special relativity (I just finished my freshman year) but I thought it proved that Galilean transformation was flawed. Since Newton's laws are based on Galilean relativity, I don't think SR can show that N2 holds even for variable masses. Can it?

Well, what you read was wrong. In nonrelativistic physics, [itex]\mathbf{F} = \mathrm{d}\mathbf{p}/\mathrm{d}t[/itex] is valid regardless of whether mass changes.

If I remember correctly, in special relativity, Newton's second law (in the above form) is used to define the relativistic generalization of force. So that equation holds true in all cases. (Caveat: there are actually a couple of ways to define the relativistic generalization of force that are not quite compatible with each other... it turns out that force is not as useful a concept in special relativity as it is in non-relativistic, Newtonian physics.)

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does Newton's 2nd Law apply to variable mass systems?

In variable mass systems, the mass of the object is not constant and can change over time. Newton's 2nd Law can still be applied in these cases by considering the change in mass and using the concept of the "center of mass."

3. Can you provide an example of a variable mass system?

One example of a variable mass system is a rocket. As the rocket burns fuel and expels it, the mass of the rocket changes and thus affects its acceleration according to Newton's 2nd Law.

4. What is the generalization of Newton's 2nd Law to apply to variable mass systems?

The generalization of Newton's 2nd Law for variable mass systems is known as the "rocket equation," which takes into account the change in mass and the exhaust velocity of the expelled mass to calculate the acceleration of the system.

5. How does the generalization of Newton's 2nd Law affect space travel?

The generalization of Newton's 2nd Law is crucial in space travel as it allows for the calculation of the necessary fuel and thrust needed to reach a desired destination. It also helps in the design and operation of spacecraft, taking into account the changing mass and acceleration of the system.